Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

My titlepic shows giberish.

So i open a photo in paint, save it in GIF format and create a new lump named titlepic, and then import the gif file into that lump. I then start up Doom2 and the main menu image only shows 4 boxes, 2 white and 2
grey! Did i do something rong?

The file needs to be in the BMP format with the same 256 color texture palette.

In XWE or SlumpEd or whatever lump editor you're using, there should be a function to convert the image to the Doom graphics format.

Maybe your image has bad offsets in the wad and then it's displayed out of the screen area..

esselfortium said:

In XWE or SlumpEd or whatever lump editor you're using, there should be a function to convert the image to the Doom graphics format.

how? I am using slumped.

EDIT: how can i convert file formats to BMB format? I can't use paint to
do that, and i don't have photoshop.

hardcore_gamer said:

EDIT: how can i convert file formats to BMB format? I can't use paint to do that, and i don't have photoshop.

A bitmap file (.bmp file extension).
It's the default graphics format for MS Paint, so yeah, you can use Paint to "Save As..." a bitmap.

hardcore_gamer said:

how? I am using slumped.

EDIT: how can i convert file formats to BMB format? I can't use paint to
do that, and i don't have photoshop.

Right-click on the lump. In the menu, pick "Convert to", then "Doom Gfx". Save, then try it again in Doom, and it should work. :)

esselfortium said:

Right-click on the lump. In the menu, pick "Convert to", then "Doom Gfx". Save, then try it again in Doom, and it should work. :)

If i do that than the image turns black and white and in game it looks scrambled.

Then it's a problem with the color palette.

Try exporting a graphic from the doom2.wad, opening that with mspaint, then pasting the photo or whatever into it. It will give you one of the closest palette conversions possible for you. If it still looks like utter shit, then you're going to have to mess with the hues or find a different image with a closer choice of colors to the Doom palette.

In general you want to watch out for purples, yellows, mixed hues (e.g. bluish green), or any light or pastel colors.

DOOM uses a palette with 256 specific colors (actually a few less than 256, but that's irrelevant). When a program imports it and converts it to a graphic, it tries to change the colors in the pic into colors in the palette, and lump importing ones don't generally do this too well.

You need to convert the pic with a program that does that well (by applying palettes), such as Paint Shop or The GIMP. The result won't be perfect either, and you will likely have to edit the picture manually to remove ugly dithering, stray pixels, or to change sections that got inappropriate colors.

PS: "wrong" starts with a W.

EarthQuake said:

A bitmap file (.bmp file extension).
It's the default graphics format for MS Paint, so yeah, you can use Paint to "Save As..." a bitmap.

eehhhhhhhhhh thanks allot! It worked with a PNG FORMAT!!!!!!!!!!!
bUT NOT WITH A BITMAP FORMAT!!!!!
THE HOURS AND THE PAIN OH!!!! THE HOURS AND THE PAIN!!!!!

Well I allways use gif files with no problem. Be sure to convert the pic to the DOOM palette, and remember that it must be 320x200 in size.