Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
captmellow

Doom3 vs. Kreed

Hello, people. I've noticed the striking screenshots of Kreed, & the comparisons to Doom3 are inevitable. When I first read a headline at Blues a few montsh ago & looked, I wasn't expecting much, so I was shocked that it looks to be of the same caliber of quality as Carmack's latest project. What do you people think? I know that Kreed does not have the same dynamic lighting/shadows as Doom3, but wow, it still looks amazingly good.

Heya Captain.

You might be interesting in reading/adding to this thread in Doom3. There's already been some good discussion and comments about the game there.

*Sigh* Why can't people make their posts the right places!?

Kreed has smaller textures than Unreal II and a far lower polycount than DooM 3.

Oh yeah, I'm supposed to bitch about the placement of this post.

Personally, Kreed reminds me of a unreal tournament engine with lightning, which looks better than most other games, and a higher polycount.

But Doom 3's lightning is "realistic" lightning. The lightning in Kreed doesn't affect the models the right way, whereas Doom 3's lightning provide shadowing effects across the characters' faces and bodies.

And while the weapons in Kreed look interesting, they still have a rather cartoonish look imo.

But Doom 3's lightning is "realistic" lightning. The lightning in Kreed doesn't affect the models the right way, whereas Doom 3's lightning provide shadowing effects across the characters' faces and bodies.

I don't recall any lightning effects in any of the Doom3 footage that's been leaked.

I don't recall any lightning effects in any of the Doom3 footage that's been leaked.

What do you mean when you say "lightning effects"?
I'm talking about things like the fan shadow in the hallway (shown in the macworld video), the way light shines on a character n' stuff and the way light distorts shadows (the scene were the brown critter walks down a hall with rotating light)

Oh, you mean lighting effects?

In that case, yeah, Doom3's look pretty good.

Considering that Kreed is being developed by a RUSSIAN COMPANY, I'd say the graphics there are VERY good, most definetly not on par with DOOM, but still the best effort of our guys ever!

Considering that Kreed is being developed by a RUSSIAN COMPANY, I'd say the graphics there are VERY good, most definetly not on par with DOOM, but still the best effort of our guys ever!

Excactly! I've already mentioned in another Kreed thread that I think the game looks awesome, taking into consideration that it's being developed by a Russian company.

No, that's wrong.

Who cares if they're russians, indians or brazilians? Game developers are eccentric minorities that are excluded from the country's level of education and stuff. There's a potential id software in every country.

In this case, you people should be congratulating them because this is their first effort, not because they live in Russia and managed to pull a great game. What's really hard is to see game companies arise from the coder's garage.