Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
deathbringer

Student taken out of school for making an FPS map of it

Yep, same old same old. The cops also seized a "deadly weapon" (a hammer) and considered his behaviour a "terroristic threat".

A hammer???

Story:
http://www.fortbendnow.com/news/2847/chinese-community-rallies-behind-student-removed-from-clements-over-pc-game-map

Slashdot:
http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/05/02/1839251

Found by me here:
http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=277740

They took a hammer from his home? A stinking hammer? Was it a nuclear hammer? WTF? I think they overlooked a couple of steak knives, a shovel, a baseball bat and a few other things when going thru his stuff and looking for absurd weapons. Aren't those weapons as well. What kind of idiot took a hammer from the guy's home and called it a weapon?

Edit:typo

I remember hearing about the kid being kicked out of school for making a map based on his school. I never knew about a hammer being taken away from him though. Fucking ridiculous. What the fuck happened to the Bill of Rights and the U.S. Constitution? Did those things decide to take a back seat while this person's rights were being violated? What the fuck?

Can't this kid sue the police and the school district for violating his rights as an American citizen?

Lizardcommando said:

What the fuck happened to the Bill of Rights and the U.S. Constitution? Did those things decide to take a back seat while this person's rights were being violated? What the fuck?

The US PATRIOT act invalidated the constitution several years back. It's now pretty much meaningless.

I made a map of my high school in Build (for Duke Nukem 3D). I did it because I wanted to base a map on real world architecture, and it was the largest building I knew best. I'd also like to think I micro-revolutionized the gameplay, what with 400+ troopers, 4 battle lords, and little ammo-- Almost a survival shooter style of level style.

Oh, and I also wrote a book, in which had a chapter going into detail about the level, and I handed it in to my Vice Principal for my final project in Peer Tutoring.

Danarchy said:

The US PATRIOT act invalidated the constitution several years back. It's now pretty much meaningless.

Ugh... that's fucking disgusting. The Patriot Act is a fucking joke. And goddamn I hate the term "terroristic threat". There's something about that term that really irks me.

As far as making maps based on schools go, I've done it myself, but it was really disproportionate and ugly looking. Uh, yeah. It sucked ass.

Hasn't everybody made a school map? I made one for both my middle and high school back in the day.

Known cases of school shootings such as the recent one and Columbine, have shown that the perpetrators had violent or messed up lives. If this kid showed no signs of possible insane or violent behavior the measure was unwarranted and the kid should be let back in the original school if he wants to be there and fellow students support him, and maybe they could sanction the potentially hysterical persons who took the measure, if they can't defend their action enough to be pardoned.

I've always had thoughts of making a FPS map of my school, but I'd put in a game like Rainbow Six or something and have it nothing to do with students/terrorism, but rather quite the opposite. It would have to do with the Rainbow Six team taking OUT THE TERRORISTS... yeah I thought that would be cool, and I don't see it being wrong IN ANY WAY...

Good to see kids these days getting their just deserts.
Damn whippersnappers.

i made a map of my hischool. maybe Ridgeview DM won't be coming out after all...

A colleague of mine suggested making a DM map of our workplace in Doom. I was like "WHOA. People know about Doom here?". I never thought he was a terrorist though. Guess I should report him.

I wonder what game he made the map for. I didn't see it mentioned anywhere. I mean if it was he was just kiilin monsters in doom or or terrorists in one ofthese newer fps games then whats the problem. if the enemies were modded to look like students and teachers then it should raise flags. not every kid who plays an fps and makes a map of his school is planning a rampage.

and BTW, A FRAKKIN HAMMER!!!! was it a medieval war hammer? or like Kristian said, maybe it was Mjolnir? that could be the only explaination. IDIOTS!!!!

Why isn't 3D Realms being sued for making maps of Los Angeles in Duke Nukem 3D where you can kill people (the chicks)?! This is fucking bullshit man. He makes a map of a real world, has a hammer in his room and becomes a terrorist threat. So if I make a map of some real place, and keep a craft knife in my room, can I get arrested and labelled murderous maniac? Oh man, the evidence must be piling up against me if I had happened to cut my finger with it!

Oh and apparently someone had found the Map photos.

Antidote said:

I've always had thoughts of making a FPS map of my school, but I'd put in a game like Rainbow Six or something and have it nothing to do with students/terrorism, but rather quite the opposite. It would have to do with the Rainbow Six team taking OUT THE TERRORISTS... yeah I thought that would be cool, and I don't see it being wrong IN ANY WAY...

It doesn't matter. They would just say "OH LOOK you made shooting game level of the school. That means you plan to blow it up. OMG!!" And failing that would say you sympathize with the terrorists and everyone is supposed to lose to them.

caco_killer said:

It's things like this that make me want to move to Canada even more then I already do.

Canada is more knee-jerk than America is.

Naked Snake said:

I thought it was a much better place than America during the few times I've visited family there.

Naked Snake said:

Really, do they react faster than you just did to the first negative comment they hear about Canada?

Gokuma said:

It doesn't matter. They would just say "OH LOOK you made shooting game level of the school. That means you plan to blow it up. OMG!!" And failing that would say you sympathize with the terrorists and everyone is supposed to lose to them.

Haha.

But yeah, I can see them saying that...

david_a said:

Hasn't everybody made a school map? I made one for both my middle and high school back in the day.

I tried to make a map of my middle school once,,but failed to say the least, at the attempt.

myk said:

Really, do they react faster than you just did to the first negative comment they hear about Canada?

Well, I better get on it... What does knee-jerk even mean?