Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Steeveeo

Need Mech Sprites

Hey all, Steeveeo here.

I am (like almost everyone else here) working on an ambitious wad project.

One or more of the levels has to do with the player being up in the air in a flying mech fighting other enemies in flying mechs (or maybe just imps strapped to rocket packs :P). The thing is, I have not found any sprite packs here or on /idgames that have a prefferable sprite and I have no 3D mech models to take pictures of, save the ones from Mechwarrior 4, but those are designed to look slow, clunky, and Earthbound...

I am nowhere near able to create/edit any good-enough-looking sprites for this project.

Note that the entire project WILL NOT be entirely mech based, as that would be boring and redundant. But I still need a player mech and a couple enemy mechs each with a crashing frame (falling so it will work for the "Crash:" state in DECORATE), and possibly be able to work with the ZDoom palette translation for the player color....maybe...

I will provide the Cockpit frames, so no need to worry about those (Im sure I can make/find a good one of those at least)

Sure this sounds overly ambitious, but I already have the coding in place for it and only need the sprite frames. Plus it looks really weird having the flying imps (with the default imp sprites) spouting smoke as they fall to the ground and explode...

So any and all help (and I mean helpful help) will be greatly appreciated and credited in the wad!

So anyone here able to create the sprites or have any idea where to find them?

(PS, Cockpit frames comin up shortly or ASAP)

(PPS, Is there any way to change the headbob of the player in ZDoom? It would look awkward to have the smooth bob of the player if you're in a robotic mech)

If I recall correctly, Enjay had made a mech or two a while back (if I'm thinking of the right person). I could be wrong. I was thinking it was Star Wars related...

Again I could be way off base here, but I'll try to rummage through my years worth of work and archives and see if I can dig anything up.

In the mean time, if you have some 3D games with Mechs in them, and a model viewer, you can always take snap shots of them in different positions, and past them with transparent backgrounds in PSP. Of course this leaves a white boarder that needs to be cleaned up half the time, but it's something.

Thanks for the help, but I have to say this, it cannot be a copyrighted design or a fan model, unless I get permission from the original author...

I tried to get some sprites from the Bushwacker from MW4 (fan model, got permission), but it looks like crap right now because it was definitely not supposed to fly! XP

I guess I only need the player mech sprite because I could most likely make the enemies just be jets or some other kind of ship that looks vaguely alien...

If anyone does find something good (maybe even slightly Gundam-like), let me know! I could probably put in the Jumpjet flames on the back to make it look like its supposed to fly.

Again, any and all help is appreciated!

GzStarWars: No way does this come under "Fair Use". That really only applies to situations such as criticism or review, and other situations where there is an obvious *need* to cite some portions of the work being discussed, and there is no substitute for doing so. It does not cover using someone else's material without permission as a convenient alternative to creating your own.

If Steeveeo wants to be in the clear on this (as he says he does), then he needs permission in one way or another.

Skins.wad had one mech skin sprite, but it doesn't fly. I dunno if they ripped it from somewhere illegally either, considering they got stuff like Strife and Heretic inside it.

yeah I had a vague feeling about those too

I also think that cockpit number one would be better suited for a fighter plane...anyone agree?

((BTW whats with the sideways glance?))

As for your Mech, I'm still looking, I've got one last DVD I need to track down, and hopefully I'll find what I'm looking for on there. I was pretty sure I saw some mechs for DOOM on some random DOOM sprite resource page I had been to a year or two ago, can't recall it's adress though or even if it is still around.

At any rate, I'm curious what you have up your sleeve Steve, the cockpits look good! Are you doing this with Hi-Res sprites?

You don't see many DOOM maps with flying sequences in them.

Super Sonic Doom had one I think...it was an OK quality Sonic style target battle, 'cept you were wearing a "jetpack" and flying toward the boss's ship, dodging ordnance, and tryin to shoot the guy down. It was short, but pretty entertaining...

So far I'm not finding any of those Mech or Mechs that I thought I had saved, but I'll keep looking.

As for the DOOM Sprite Repository page or what ever it was called. I can't seem to find it anywhere, so I assume it went off line which is a shame because they had a shitload of sprites up there for anyone to use that wanted them, and I now recall for sure that there were at least 2 or 3 mechs because I remember working on a Half-Lifeish project that I never finished where I had a mech enemy that I grabbed from that site.

hmm...my friend has a cool flying version of an alien walker from Battlezone II known as a Mauler.

The one on the left is the original, the right is what I want to use...

I would SO like to use this...but the dude cant find where he put the damn thing! So Im screwed right now...

was that in Doom or somtm else? The hud looks familiar, but the graphics look a little old and flat to be from somtm like ZDoom that allows for custom fonts and hudmessages AFAIK...or was that intended?

Steeveeo said:

was that in Doom or somtm else? The hud looks familiar, but the graphics look a little old and flat to be from somtm like ZDoom that allows for custom fonts and hudmessages AFAIK...or was that intended?

Its for edge..

Don't know about a sprite at the moment, but I did like Cockpit 3 the best, had a good balance.

well, at least you tried....right now Im stuck using a crappy Bushwacker sprite that was OBVIOUSLY never meant to fly...