Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EvilDeaditeBoy

A new kind of WAD

Theres been an idea bouncing around my head for awhile. As most of you know, there are several different kinds of WAD's. Joke WADS's,DM WAD's, Mega Wad's, Community WAD's and so forth. I was recently playing around in DoomBuilder with Skulltag config when I got an idea to take a bunch of pistol-toting scripted marines, check them off as "friendly", put them on one side with me and put a bunch of zombies on the other and get them to kill the shit out of eachother.I put a little exit switch behind the horde of angry zombies. The idea is for me and my buddies to kill all the zombies and then get to the exit switch. I call it a "battle WAD". I'm sure it's been done before but never really considered an actually kind of WAD. Lag could be a problem if you have an insane number of monsters and marines. It dosn't just have to be marines either thanks to the magic of the "friendly" checkbox. I'd give a demo but I don't know how to upload WAD's. Anyway, what do you people think?

i think it would be some fun,but the marines use the same "intelligence" as the monsters do,so they are pretty dumb. the only real use for scripted marines (in my opinion) is for cutscenes or for very short parts of a story where you,for example,lead a platoon of marines (btw.: can one use the word "platoon" in connection with "marine" or is there some limitation?)

yours,farhaven

This is actually a cool idea. It would be cool in later levels you and other marines get access to better weapons and armor, but as the levels go on the enemies get harder as well. It would also be interesting if the amount of marines left after the fight were transferred to the next level, so it is essentially key for you to try and keep your buddies alive.

I'm for it.

I've seen things like this done for a third party mod for Half-Life called Sven Coop and it's always turned out pretty well. I'm sure it would pretty fun for Doom as well. The lack of any real advanced A.I. for the marines might be a bit of a problem, but I'm sure you could fix that with ACS scripting (You could have the marines follow a certain path so it gives AT LEAST the vague impression that they're performing some kind of tactic.

Maes: You're forgetting that that wad was made by GLASSYMAN, an immature dumbass who's only excuse for his maps sucking was that the reviewers took bad screenshots of his wads (Despite the fact that all you had to do to know it sucked was play it).

There was a wad for edge that was based along what you were saying, the maps werent great but it was good fun none the less, i just cant remember the name!!!

You can force the npc to follow a node path and at the same time kill all the monsters they find. I did this with an old wad of mine, I could send it to you if you want to check it out as a sample. The main problem of it is that as I don't know a shit about scripting, and the friendly flag wasn't available on the time, it requires a dummy sector with a player thing moving in a conveyor velt.

I just got done playing the WAD by Giulio Gallassi in which you kill Wills and fuck, I'm offended. First off, Wills is an awesome mapper. How can anyone forget the majesty of "How not to be Seen"? I like jokewads and have played quite a lot of them but the best I have ever played are by Wills. That map also insulted people who played doomguys pimp adventures which makes fisting cyberdemons fun! No wonder Maes hates Giulio's WAD! And that WAD is nothing like what I was talking about except the fact that you have allies. Long live Wills!

EvilDeaditeBoy said:

I just got done playing the WAD by Giulio Gallassi

Galassi

Wills is an awesome mapper.

No doubt.

How can anyone forget the majesty of "How not to be Seen"?

Yes, that is a great jokewad. My brother made his wad because he was insulted by Wills who made Giulio Galassi must die.

That map also insulted people who played doomguys pimp adventures which makes fisting cyberdemons fun!

No, Giulio didn't want to insult them. He also is a fan of cybie.wad!

Long live Wills!

Wills is dead...

EvilDeaditeBoy said:

That map also insulted people who played doomguys pimp adventures which makes fisting cyberdemons fun! No wonder Maes hates Giulio's WAD!

WTF are you saying??!

I just love Gamarra maps, and I find the pimp mod references awesome, I even feature in the latest map by Giulio Galassi. I just wrote "it sounds familiar and not too promising" because when thinking about "allies" I think of Giulio's maps :-p aka it's a novelty idea (having AI controlled sidekicks) but nothing exceptional like what was expected in this thread.

Christ...

EvilDeaditeBoy said:

I just got done playing the WAD by Giulio Gallassi in which you kill Wills and fuck, I'm offended. First off, Wills is an awesome mapper. How can anyone forget the majesty of "How not to be Seen"? I like jokewads and have played quite a lot of them but the best I have ever played are by Wills. That map also insulted people who played doomguys pimp adventures which makes fisting cyberdemons fun! No wonder Maes hates Giulio's WAD! And that WAD is nothing like what I was talking about except the fact that you have allies. Long live Wills!

Galassy (AKA Glassyman, Glassyman2) or however the hell you spell his name is an immature little kid (He still has an obsession with Pokemon) who responds to criticism by lashing out at people who anger him by making them die in his wads (Something tells me that after his latest losering he will no doubt flame every single moderator and admin on the website).

PS: Just so you know, Maes was joking. He really does hate Gamarra's maps.

Craigs said:

PS: Just so you know, Maes was joking. He really does hate Gamarra's maps.

"RIP AND TEAR!"

Nah...I really don't find them offensive or annoying. The "Gamarra" series were something straight out of 1994, but the new Gamarra Soul series with the scripting and stories and stuff are actually very good as far as jokewads go, and among the very few jokewads that actually made me laugh.

I may be kinda biased because of my inclusion (tee hee) but that's just the cherry on the cake :-)

I like how people tout around idea's EDGE did ages ago and pretend they are new and innovative. Just search for Imp's Nest, and remember to install OpenAL and OpenGL (i think, it's always ran straight away from me with no fiddling at all).

BTW, These battles are never as cool or exciting as they are in your imagination. Monster-intelligence, bullet-shooting allies usually do far more damage to themselves than the enemy. EDGE itself can make your 'allies' immune to fire from thier own side, but that means only the ones with a clear shot will hurt the enemy, the rest behind them might as well be shooting a wall

deathbringer said:

I like how people tout around idea's EDGE did ages ago and pretend they are new and innovative.

Welcome to the world of Doom source ports. If it's not in ZDoom, nobody cares.

Snarboo said:

That's a good one!

..wait, you're kidding, right?

._.

Snarboo said:

Troll

TheDarkArchon said:

Judging by the latest Gamerra WAD, Doomworld is next.

With the end of Glassyman, do you think he'll keep uploading the wads?

Snarboo said:

fucking mong

TheDarkArchon said:

Judging by the latest Gamerra WAD, Doomworld is next.

And if you played his latest offering, you'll know the following people in this thread will be his next targets.

I don't remeber the name of the wad, but a while back I remember playing a ZDoom (possible GZDoom, can't quite remember) modification where you were on the team of Marines and then you fight off different types of Demons. There was a count of Marines and Demons in the top right (custom HUD Icons) where it has a number that displayed how many of each side was left. Not all Demons or Marines were in play at the same time, but rather when a Demon or Marine died one took his place until the number reached zero and then no more Marines or Demons come out. There were various types of Demons/Zombies (Demons, Cacos (I think), Imps, Shotgun/Zombie/Chaingun-man, etc.) and Marines (Pistol, Shotgun, Chaingun, and I think a Plasma). The AI was not good, but it did somethings.

It was just a demo, with 1 complete level and 1 unfinished level. There was also a title map. It was kind of fun.

Hoenstly the idea doesn't appeal to me too much. I could see this being good as a part of a map/end of game battle type thing, but map after map of this same type of the just seems too repetetive to me

Kirby said:

Hoenstly the idea doesn't appeal to me too much. I could see this being good as a part of a map/end of game battle type thing, but map after map of this same type of the just seems too repetetive to me

That would be cool in an epic-super-cool TC for Doom, where every level is a unique one. Starting with the standard switch/key hunt to eventually a full-scale war Marines vs. Demons like I said earlier. That would be one interesting TC, throw in some custom sprites, textures, flats, skies, monsters, and weapons and you get the most awesome TC ever made. Oh and also a level that plays out like the Invasion game-type of Skulltag, would be a cool level.