Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Janizdreg

vanilla or Vanilla?

Should "(x)anilla Doom" be written with v or V?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Should "(x)anilla Doom" be written with v or V?

• vanilla Doom (lower case!)
    • Vanilla Doom (capital!)
    • Other (define below)

Searcher said:

But who really cares? and Why?

Surprise surprise, I care (enough to justify the existance of this thread at least). Call it morbid interest if you will, but I've noticed that some people call the original DOS Doom exes vanilla Doom, some Vanilla Doom, and I'd like to know why this dispersion exists.

Neither. Just Doom. After all, the executable is called DOOM.EXE (or DOOM2.EXE), and not vanilla-doom.exe. But if I use it, it's just an adjective for emphasis or clarification, appropriately in lowercase.

Nilla Doom. I don't know what nilla means, but vanilla is some kind of sweet food, but Doom doesn't have any taste, so vanilla Doom doesn't make sense whatsoever, except as a cliche, and I dislike cliches.

Bloodshedder said:

Lower case, because adding "vanilla" to "Doom" does not somehow make it a proper adjective.

Maybe the people who write it with a capital V consider "Vanilla Doom" a proper noun, a name of sorts for the original executables, comparable to, say, the name of the Bad Dudes video game.

printz said:

vanilla is some kind of sweet food

Vanilla isn't food, it's a flavour you get from Orchids.

Janizdreg said:
Maybe the people who write it with a capital V consider "Vanilla Doom" a proper noun, a name of sorts for the original executables, comparable to, say, the name of the Bad Dudes video game.

Possibly; that's why I think it's wrong. Since it's not really its name, or part of it, and just something we add (thus an adjective) to distinguish the plain game and the addons for it from stuff depending on a modified source.

The DOOM wiki writes it lowercase.

printz said:

Nilla Doom. I don't know what nilla means, but vanilla is some kind of sweet food, but Doom doesn't have any taste, so vanilla Doom doesn't make sense whatsoever, except as a cliche, and I dislike cliches.

I don't see a cliche in this. "vanilla" or also "plain vanilla" is a comon metaphor, afaIk.

myk said:

Possibly; that's why I think it's wrong. Since it's not really its name, or part of it, and just something we add (thus an adjective) to distinguish the plain game and the addons for it from stuff depending on a modified source.

I fully agree. Personally, I would like to see the lower case form being fully preferred at the Doomworld front page, at the Doom Wiki and preferably in every other "official" context. And unlike myk pointed out, the Doom Wiki is actually inconsistent in its capitalization/non-capitalization of vanilla Doom, as can be witnessed, for example, here (CAPS) and here (lower case).

Dr. Zin said:

Well, I'd be hard pressed to call the substitute "Vanilla". It'd be like calling Sweetener, Sugar. Which is probably why the susbstitute to Vanilla is called Vanillin

kristus said:

Which is probably why the susbstitute to Vanilla is called Vanillin

Vanillin "is the primary component of the extract of the vanilla bean." Perhaps you are referring to the fact that vanillin can be produced synthetically?

Janizdreg said:
And unlike myk pointed out, the Doom Wiki is actually inconsistent in its capitalization/non-capitalization of vanilla Doom, as can be witnessed, for example, here (CAPS) and here (lower case).

Ah, I had not noticed that, as I had looked only in the vanilla entry, although I did see a similar inconsistency in the Wikipedia article on engines for DOOM. We can always fix these, though...

Vanilla Doom should be spelt with a capital letter at the beginning of a sentence, but vanilla Doom should start with a lowercase letter in the middle of a sentence :)

Bloodshedder said:

Vanillin "is the primary component of the extract of the vanilla bean." Perhaps you are referring to the fact that vanillin can be produced synthetically?

Oops, my bad.

Inferno said:

Not to be mean, but does it really matter?

No, and I'd like to think it would take longer than 13-14 years before this is what Doomers spend their time discussing.

GGG said:
No, and I'd like to think it would take longer than 13-14 years before this is what Doomers spend their time discussing.

Yeah, and I'd like to think the idiots wouldn't be posting in forum threads with subjects they're not even interested in, by then.