Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
VileSlay

basalisk

here are some character sketches I did of different forms of the basalisk. these are for a fantasy story I'm working on. these are rough unfinished drawings. the second and third pics are cut off because the sketch pad is bigger than the scanner I have. thats also why the head of the second drawing is a lil' blurry. I tried a couple of things to sharpen it up, but it didn't look right.

here is some background on the creature according to my story: the basalisk in it's normal form is slightly larger and longer than an iguana. they have a paralyzing venom which they can spit over long distances (haven't decided the range yet). the pic of the normal basalisk has it's head reared back to spit. it fills it's mouth with the venom, rears its head back, and then catapults the venom at it's target. the basalisk is only found on island of the world.

the second form of the basalisk is called the "beast" form. as the evil force that threatens the world slowly takes control of the island, many of the beasts that live in the jungle began to growlarger and fiercer. the basalisk beast is one such example. they are about the size of a cow and are very dangerous. they have paralyzing stares and can spit their venom, which now has tissue destroying qualities.

the third form is called the "Vile-Form". a Vile-Formed creature is one that is twisted by the Evil to be one of it's servants. the basalisk Vile-Form is about 2 stories tall. it is a heavily armoured bipedal mostrosity. it's stare can turn a person to stone. it also has very toxic venom and can expel noxious fumes from it's mouth. it is also imbued with Earth Lore and is able to use spells like earthquake and upheaval. it was bred to released in to the unconquered southern region of the isalnd as a means to crush all resistance and ensure comlete victory and total domination.

Very nice reptiles; these are probably the best drawings I've seen from you to date. The anatomy looks very solid and believable. The second two pics remind me a lot of the new interpretation of Godzilla.

I also sometimes have drawings that won't fit on my scanner. It's a pain in the arse, but if you have the time and the patience, you can scan different parts of the drawing and then assemble then together with any number of art programs. So long as you scan everything at the same dpi and keep things straight, it works pretty good.

Good pics. The detail on the physique on each is very unique. Also the body parts are proportionatly. The last two pics do look like the new godzilla in terms of facial features. I also like the growth aspect you incorporated into the basilisks. Nice work.

thanks for the comments. the G.I.N.O (Gojira In Name Only) look really stems from the fact that both designs are based on different species of iguanas. I did actually like the design of G.I.N.O., but it was no Gojira.

BTW, don't know if any of you have seen Gojira: Final Wars. it's the last Gojira movie, at least for the time being, and takes themes from several classic Gojira movies, like aliens taking control of several kaiju a'la Destroy All Monsters. one of the monsters was G.I.N.O., which they simply called Zilla. he's the first kaiju that Gojira fights. Zilla gets pwnt. the title of the chapter on the dvd is "Pretender to the throne". gotta love that if your a Gojira fan.

Yeah I saw final wars, and zilla did get the shaft I must say.

Is it true they are not gonna make any more films for a few years?

yep, thats what I heard. from what I heard they wanted to give the big guy a break for at least a decade. I figure it's a way to make the product scarce and then revive it for a new generation. thats pretty much what they did in '85 and '99.