Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Vegeta

Petition for artists (Icon of Sin walking model, link to sketch included)

Well this is dumb I admit it, but as it was never asked before..

Does anybody have the skills and will to create a model (phisical or poly based) for this?
http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/3281/doompickg7.jpg

It should look great, and could create a kick ass new monster for wads if adapted to sprites.

--
BTW for these who are not familiar with this pic, the author is Edmundo Bourdeu, author of Zan Zan and Batman DOOM.

Sorry, I'm not experienced with creating models. But I will say that your idea is deffinetly not dumb. The monster is massive in size, and seeing something like this in game would be an awesome experience.

You'd have to use zdoom to support a sprite that large ;) I had the idea of a walking Baphomet a long time ago, but I figured he would be scaled down to about the size of a Cyberdemon, maybe a little larger. 3D modeling would probably be easier if you found someone who's really good at it. Unfortunately modelers are even more rare than sprite artists in this community. You might have luck looking elsewhere, like in communities that actually still have artists ;) The Castlevania community is chock full of them, for example. Check out the concept art they did for my CV fanfic:

http://eternity.mancubus.net/cmc/charart.html

Pretty awesome stuff. If I waited around here to find somebody willing to do similar work, I'd still be waiting 10 years from now :P

I've seen that picture posted a dozen times now, and still no one's modelled it, eh? I've always reckoned that it was because of the bloody turd coming out from under it.

Coopersville said:

I've seen that picture posted a dozen times now, and still no one's modelled it, eh? I've always reckoned that it was because of the bloody turd coming out from under it.

I'm pretty sure that's a tail.

And this would definitely be cool in sprite form. The only thing I think I would change is to make the ribcage a bit larger. However, I doubt it will ever happen. I certainly don't have the skill.

But I never pictured the Icon of Sin having a humanoid body. I think in my mind it was more animal like, maybe with an extra pair of limbs and even tentacles.

I think I read somewhere that ID wanted to have a full-size Baphomet, but it wasn't possible from a technical standpoint, due to the Doom engine limitations.

Personally, I like him as a giant wall hanging. If I ever sculpted that, I'd do it as a big relief portrait that I could hang on the wall like a painting (kind of like a McFarlane Toys 3D movie poster).

As far getting artists to make something for you: It seems a lot of people have this idea in their head that artists have nothing better to do with their time than make other people's stuff for them. What would your answer be if some stranger came up to you and wanted you to spend days, if not weeks, making something for them for free?

Scuba Steve said:

Sorry, but those are all pretty amateurish and poor.

Well that would be your sorry opinion, but Jorge Fuentes is an amazing artist and it's hard to believe you can't see that. Some of the character sketches he did for me were quick ones, btw. His best work is even more impressive.

How about this. Let's see you do a better Mas Valen. I know you won't step up to the challenge though. And even if you did, it wouldn't reflect the character ideas from my story nearly as close as Jorge's. The guy freaking read my mind on this stuff. Rosalind is absolutely perfectly how I envisioned her, perhaps aside from some elements of her attire, which I've come to accept as superior to my original vision at any rate.

First of all, "genius," and I use that term in a wholly sarcastic manner, nothing was being compared. I linked to the pictures in reference to my comment about this community being extremely short on artists who are actually willing to work on projects.

Second, judging from your interests you wouldn't know good art if someone busted the Mona Lisa over your head.

So in short, GOMFI.

leileilol's interests said:

braiiiiiins...........

Nonsense, zombies not knowing anything about art is just a tired stereotype.

Anyway, Quasar, check yourself before you wreck yourself. You're nuts about that guy, we understand.

BZzzt. Nice try, but I don't have to "step up" to your challenge to critique someone's work. Your friend's work isn't terrible, but like I said, ameturish. There are noticeable anatomical issues, the poses lack dynamics and feel powerless, the attempted anime look falls short of respectable quality anime and feels like a western art school student's attempt and lighting is soft and weak... there is no range of real highlights and shadows and they feel muted and washed out.

This isn't an art forum, and like I said, his art isn't bad... but there is clearly room for improvement. Can I do better? Irrelevant.

I suppose you have some points. There are always ways things can be better. But my main point in showing them was not that I think Jorge Fuentes is the greatest artist ever, but rather that I went looking for artists and received in return something with which I am personally very satisfied. That is something that is just not easy to do in this community. There was a time when that wasn't the case, but it was many years ago. I'm not sure what you could do now to put together a real team aside from actually employing people to do work for you, and that would require a budget the likes of which nobody I know has ;)

Vegeta: try looking at the Imp body parts while sculpting for the Baphomet. Even better, replace an Imp head you might have with a Doom Goat head.

I imagined once a "hell servant" sort of monster that was an imp with a MARBFACE or UltDoomBox head, designed with rather powerful fireball attacks.

I remember a sprite made by Lil' White Mouse, that contained the icon of sin head. Does anyone have a link to her site?

Another chance could be the Icon of Sin to be a flying creature similar to Maledict (from ROE), which I think was more or less inspired by the icon of sin, judging from the human head on its inside.

And MmM, it wasn't my intention to offend any artist, that's why I didn't ask any artist in particular. I asked this because I think is something that everybody would enjoy, and I want to encourage this work, that I'm surprised nobody tried sistematicaly.
My apologies if I wasn't clear, I have a lot of respect for artists, and I know you (artists) allways have a project in hands, and in case you don't it's because you lack the time for that. Yet exists the posibility that someone say, "hey certain project should be cool" and the idea get the attention of someone.