Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kristian Ronge

The Talosian Incident UV Max Demo Pack

Hello all,

During my spare time for the last couple of weeks I've put together a full UV max pack for "The Talosian Incident", in honour of the WAD's 10th anniversary.

Copy/paste from the .txt:
"When "The Talosian Incident" was released 10 years ago, I had just gotten Internet access and this was among the first mapsets I downloaded. Therefore, some of these maps are favourites of mine (even though most of them have aged considerably, and some weren't very good even in 1997). Whenever favourite WADs are mentioned on the Doomworld forums, one person always names "The Talosian Incident" -- namely, Owen "SargeBaldy" Lloyd.

Therefore, this demo pack is dedicated to him."

Get the demo pack here. :-)

Cool! I was messing with that one just a couple of weeks ago. Looking forward to the demos. Thanks.

Kristian Ronge said about map17:
I didn't do this one "true" max style, as I can't really see how you're supposed to kill the Cyberdemons at the end (there's nowhere near enough ammo, and killing them through infighting would take an unbelievable amount of time -- and, consequently, skill). I'd love to see someone take it on as a TAS project, though, and will buy anyone who succeeds a pint.

Two questions.

First question, a pint of what :P?

Second question, could I get a pint of chocolate ice cream and a 2-Liter bottle of Pepsi so I can get all jizzed up tonight for no apparent reason :P?

I say that because I did the so called "impossible". Map17 true UV-Max in 7:30.

...Non-TAS'd. Not one bit.

Also, it was only my 2nd attempt at it. I will say though that are two extremely close calls. Damn cybies :P.

I did have very little ammo left when the final cybie fell. 10 shells and 1 rocket. That's it. I did miss 1 or 2 bullet boxes though :P.

One other note...I used only TALOSL.WAD to record it and had TALOSG.WAD in my glboom-plus .cfg file. The .bin file to combine the two doesn't work for me since I'm on XP here. Hopefully that isn't going to cause any problems. I don't think it will, but better to point this out than not to at all.

About the needlessly tough start on map16, I'd suggest not opening the door leading outside til the first three imps are killed. I tried this dinking about in god-mode and made it through the pack with no trouble whatsoever 3 times. Not sure if you'll try again on this map (And I wouldn't blame you either. I don't particularly care much for this map myself as well), but it's something I thought I'd point out.

At any rate, I'll be sending this map17 true UV-Max to Ops now.

BTW, great job on the demopack :)! Was fun to watch.

Anima Zero said:

One other note...I used only TALOSL.WAD to record it and had TALOSG.WAD in my glboom-plus .cfg file. The .bin file to combine the two doesn't work for me since I'm on XP here. Hopefully that isn't going to cause any problems. I don't think it will, but better to point this out than not to at all.

I don't see that that should lead to any demo sync problems (all the original demos, and Kristian's new ones, play back OK with these wads just loaded directly from the zip), or give you any unfair advantages. Though you could have added all three wad files to your command line - wouldn't that be simpler? Also, in any cases where you actually need to do something DOS-like that XP won't allow, you can use Dosbox - it's fairly easy to use, once you've got to grips with it.

Grazza said:

I don't see that that should lead to any demo sync problems (all the original demos, and Kristian's new ones, play back OK with these wads just loaded directly from the zip), or give you any unfair advantages. Though you could have added all three wad files to your command line - wouldn't that be simpler? Also, in any cases where you actually need to do something DOS-like that XP won't allow, you can use Dosbox - it's fairly easy to use, once you've got to grips with it.

*Is a dunce*

I didn't think to add all 3 files to my command line :P. Although I had FFX's Normal Battle music playing while I recorded this, so the music file wouldn't have been much use.

Kristian, Excellent job! My personal favorites are probably maps 6 thru about 12. There were some real close calls in the demos, nice job. A real blast to watch.

Just grabbing that map 17 demo as well. That must be something to see. How many stinking CB's are there in the end of that thing? More than a football team it looks like when they are coming at you.

edit:typo

Anima Zero said:
Two questions.
First question, a pint of what :P?

Beverage of choice! :-D

Second question, could I get a pint of chocolate ice cream and a 2-Liter bottle of Pepsi so I can get all jizzed up tonight for no apparent reason :P?

I say that because I did the so called "impossible". Map17 true UV-Max in 7:30.

...Non-TAS'd. Not one bit.

Anima ... you are THE MAN! Absolutely wonderful! I didn't even *dare* attempt it at all. :-DDD I'm a man of my word, so if/when we ever meet, remind me of that pint of choice. :-)

BTW, great job on the demopack :)! Was fun to watch.

Thank you very much. Oh, and thank you as well, Gene, for your kind comments.

Just one small comment:

Anima Zero said in ta17-730.txt:
Switch to the RL. Like before, the more clumped up they are, the better. Any kind of splash damage helps out a ton here.

Cyberdemons are (like Spider Masterminds) immune to splash damage. Hope this info helps with future battle-planning!

Yeah, I noticed that too when I read his .txt. Anyway, I've changed my comments on map 17 slightly, in light of Anima's achievement. :-)

EDIT:
I made a couple of "true max" attempts on map 17 too, just for fun, but I didn't get close to killing all Cybers with the existing ammo (there would be at least 3-4 Cybers left). DMTHA says the hitpoint-to-ammo ratio is 1.51 -- that's including 4 Lost Souls in the calculations, but it's still remarkably high.

Anima. WOW! If I had not seen you do it I would not have believed map 17 was completable in true max style. Great job!

Heh, if you liked my 7:30 run, get ready, because I did two more runs, both UV-Max style for map17 (Well, for one, I'm not sure, just read on).

First one I did has a time of 6:58. I'm a little concerned if the first arachnotrons on the level fell because I literally got 4-5 extra arachs that spawned on my side of the starting area before the middle platform raised up enough for me to cross. I did see two arach corpses (I think) when I came back to refill bullet and SG shell ammo though, so perhaps they did die.

Heck if I know if there's a way to check if the original two arachs got killed with some kind of program, but just in case, I provided another maxrun for this map. It's slower of course with a time of 7:09, but I know for sure the original two arachs are dead here.

So...packaged them both up in one zipfile and will be sending off to Ops right now.

Anima Zero said:

Heck if I know if there's a way to check if the original two arachs got killed with some kind of program

Prboom-plus has a walkcam. Activate that while watching the demo and keep an eye on those two arachs. If you increase the gamespeed a little when watching, then it should be very quick to verify.

Grazza said:

Prboom-plus has a walkcam. Activate that while watching the demo and keep an eye on those two arachs. If you increase the gamespeed a little when watching, then it should be very quick to verify.

That eh? Alrighty, if I get some time here I'll try that (Playing another game ATM). If my demos get posted before I get around to doing this, then could someone check it for me?

There is another way too (maybe preferable if things get really messy): add "-trace_thingshealth 52 53" to the command line, and you'll be able to see if they end up at 0 or less. Don't use this when recording, of course!