Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lorenzo

The Prometheus Experiment

Hello !
I update my site with a new episode i've created: "The Prometheus Experiment", 7 new level for DooM2/ZDooM. You can download it from my site

djb.doomwadstation.com

or from the archives, where i've just uploaded it.
In this wad there is a new Boss, new textures, music and so on...

I updated 2 page on my site: the BFG page with a list of all existing BFG and the DooM Genealogy, with a new version on my genealogy.

Have a good time !!!

Lorenzo

Red on black background with Comic sans font and a spinning pentagram, all in one site.

Not bad, not bad at all.

Doomwadstation, accept no substitutes!

Do not forget the layout done with tables, which is painfully obvious in this rare specimen.

Mediocre web design aside, the actual screenshots for the project look pretty decent. Are the levels fullbright like the screenshots suggest, or was the gamma just cranked up so you could see the maps better?

Snarboo said:

Are the levels fullbright like the screenshots suggest, or was the gamma just cranked up so you could see the maps better?

Has to be gamma, see how greyed out everything looks? Even at the brightest light level, the colors would be richer than that without gamma correction.

Hello !
The shots are with the idbeholdl (full light) because for some strange reason zdoom takes always screenshots very dark.

Well, did you like the episode?

Lorenzo

I'm still playing it :) I enjoyed the maps so far I liked that library map I'm wondering what kind of maps are after those I haven't seen them yet.

The WAD is incredible, my man. Great item/ enemy placement, architecture, gameplay, music, and those little touches that are everywhere, like those books on the tables in the library.

I haven't actually played the wad yet, but in the future could you please take screenshots without fullbright on? Turn up the gamma 1 or 2 above the default if it looks too dark to you, but fullbright shots don't do a great job of showing off how nice your map looks. Lighting contrast makes a huge difference between an ugly map and a beautiful one, and fullbright screenshots don't really do a nice-looking map justice, I don't think.

I just finished playing it. That was a pretty fun mapset. It was a bit tough for me, but I survived. :) That beginning movie was kinda funny.

Psycho Siggi said:

Those screenshots are awful D:
Too much gamma, too much light cheat.

You didn't read his last post did you?
He said SPECIFICALLY that he had to turn on the light cheat because of how dark the screenshots tend to come out.

Anyway, the maps all look great. The only thing I really didn't like was the glider/(plane?) thing in the last screenshot. The screenshot of level 6 is by far my favorite.

Why is there a discussion of screen shots? Since when is a project judged by static pictures on a web page?

Go get the wad and play it.

If after that you don't like it, then bitch.

Which you won't because The Prometheus Experiment is very very good.

It's also very very painfully zdoomish.

<3 having a camera tied to each switch I hit.

At least the maps are pretty good and play okay.

Hello !
Stphrz is right !
The shots should just give the idea of the level. Better play the level !
It is like to judge a movie from its poster...

Well, i found that increasing the gamma correction doesn't change anything: the shots are too dark the same... I find that this happens even with the shots that are in the /newstuff chronicles pages;

I'm happy you like the episode. If you have anything to complain please tell me !!!

Lorenzo

I just finished it. It was pretty good, but very difficult. Fighting a Cacodemon with nothing but a pistol and chainsaw on map01 was pretty hard for a second fight. Health also seemed to be rather scarce. I do have one question. Is map 2 supposed to be an infested base or something? I noticed that there were computer consoles all over the hell themed level that seemed rather out of place.
The dialouge does need a lot of work though. The occasional poor grammer kind of ruined the story line at some points (ex:"He was not as luck as me...")
Detail wise, it was amazing. I especially liked the use of slopes. The music was pretty good too. It might be good though if you could change some stuff around for the lower difficulties though so noobs like me can get through it.

Well, map 2 is supposed to be an alien outpost with some little technology here and there...

My beta-testers, the italian doom community, told me that it was too difficult so added some more health here and there... it is not impossible, just save often !

Lorenzo

Lorenzo said:
Well, i found that increasing the gamma correction doesn't change anything: the shots are too dark the same... I find that this happens even with the shots that are in the /newstuff chronicles pages;

ZDoom probably works like Doom in this respect; gamma isn't applied to the screen shots. If you feel they are too dark (most shots aren't, in my case, but my monitor isn't very dark), you should brighten them with an image manipulation program, such as The GIMP or Paint Shop, so the light levels aren't lost.

They will still look too bright on brighter monitors, though.

Well, i think the shots are not a problem as you can download the wad... ;-)

Lorenzo