Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tormentor667

[Skulltag] UTNT - Invasion

Description
This is a 5-MAP project for Skulltag's multiplayer Invasion mode based in the world of "Torment & Torture" and is meant to be a little cake before the main mod "The Ultimate Torment & Torture" is released. If you liked the gorgeous battles in my previous maps, you will love this little invasion mapset!

Info
Game: Doom2
Port: Skulltag 0.97c3 (0.97d recommended, GZDoom renderer)
Map: T6INV01 - T6INV05
Type: Invasion, Coop recommended
Date Finished: April 24th, 2007

Screenshots

Link / Download
http://www.realm667.com -> Doom Projects

Online Server
There's none yet online but I'd appreciate it if someone launches one, as I'd like to see on my own how these maps work out online. ;) Other than that: Have fun!

What happened with a mod you were working on, I can't remember its name right now, I remember it's game style was similar to invasion, but a bit more complex. I guess it was abandoned, any chance you include stuff from it here?

Edit: nevermind I didn't note this is already finished.

The lava level makes me angry. It's very annoying how if I accidentally press one little button while picking up ammo between waves I can end up dead and have to restart the level from wave 1. You should have just made the lava do heavy damage instead of kill you instantly.

The first map was cool though. I have to finish the rest later.

Vegeta said:

What happened with a mod you were working on, I can't remember its name right now, I remember it's game style was similar to invasion, but a bit more complex. I guess it was abandoned, any chance you include stuff from it here?

Edit: nevermind I didn't note this is already finished.

Stronghold, you mean? Last I heard it's still in-progress, though I recall one of the team members recently saying progress seems non-existant at the moment.

NiGHTMARE said:

Stronghold, you mean? Last I heard it's still in-progress, though I recall one of the team members recently saying progress seems non-existant at the moment.

Indeed, it's not cancelld but paused till KDiZD is done!

I really enjoyed it. I'll admit, I was never a fan of Tormentor's previous work, but this was amazing!
There were two maps that needed work though

map2
This map had some serious gameplay issues. You start off in an extremely cramped room that is seperated in two by an instant death lava pool. There is a bridge that goes across the lava, but that's about it. For the first 2 waves you must make a near impossible stand in that cramped room which offers almost no room to move. There is also a rather dense fog in the building that doesn't exactly help either... After you defeat those two waves, the map opens up a wee bit which offers a little more room to manuever but not much. The map improves considerably when you reach the outdoor area though. There was also a HUGE HOM in the outdoor area on one of the overhanging rocks. If you could make the indoor areas a little bit bigger, maybe make the lava do a set ammount of damage instead of killing the player instantly, and fix the HOM then this map may have a chance

Map 4

There was just one thing I had against this map...
It looked almost EXACTLY like the map "Oblivion Gate" from alinv.wad... There were some added areas and the level had been retextured, but that was about it. My suggestion would be to start this map over again, as it might cause some trouble.

The music choice for the hellish levels could have been better. I liked the use of Unreal music, but the techno music seemed a bit out of place in the hell themed levels... Try some of the other music, like the music that started to play when you entered the Sunspire.

My personal favorite maps were map 1 and map 3

I seem to be pretty terrible because the furthest I've made it is Wave 8, I think, on the first map. And changing the difficulty settings doesn't appear to do much, if anything.

Tormentor667 said:

Indeed, it's not cancelld but paused till KDiZD is done!

Sooo...when's that going to be?

First at all: "HEHE" ;) This is like christmas, Craigs actually likes what I have produced, lucky day ;) Concerning the criticism and problems you have now with the maps: T

MAP02
he instand death lava (damage = 50 btw) seems to be annoying indeed. I never had problems with it but others have as well so, if there is ever going to be a v2.0 I will fix it. But the difficulty of the starting room and the first few waves... well, I never had the problem and for me it was quite easy to solve that tight part. The later waves are by far more difficult, but maybe this depends on the style of playing ;) Could you be so kind and make a little screenshot of the HOM please?

MAP04
This map was heavily inspired by Alpha Invasion so it looks most likely similar to that one although it's still different in terms of gameplay, but you are indeed right. But why does it cause trouble? I played it already with 3 other players online and the feedback about it was quite good :(

Conc. the music, when there will be a v2.0, I will do something about it as you seem to be right with that, the hellish levels need something different. Nevertheless, glad that you actually liked it :) It gives me a good feeling, thx for that :)

I thought the music worked pretty well. Probably too much repetition for a 5 map set, but it still had me engaged throughout.

Great cool stuff here.Thanks T667.
But I got troubles whith the sky clouds in MAP01 I can see through,
and there is a box whith zdoom-squared-pattern-non-texture-thingy.
I bet my skulltag is too old? too recent?

v0.97c3

I am in open gl mode.
I downloaded the latest skulltag version.
Can someone post a link to the working version?

That's a problem with the openGL renderer used in the current version of Skulltag (it doesn't support line_horizon, which this skybox uses). Fortunately, the next version of Skulltag will use a different openGL renderer, and won't have this problem.

For now, you'll have to either ignore it or switch to software mode.

I did have that problem on map 1 (around the 5th wave), but nowhere else. I thought it was a fluke, so I didn't mention it.

Awesome! I wasn't too much fan of your works like austerity but this was
fun and amazing this time :) pretty neat

This was alright. It was kind of hard, but it was what I expected from you, Torm. "No gameplay, I promise"... haha, there is a lot of gameplay because it's invasion, but I didn't like the maps too much... seemed too simple for you. Good work on trying this out, now get done on those other projects you've started and have not completed.