Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

How can i convert mp3 files to MUS and MIDI files?

Is there a program that can convert mp3 files to MUS and MIDI files?
MP3 files dont seem to work with wads. And using winrar to change mp3 files does not seem to work.

This has been asked before, and no, there isn't any straightforward way. They are fundamentally different ways to store music, and the way to "convert" them would be more a musician to listen to the mp3 and, using his skill and judgement, try to create a midi file that approximates to it. There are tools that try to do this automatically, but as you'll discover if you try them, they lack much in the way of skill and judgement.

There are plenty of ports that can play MP3 files, BTW. If you are trying to use one that is supposed to support MP3 files and are having problems, say which and someone will probably be able to help.

I am using Doomsday. The thing is that the slumped editor does not seem to know what a mp3 file is. Next to the lump name it just sais: Unknown.

So? It only means that Slumped doesn't know what to do with it itself but it will never touch its contents. If you add it to a WAD it will be in there without any change whatsoever.

The easiest way to use an MP3, OGG etc in Dday is to place the MP3 in the wad with the same name as the track you wish to replace (which of course also works for many other ports, such as ZDoom).

However MP3, OGG etc music does not work in Dday 1.9 Beta5 on Windows. You have to either use an earlier version (v1.8.6, 1.9 Beta4 etc) or 1.9 Beta5.1.

Grazza said:

For future reference :)

http://dengine.net/dew/index.php?title=Main_Page

...since Slides guide, though good, is out of date now in some areas.

Vermil said:

The easiest way to use an MP3, OGG etc in Dday is to place the MP3 in the wad with the same name as the track you wish to replace (which of course also works for many other ports, such as ZDoom).

However MP3, OGG etc music does not work in Dday 1.9 Beta5 on Windows. You have to either use an earlier version (v1.8.6, 1.9 Beta4 etc) or 1.9 Beta5.1.

For future reference :)

http://dengine.net/dew/index.php?title=Main_Page

...since Slides guide, though good, is out of date now in some areas.

Why? Why does a older version of Doomsday have mp3 support but not the latest one?!?

Probably because it's a beta. Occasionally those have to temporarily disable some features.

Actually, the reason it doesn't work is due to a regression in the audio API Doomsday makes use of to play MP3s. Apparently if the MP3 makes use of the newer ID3 tag format, the API we use cant handle it and plays nothing.

Obviously, we can't fix the cause of the problem as it is not in Doomsday. However, in a future version (i.e. before the full release of 1.9.0) we will implement a workaround which will strip an MP3 of its tags before being passed to the audio API for playback.

DaniJ said:

Actually, the reason it doesn't work is due to a regression in the audio API Doomsday makes use of to play MP3s. Apparently if the MP3 makes use of the newer ID3 tag format, the API we use cant handle it and plays nothing.

Obviously, we can't fix the cause of the problem as it is not in Doomsday. However, in a future version (i.e. before the full release of 1.9.0) we will implement a workaround which will strip an MP3 of its tags before being passed to the audio API for playback.

I thought beta5 couldn't play any mp3/ogg etc music in windows, while it was beta5.1 that had the id3 tag problem. Me bad.