Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Strife

Change obituary text in ZDoom?

I created a custom monster using WhackEd to replace one of the default monsters from Doom 2. How do I change the ZDoom obituary text so that it says "The player was killed by (insert name of custom monster)"?

find the "strings" option in whacked, then edit the obit you want to change.

if its for ZDoom there's also the option of recreating the monster in a DECORATE lump, I find it a little harder but a lot more flexible...

Steeveeo said:

if its for ZDoom there's also the option of recreating the monster in a DECORATE lump, I find it a little harder but a lot more flexible...

yeah, but his "custom monster" is really just a modified version of an existing monster.

you can do that, just put:

Actor (monstername) (id) replaces (old monster)

I think thats the syntax, if not please correct me... (I dont have XWE on this comp ATM)

Start Here and look Here for the obituary section. If you don't know how to build the file (which is nothing more than a notepad file) look Here for an example of a complete monster. Its really not that hard to do basic stuff in decorate anymore.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the info. ^_^

I've just created the DECORATE lump and tested the WAD in ZDoom and Legacy. The monster appears properly in both programs, along with the obituary text in ZDoom. Sweetness!

I think the way it works, is if the WAD is run in Legacy, the DECORATE lump doesn't work completely. But because I also have a Dehacked lump in the WAD, and since my custom monster replaces an existing Doom monster instead of being 'stand-alone', the monster still appears in other engines that don't support DECORATE.