Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

bah, 80 megs is nothin

My friend has a megawad with 10 maps at 280 megs! XP

(course he also has a bunch of unneeded material stolen from other games and inserted by his jackass brother...)

Wow this looks and sounds quite impressive. I really don't care of the 80 megs, my comp can handle that.

It won't be 80 megs in the end. I doubt it will even be in a .wad format. Just record to video, upload to Youtube and save everyone a headache. I have a good portion of the structure done. Made some soundscapes and ambient noise. Still havn't written anything for dialog yet..

Sounds great! I watched blahbalicious a long time ago and thought it was freaking hilarious so if this is in the same vein as blahbalicious then I'm all for it. You could also put it on some machinima website but I'm not sure an old game like doom can be considered machinima material.

Quote from blahbalicious: Blah blahba blah! Blah Blabah!

Ok, the singer for my band is providing me with a screenplay and wants to get in on the production aspect. He went to school for writing screenplays, I think we're going to do some 1970s horror mixed with surrealism like Tetsuo The Iron Man.

Here's where all the magic is happening:

Pic

Pic

Pic

Pic

And the title/theme song I made, the vocal samples are removed in the new version and it's going to be a abbreviated version:

Link

Probably be a little bit before another progress update, set is about 90% done.

Changing gears

I'm really digging the flow of this map. With all my free time I think I'm going to incorporate in game cinematics over the course of a playable hub I started working on. I scrapped the original soundtrack idea and made some dynamic ambient tracks that change with the map and it's progression. This is going with the movie sequences as well.

When the Weyland-Yutani Corporation and the Union Aerospace Corporation co fund a project to document and research malicious creatures not of earthly origin to stem the repeated collapse of human society as we know it, only good can come of it. Right?

Another shot of the first hub on GZdoom. Cut down to 24 megs, zipped about 11. Still need to start doing sprite work (any takers?), DECORATE lump and try and finish the first hub before the end of time.

Imp-aliens? Heh, I've always felt that with the shape of their mouths and the way they hiss, Imps do bring xenomorphs to mind a bit. Plus they're DOOM's stock cannon fodder, just as the xenomorphs are Aliens'.

Looks great. can't wait for this.
I Don't care about the size neither.

Inferno said:

I really don't care of the 80 megs, my comp can handle that.

Me and my 56k modem hate you.

Janitor said:

Me and my 56k modem hate you.

:P

But seriously, I know what you mean, my last computer ran like total crap.

Btw Ed, I'm not too sure if its too soon to ask, but do you have a date your aiming to release this? Just curious.

bryant robinson said:

My that looks outstanding! Wish I can make some details like that. Also are you Ed C. from the 'mdm' series?

Yeah, it's been a while since I've done any single player.. I'm relearning how to map as I go. For some reason this computer and my ACS compiler aren't getting along, moved everything to my music studio.

A lot of the size is music, I can always make a lite version, just take the raw midi that I run to my synths and transcribe it to the GM instrumentation. I want to release sometime around the end of next month or early summer. I work pretty fast but we have a lot going on this summer, if I miss the window of opportunity than it'll end up being later. If there's anyone that wants to help at all with any of the graphics or some of the zdoom lumps (Decorate!) it'll be a big help.

Steeveeo said:

why dont you use OGG format sounds if the current ones are too large?

Because it screws up quality a bit and causes music to sound a little unclear(if music is clear) of course in MP3>OGG conversion

only if you either a) start out with a poor quality MP3, or b) are compressing waaayy too far!

Standard CD quality MP3s are 128 kbps. I have successfully decreased the size by half in pretty much all my music by converting to OGG (Vorbis, did I forget to mention that and does it matter?). I think you may be able to go to 32 safely with a little quality loss, but it cant be all that much. Vorbis can be compressed pretty small before the quality gets bad (like 24 kbps 22,500 hz Mono).

I will sure be looking forward to playing this. I would also like to see/have a "lite" version when you release. To me, it is all about the battle and not about the music, even though many others heartily dis-agree.