Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
darknation

Hyperpower!

I'm listening to it for the first time now, but it already seems ages ahead of With Teeth.

I'm trying to work out what happened to the rest of the good album after Capital G began. I seriously couldn't stop laughing.

No kidding. Two of the songs seemed to have the same drum beat, only with different sample. And the intro to "capital G" made me think of that Michael Jackson song.

It definitely lived up to the hype that was built up around it with the Year Zero ARG

Bucket said:

nd the intro to "capital G" made me think of that Michael Jackson song.

haha, you too? :-D

That'd be "The Way You Make Me Feel" by the way.

Wow... well... so far... he really should've stopped after Pretty Hate Machine. Amazing how someone can still keep bitching about the same things after 18 years... and not change his music all that time. Hell, I think the best work he's ever done is the Quake sounds/music.

I hope they like my email address. Trentreznorisabitch@pussywillow.com.

But really, thanks for the link, I haven't laughed this hard for a while. I swear to god it's a soundrack for the new Blast Out game. He really just doesn't care anymore, and it's pretty obvious. He's made enough money, and he knows he has enough fans that will buy this tripe to make it worth the 10 days he spent "working" on it. I can already see all the teenagers scratching their wrists with thumbtacks listening to this and thinking "he really understands me".

Jello said:

my vagina is full of sand and camels

anyone who thinks that PHM is the best (commercial) album reznor has put out is (a) an idiot and (b) a retard. This automatically invalidates your opinion.

Jello said:

I can already see all the teenagers scratching their wrists with thumbtacks listening to this and thinking "he really understands me".

Yes because an album about aliens intervening in human affairs because they think they're fucked up is instantly relatable to millions of middle American kids.

GooberMan said:

Yes because an album about aliens intervening in human affairs because they think they're fucked up is instantly relatable to millions of middle American kids.

You'd be surprised what at what middle american kids can misinterpret. Especially when it's packaged in the same kind of whiny, self absorbed crap that Reznor has always put out. That being said, I didn't notice that it was about aliens at all, if so, then he's far more gone than I ever thought. Being completely devoured by your own psyche,ideas, and experiences can be a good good thing (ala Neutral Milk Hotel) however in this case, it's just more of the mediocre pap that he's been putting out for the last 10 years. I used to love Nine Inch Nails, Pretty Hate Machine was one of my favorite albums, as was The Downward Spiral... then I got out of highschool. It seems that Trent Reznor never did. And if it really is about aliens meddling in our affairs, then he's even more immature than I thought. There's no more evidence to suggest aliens being involved with human evolution than there is to suggest a god meddling with human evolution.

darknation said:

anyone who thinks that PHM is the best (commercial) album reznor has put out is (a) an idiot and (b) a retard. This automatically invalidates your opinion.

Ah yes, I should reply to this. How does this invalidate my opinion? Considering it seems to be the most truthful album he's ever put out. The majority of what he's done since has just seemed to be noise, trying to emulate the likes of Aphex Twin cross breeded with Joy Division. It's not interesting to listen to, it's extremely boring for "industrial", and it all just seems to be bitching about how terrible his life is, even though he has millions of fans/dollars. I don't even really like PHM, but at least I can listen to it. "I still recall the taste of your tears.Echoing your voice just like the ringing in my ears. My favorite dreams of you still wash ashore. Scraping through my head 'till I don't want to sleep anymore." Versues "Just how deep do you believe?
Will you bite the hand that feeds? Will you chew until it bleeds? Can you get up off your knees? Are you brave enough to see? Do you want to change it?" Neither of them are terribly deep or insightful, but seeing as how there's a 16 year or so gap between them, you'd figure he'd grow a bit, instead of reverting farther. The new album is laughable at best, as was "with teeth". He's far past his prime. He should just stop making music and continue the family line in the HVAC business, they both blow, but at least one of them keeps you comfortable.

first, if it is misinterpreted, then that is the problem of middle america. You can't blame the mouth that is speaking for the ears being retarded and not listening.

We'll ignore the obvious irony here.

But moving swiftly on, Broken is light years ahead of PHM. Both sonically, lyrically and emtionally. TDS is better than broken, adding the aspect of concept to the above. The Fragile is a glorious trainwreck of an album that is, again, an evolutionary step away from TDS.

We'll bypass with teeth, as it does actually suck in comparison to the rest of his catalogue. Fair point, straight rock is not his strong point, lesson learned.

Year zero is again a totally different step forward. It doesn't sound like anything in his previous catalogue. It's not reznor whining about himself, which is pretty new by his standards. Lyrically it's not exactly complex, but he never has been.

Looks like evolution to me. Just because it's evolving into something you don't like doesn't invalidate that. If I were you, I'd be pissing on certain bands that will remain un-named yet put out exactly the same album every two years with slightly different lyrics.

Accusing NIN of being a static unevolving band is probably the weakest arguement you could make against them. There are plenty of other, more valid avenues of attack.

Which brings me nicely back to the reason why you are (a) an idiot and (b) a retard.

Sorry jello, I momenterally forgot my love for you in a bout of seething anger, rage and dispair. I am the wife beater, and I only hit you because I love you, and for that I am sorry.

Forgive me.

baronofhell said:

The worst thing that ever happened to id software was when Trent Reznor left Doom 3. Nuff said.

As much as I'd like to listen to this, I think I'm going to wait the twelve days and buy the album.

baronofhell said:

The worst thing that ever happened to id software was when Trent Reznor left Doom 3. Nuff said.

Why did he leave, anyway?

AndrewB said:

The worst thing that ever happened to id software was Doom 3. Nuff said.

Why say that? Apart from the hell level(s) (too monotonous), the game recreated quite well the quality of Doom Bible / Knee Deep.

printz said:

Why say that? Apart from the hell level(s) (too monotonous), the game recreated quite well the quality of Doom Bible / Knee Deep.

*snicker*

Heh, good thread.

I like the comment about Reznor being self-absorbed.

TBH, I never met a successful musician person who wasn't.

Hmm, I might actually just go ahead and buy this one.

Granted it is not all good. I think the first half of the album is sorta lame, but it picks up at My Violent Heart and becomes really good from there on.

Meet your Master, The Greater Good, The Great Destroyer, Another Version of the Truth and Zero Sum are all awesome tracks.

Haha, I don't know if I should hate or <3 Reznor for this...

AndrewB said:
*snicker*

STFU. I'm frickin' tired of people constantly bashing Doom 3. Doom 3 was a good game, damnit! Granted, it wasn't nearly as good as Half-Life 2, and it may not have been true to the original, but it was still a damn good game.

Heh, oddly enough I was listening to the album when I stumbled across this thread.

Bucket said:

And the intro to "capital G" made me think of that Michael Jackson song.

Sounds a lot like this one old KMFDM song (More and Faster).

Anyway, PHM, Broken, TDS, Fragile, and With Teeth all had their own different styles. This album seems to finally bring them all together into one thing. I keep hearing elements of each of these albums come in at various parts of the various tracks here, sometimes two or three at a time. Pretty sweet. The tracks I'm really digging right now are The Good Soldier, The Greater Good, Another Version of the Truth, In This Twilight, and Zero Sum. I'm very much getting this when it comes out.

Also, I was interpreting "The Presence" to be more of a manifestation of God/Mother Nature coming to get revenge on humanity for destroying the Earth in more ways than one. The thing about the fingertips being in the ground when people see it is kind of a clue.

And Jello, STFU and listen to Broken. Most underrated NIN album ever.

Jello said:

You'd be surprised what at what middle american kids can misinterpret.

I'm sorry, this blatant self justification made me laugh, and the content of your post made me laugh even more. Have you ever seen The Day The Earth Stood Still? The Prescence reminds me of that movie, except done in Trent's usual lyrical hilarity. How exactly is alien interference immature?

More to the point, why am I defending this album? o_O