Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello people,

here's a little WIP I've been working on for a week or two. It features a plot (though I still have to work it out right) about the translocator I made sometime ago,so far 2 maps are finished,the first of which is a kind of UAC base where you receive your new objectives,the second one is the first mission. It also features a vending system which allows the player to buy new ammunition for so called "Credits" which he/she receives by killing enemies. The wad adds three new keybinding to the options menu,"Ingame menu up","Ingame menu down" and "Ingame menu select",which are bound to U,J and K by default

I'd like to receive your suggestions,rants,comments,whatever you might have to say about this.

Screenshots:

The file itself:
http://www.savefile.com/files/699392

yours,farhaven

I must put in a plea for mod authors to, please, stop using the ZDoom font to print on screen text. If you have to, make some on screen graphics for an interface, ANYTHING but the zdoom font printed on the screen. It is really tacky and looks cheezy. It is especially bad for use in dialog, when I see "<Sarge>..." I immediately tune out whatever is coming because it is boring to read. If you need to, add images, word balloons, but SOMETHING other than on screen text. Also, please allow the player to skip any text or cutscene at any time.

/rant

Nice idea there, now can you utilize it correctly throughout a bunch of maps?

BTW, I disagree with SS over there....sorta...

I disagree because not everyone knows how to make a custom hudfont and/or make a speech system out of it.

On a side note, a lot of people (like you) forget to put HUDMSG_LOG in the ACS lines of speech, so when your text prints too fast for most people to read (like yours does), they cant look back in the console to see what was said...

Scuba Steve said:

Also, please allow the player to skip any text or cutscene at any time.

Yup. Nothing like getting killed by some boss monster and being forced to watch the boring minute-long intro cutscene again.

Steeveeo said:

BTW, I disagree with SS over there....sorta...

It doesn't have to be fancy, just used appropriately. If you're not going to use onscreen text effectively, don't use it at all. AgentSpork's Simplicity used it well, a simple Title and message for each level... others have chosen to show an all black screen and print the text there. SOMETHING other than printing text dead center on the screen while the cut scene happens behind it. It's so tacky and overused.

Steeveeo said:

I disagree because not everyone knows how to make a custom hudfont and/or make a speech system out of it.

Then they shouldn't be doing it at all.

thanks for the replies and suggestions,I'll try to improve the dialogue system as fast as possible.