Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

32-Unit Drop (Trick)

Yay, new trick, kind of. Possibly many of you have noticed this before (with the thought "How the hell did I end up here?"), but I don't recall any discussion of it being deliberately used as a trick.

Anyway, it is possible to fall down through a 32-unit gap in much the same way that you can glide through a 32-unit gap.

short demo on MM2 map19 just to show the idea

My impression is that the dynamics are akin to the flat-face 32-unit glide (i.e. low movement speed needed). In the MM2 map19 example, I find it easier in an east-west direction than north-south (which I didn't succeed with at all in fact). However, I don't know if that is a general rule, or something specific, or just my incompetence.

Maybe this trick idea could be used for some fairly drastic short-cuts, or perhaps just for a little time-saving.

xit-vono said:

Reminds me of the hr02 speedruns.

Yes, I'm sure it is very closely related. In all the 32-unit glides that I can recall where there was a height difference, the player dropped down to the floor level of the 32-unit gap as soon as the glide started. That's where the idea came from, in fact.

Belial said:

I've had it happen to me in PL21, at the megasphere pillar.

Now that would make for a neat trick if you couldn't just glide around it normally. :(

I got this effect accidentally in Ksutra map02, while attempting the archie jump (not much use there, as you just drop down into the lava and die). Now that I think about it, that was a north-south direction.

wow. interesting.... because it plays with where the engine thinks you are on the z-axis.
very hard to find places to use it... certainly could design a map to exploit this trick.
very cool.

Damn, this trick already appears in one my KS2 map ... so well now it's known and will be perhaps easy to find there.
I found this kind of trick in Ksutra map02 before exit place btw.

I doubt I am the only one to wonder this, but is this principle the same reason we sometimes fall through 3d bridges when creeping slowly across them. Anyone care to speculate or does anyone actually know?

Sounds like an interesting thing to actually exploit in creating a map.

I encountered this quite a few times. But it often got me stuck in a 32 units wide section... :)

The one in the Iwad I can think about is in map21, at the RL pedestal. I remember falling thru the switches side one time, and wondered what happened :)