Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eric Vaughn

Doom Builder problems with Windows Vista

After installing Windows Vista, I'm noticing a few problems with Doom Builder. I'm assuming these bugs are due to the Vista operating system, since I have used Doom Builder on XP before and not noticed any problems.

Here are a few of them:

1) Closing Doom Builder at any time for any reason, regardless of a map being open or not, shows this error: "Run-time error '75': Path/File access error"

2) Preference are never saved. Every time I open Doom Builder, all configurations are reset to defaults.

3) When saving a map, the error "Error 5 while saving map: Invalid procedure call or argument" appears. The program then crashes. After opening the wad file again, the map in the wad that I was working on has been deleted entirely from the wad.

4) zDoom can't find the .wad file after Doom Builder has opened and modified it.

:/

Problems 1 and 2 are most likely to be directly related, as in DB cannot access builder.cfg. Try installing Doom Builder out of C:\Program Files (Probably Vista restrictions methinks)

Also, try updating Windows.

I've had the same problem. However, I've found that running Doom Builder in 98/ME compatibility mode makes it work properly again (as far as I can tell).

By the way, the only reason I chose 98/ME compatibility is because the computer I had before was running ME. Doom Builder may well run perfectly fine in XP compatability mode.

I suggest you use XP or 2000 compatibility mode if that solves Vista problems. Doom Builder has alternative code routines for Windows 98 and ME that are less efficient (this is needed because the efficient routines only work in XP and 2000).

Eric Vaughn said:

3) When saving a map, the error "Error 5 while saving map: Invalid procedure call or argument" appears. The program then crashes. After opening the wad file again, the map in the wad that I was working on has been deleted entirely from the wad.

Another way to fix this? the compatibility mode dont solve that problem.

Doomguy0505 said:

In my experience, Compatibility mode NEVER solves the problem

that's why i'm asking if there's any way to fix the error (if it have solution)

it's not like i would have wanted to intall vista, it's that my old pc burned it's processor and we had to buy a new one, and this is my problem. the new pc came with windows vista and i knew that vista didn't work. now i can't advance with some of my wad projects i think these are my final days of mapper

Just thinking out loud here, but I wonder if anyone has figured out to dual boot a system with vista yet to also run with say win 2K or Win XP. I suppose I should do a web search to find out.

Eric Vaughn said:

Can anyone tell me how to change compatibility mode?

Go to where you installed Doombuilder
Right click on the main program and click properties.
Properties window should show up, click on the compatibility tab.
From here at the top of the list is compatibility mode, Check the check box, annd select a form of windows such as Windows XP (either one of them) or windows 2000/ME.
Click apply when finished.

Hope this helps =)

Eric Vaughn said:
When saving a map, the error "Error 5 while saving map: Invalid procedure call or argument" appears. The program then crashes. After opening the wad file again, the map in the wad that I was working on has been deleted entirely from the wad.
[/B]

I'm still getting this message in whatever compatibilty mode I try. Hmmm. Could it just be that Doom Builder needs a few code tweaks to get it to run in Vista properly?

Thanks Mechadon. If you don't mind, I'm changing that a little bit and sticky it here.

EDIT: And now I notice it is missing important information: Where do you put the dll file? Program directory? Windows system directory?

The other thing to point out is that the last post in that thread states that this method hasn't been fully tested yet. I'm pretty sure I've done all the things listed (Doom Builder wouldn't even start without msvbvm50 .dll IIRC, and DB is installed in a folder outside of the Program Files directory, and I've tried XP compatibilty mode), but it's still crashing on saving. But only every once in a while. It doesn't seem to be consistant. I usually manage to save a file three or four times before it crashes, and I've noticed that it seems to crash after adding architecture. I can add objects and monsters to my hearts content and it's fine.

Could the compatibility problem be in the node builder, rather than Doom Builder itself?

CodeImp said:

EDIT: And now I notice it is missing important information: Where do you put the dll file? Program directory? Windows system directory?

well doom builder hasn't trow any error, i've put the dll on the same folder as doom builder and it still run.

i have the Doom builder on programs and files, and the only error that throw at closing is: doom builder stop working but saves my maps and don't delete it

@Code Imp: I threw it in the Windows System directory. I've been mapping for about 5 hours total on Vista so far...and I have yet to run into any major problems. The worst thing that has happened so far is that when I close DB, a window pops up saying that "Doom Builder has stopped working". And then I choose close, or something like that. Anyways, that's the extent of the problems I've had so far :)

@GMan: I haven't had problems with the Node Builder. But if you are, its always worth a shot to change its compatibility to Win XP SP2. That might fix your problem ;)

I am a fool sometimes, you know. I hadn't got that .dll like I thought I had. Having downloaded it, Doom Builder now appears to work fine. I'll let you know if anything comes up afer more extensive use:-)

WOAH WOAH BACK UP!
The installer for Doom builder can run on VISTA??? Vista has INTERNET NOW??? O..O;;;
no no, joke...
This was brought up with Blood Masters:
Vista has no support for alot of things. In order to run Doom Builder on Vista, Pascal would have to rewrite alot of code. Same with many other programs, it's why Vista may never become anything (much less a business standard), as the next one is sceduled and it's STILL not being used by most companies...
To get it working a little better: You might consider Compiling the source code (if Vista has a compiler that is... -..-), Figeting with compatibility settings, Themes/styles, etc., Installing everything for it and manually working out the bugs...
Or you could just fuck it install Linux or XP...

EDIT: Um... just noticed just now this reply is a little late... sorry