Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Carnevil

Good speaker systems

Alright, so for the past 5 years or so, I've owned a speaker system by Klipsch. The sound quality has been fantastic and everything, but recently it died: of the two connectors in the back of the subwoofer that go out to the two speakers, now only the right one works. So, basically I'm down to one speaker (plus my subwoofer). Unfortunately, after doing some looking around, my scenario seems to be all too common amongst Klipsch products (EDIT: Actually, the model I have has gotten very good reviews. Other models have not).

So, who makes good, reliable speakers? The most important factors for me are that they sound good, and are going to last awhile (though I guess my old speakers had a good run). I'd be willing to save up and shell out more if it means the first two criteria are met.

Suggestions?

(Oh yeah, I should note that these are for my PC).

Bose make some nice stuff (both speakers and headphones - I was sorely tempted recently to splash out on a pair of their headphones, but managed to resist). A friend of mine is a professional musician and speaks highly of the sound quality from Bose products, in case you're looking for a more expert recommendation than just my idle thoughts on the matter.

I have some Harmon Kardon speakers, and find them pretty decent, though I don't use them heavily, so can't really assess their longevity.

I use Panasonic speakers. Granted, they're connected to the stereo system which my computer feeds into, but still, that's the way to go IMHO.

I've actually resolved my issue; it had something to do with my sound card. I'm now using my onboard sound, and my speakers work perfectly now!

So yeah, in related news, I'd have to recommend the Klipsch 2.1 PowerMedia :P

Logitech Z-10.

After 5 years or sheer stupidity, a company finally makes TWO GOOD SPEAKERS.

Had em for a few months now, they're an easy 9/10 for quality, but I don't think they like being shaken up too much.

Anything Bose is usually very good. I had a Bose system in my old car, and I miss it much : (

Bloodshedder said:

Logitech, Creative, Harmon Kardon, Klipsch, MidiLand...

Creative right here. 6 speakers in all..(Well 5 speakers and a sub) all plugged into my SB X-FI Xtreme Music sound card.

If you're looking for some really high-end speakers, check out M-Audio's Studiophile LX4 lineup (it's a 2.1-speaker set, but you can pay extra for the additional speakers to make it 5.1); the cons are
1) You buy them from the website (or its branches) because BestBuy, TigerDirect, Newegg, etc. doesn't sell em, which leads me to my other point-
2) They are sold from that website at a high price, which may not be worth it if you are looking for a good deal.

Bose speakers all the way. I have Bose speakers from the 80s that sound better than the downstairs speakers from the 90s and the speakers in my room from the 00s

Inferno said:

Anything Bose is usually very good.

That sentence is kind of funny for anyone who knows German.

caco_killer said:

I've had a great pair of Altec Lansing speakers for several years now. They even have a headphone plug on them.

Altec Lansing sucks, I had some of their computer speakers. The sub fucked up so that it had to stay on one setting all the time or it wouldn't work at all, then the speakers died one day. It didn't even last two years.

I have a logitech 5.1 System, I cant remember the exact 'model'number. But theyre excellent.

Danarchy said:

That sentence is kind of funny for anyone who knows German.

Does it translate to something in particular?

Technically it's spelled "böse", usually translated "badly"/"worse"/"worst" depending on context, sometimes used to signify entities as evil.

Yeah, I always read Bose as Böse and I'm like "hehe, evil speakers".

Lüt said:

Technically it's spelled "böse", usually translated "badly"/"worse"/"worst" depending on context

Which is why Bose speakers are ripoffs!