Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Siggi

The Crosshair thread!

What do you think of the crosshair.  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the crosshair.

• Awesome, won`t play without it.
    • I preffer it being there.
    • Don`t care whether it`s there or not.
    • I preffer it not being there.
    • Hate them, death to crosshair users.

What do you think of crosshairs?

Is it there because you can't aim without it?
Is it there because you couldn't be arsed whether it is there or not?
Do you turn your crosshair off because it's of little use to you?

Discuss.

PS: Think all FPS games, not just Doom this is in EE for a reason :P

I general, I need a crosshair, but there are some games whose gameplay works in a way where I don't always require it, namely Jedi Knight, and Gears of War.

Can't give any sort of blanket response to this. In some games it is relevant, and in others it isn't.

In fact this consideration isn't restricted to games. My camera will display a "crosshair" in some modes (to show what it is basing its settings upon), but not in others, where it would just be misleading.

I use the crosshair sometimes, but for the most part I play simulation-type FPSs and I don't feel they're appropriate. Ironsights are good enough.

Yup. Even in doom. Fuck that "classic feel" they're goddamn useful things to have.

P.S. I hate counterstrike lying whore of a crosshair.

For most modern fps games, I can't see why not. It makes it easier for the game to be played, thus less irritation.
For a stealth or "police = you" fps game, I'd prefer a "hold the barrel of the gun at eye level and use the gun's built-in sight" method.
For team-based deathmatch games, I'd like it so a player's crosshair is visible to everyone. That way, it'd be more realistic. In reality, crosshairs for handheld weapons give away your presence.

I prefer having a crosshair, especially when sniping, but in games where the gun is centered (wolf3d, doom, heretic, etc.) i don't mind the absence of one.

Bank said:

He's probably referring to laser sights.

Correct.

Well there are also scopes and collimating sites that superimpose a crosshair without projecting it on the target.

Dr. Zin said:

Well there are also scopes and collimating sites that superimpose a crosshair without projecting it on the target.

Well, I figured those were similar enough to gun mounted sights, seeing as you'd have to hold the sight/scope to your eye or at eye level.

Dr. Zin said:

But the idea of a game crosshair is that regardless of where you hold your gun, the correct crosshair appears. Laser sights have the advantage of not requiring you to bring the gun up to your eye to line up sights, but, a red dot appearing on someone's forehead isn't particularly inconspicuous either.

Bank said:

But the idea of a game crosshair is that regardless of where you hold your gun, the correct crosshair appears. Laser sights have the advantage of not requiring you to bring the gun up to your eye to line up sights,

They don't require you to, but for any sort of practical accuracy the gun needs to be in a properly supported hold, which coincidentally brings a sight to the center of focus.

If games wanted to be really realistic with laser sights they would have them bouncing around all over the place, rather than sitting perfectly still in one spot.

GGG said:

I'd like it so a player's crosshair is visible to everyone. That way, it'd be more realistic. In reality, crosshairs for handheld weapons give away your presence.

Agreed.

The only games i can think of off hand that i have used it for would be quake/quake2/quakeIII arena/doom3/quake4 and half life 2 (probably others) and it is a necessary component to my playing ability i would have to say. any game that requires quick lightning fast reflex's where your given an instantaneous range of target is beneficial.

I've been using them for the longest time, even in Doom. But lately I've started to question their existance. If the weapon is supposed to be a marksman weapon or have a laser sight, they usually do. So why do you got a crosshair for every weapon in your arsenal.. even fists and whatever melee weapon you got.
I think that games like Doom3 for instance, would be more fun w/o the crosshair.

So, you could really say that the crosshair is a filthy cheat in any game. I still wouldn't play any multiplayer game w/o them though. It'd just be stupid to make it harder than necessary on yourself, since everyone else is most likely using them.

There are games that doesn't have any crosshair for some of the weapons though. Like RTCW IIRC.

I need to be able to pinpoint my chainsaw blade insertion or my mits for precise ripping and the subsequent tearing.

It really does depend on the game. Old game like doom with no headshots, no way.

Something like hl2 or css, absolutely can't do without it for precision.

I fail it as it is with the crosshair, although I could probably still play a few oldschool games without one.

Some FPS are just unplayable without crosshairs, and in particular any game using side-placed weapons and no form of autoaim.

Vanilla Doom doesn't need them, unless you play with all kind of autoaim completely or with non-centered weapon mods.

I won't vote because there is no "depends on the game" option.

Really doesn't matter too much to me. If it's there, sure I'll use it. If it's not, I won't be losing sleep over it

Mancubus II said:

I need to be able to pinpoint my chainsaw blade insertion or my mits for precise ripping and the subsequent tearing.

I didn't know you had to be precise to be a man-and-a-half. :)