Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nick Perrin

[Marines of UAC: Exigency] Teaser

From Nick Perrin comes MoUAC: Exigency, the first in a series of episodes chronicling the epic Marines saga.

freewebs.com/mouac

Rather than give a post with old screenshots, detailing things you already know about, instead I opted for the (more labour-intensive) route of making a small teaser trailer. I emphasize "small" and "teaser," but still, it should be enjoyable. The song playing during the trailer is an original piece made for the MoUAC project. ALL FOOTAGE IS IN-GAME, even the titles. Except for the grainy film effect at the end, the WHOLE video is in-game.

As always, help is welcomed on the project. From mapping to music, from spriting to voice acting, let me know if you want to contribute.

P.S. Please check out the NEW Edge forums for details on other things happening with EDGE, which are much nicer than the old forums. It is now a proper phpBB forum rather than sourceforge defaults - http://edge.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/index.php

That's awesome man. I was really impressed by the part where the marine throws you his sidearm. I didn't know you could do stuff like that with Doom. From what I saw, you're really pushing the limits of Doom.
My only real complaint was the sprite for the unarmed marine. The sprite is awful, his arms are too big and too long for the rest of his body, plus the way he holds himself is a little out of place. It looks like he's about to kill somebody. Not exactly suitable for a marine just walking around base.

You mean EDGE has forums that work with browsers people actally use now? not ones designed for some command-line based Linux one which automatically turns JPEG's and GIF's into PNG's and requires you to enter addresses in Hex?

Shame i can't remember what i wanted to ask them

Oh yeah and the trailer looks awesome, will this have it's own "actual" levels too, apart from the bootcamp?

Looks cool... then I saw it's for EDGE. Hmph, now I have to download and configure EDGE, which is harder then it may seem (I don't care what you think, I make it take longer).

In any case, it looks promising, hopefully it gets completed.

Wow! Now that's really impressive!

I remember you kept pimping this project along time ago. All I gotta say is that you seriously delivered the awesomeness right there with that trailer!

Unfortunately, I won't be able to play it since EDGE no longer supports software rendering. All I can say is that keep up the great work and don't let this project die! I bet this will become the next project that will put EDGE back onto to the map like QDoom and Immoral Conduct: SE.

deathbringer said:

Oh yeah and the trailer looks awesome, will this have it's own "actual" levels too, apart from the bootcamp?

Yes indeed, in fact that's the main point of the project. This is only the first episode in a series. They will all be singleplayer experiences with full, story-driven scenarios. There are no more classic "levels" per se, just one non-stop adventure carried through scripted map changes and whatnot. In so, it is a continuous experience like any modern epic-style FPS.

I am planning 4-5 episodes total (including Exigency), one of which may be a short prequel.

Hay, this could be the mod that lends a usefulness to EDGE. btw, bad form ending the video with a shot of the player running around in MAP01, gag.

Loads of people claim EDGE is "too hard" to run, so i thought i'd upload a useful guide to clear up any confusion

EDGE CONFIGURATION GUIDE

1: Download latest binaries from the website

2: Unzip, make sure you unzip all of the stuff in the zipfile to the same place, make sure doom2.wad is in that same folder (i suggest your doom folder, and not, say, your GTA Vice City folder)

3: Run

Wow, looks really nice. As others have said, quite possibly a reason to download EDGE. I know I'll definitely be doing that. My favourite part has to be the bit when the other marine throws you a gun - very nicely done.

I really enjoyed watching this! The marine throwing the gun was simply awesome. I'm gonna dowload EDGE just for this I really want to play it now!

Thanks for the encouragement guys, it really helps to further work on the project and give me some extra inspiration when I need it.

Now, onto less cheesy things...
It seems that the majority of the comments are saying how they love the pistol toss & catch. Thanks, I thought that that effect would be neat, and it took some time to make it work right. Let me just say now, though, that the pistol toss is going to be dwarfed by many more, much cooler/more dramatic effects...

Most importantly, it's good to know that my efforts aren't in vain, and what might be considered trivial things are actually interesting to people. I'll be sure to keep that in mind!

Exams are coming up for me, but once that's through, I expect to get A LOT of work done on MoUAC. Right now, I have to restrain myself from working on it, because of all the work I have to do for school. I *really* hope to release this first episode by the end of the summer. The next episodes should come faster, as I don't have to re-make all the weapons and enemies etc. for each succeeding one.

The next preview of this mod should be a Story Trailer... that will come when more of the mod has been completed.

deathbringer said:

Loads of people claim EDGE is "too hard" to run, so i thought i'd upload a useful guide to clear up any confusion

EDGE CONFIGURATION GUIDE

1: Download latest binaries from the website

2: Unzip, make sure you unzip all of the stuff in the zipfile to the same place, make sure doom2.wad is in that same folder (i suggest your doom folder, and not, say, your GTA Vice City folder)

3: Run

You forgot step 4: edit button configuration only to find out that the edited button configuration doesn't work (Eg: EBDOOM.WAD where W is no longer forward, even if you change it to that).

Antidote said:

You forgot step 4: edit button configuration only to find out that the edited button configuration doesn't work (Eg: EBDOOM.WAD where W is no longer forward, even if you change it to that).

That doesnt make a lot of sense, you have to set up .cfg file for every port the first time you use them, after that you should be able to load any wad without problems, if however there is an issue it would proberly be a bug and you should report it.

Liberation said:

That doesnt make a lot of sense, you have to set up .cfg file for every port the first time you use them, after that you should be able to load any wad without problems, if however there is an issue it would proberly be a bug and you should report it.

I'll look into it.

Lizardcommando said:

So what kind of weapons will we be seeing in this mod?

Expect some Doom 2.5 style guns, with heavy modification and interesting secondary fires for a few of them. There are also a select few "different" weapons. The first episode, however, may not see that many weapons used without cheating.

The focus in this mod is not very much on the weapons, so it could be argued that they are relatively basic. HOWEVER, I have ensured that the weapons are extremely fun to use. I have done this and am still doing this through:

1) weapon animations
2) weapon (firing) effects
3) sound effects
4) Fast & efficient weapon switching and usability and
5) WEAPON SPECIFIC DEATHS. This is a big one. I have improved the blood effects and overall general death sequences, as well as adding many custom deaths for the specific weapons that require them. This makes, for example, shooting rockets at a group of zombies different than throwing a grenade at them... The former gibbing them into flying chunks, the latter knocking them around a bit...

EBDoom.wad has a load of worthless fucking bullshit configurations which "set themselves" to "help" you because the 'creators' of this wad are total morons- judging EDGE by EBDoom would be like judging Zdoom by DRE. Any other EDGE wad worth talking about (except maybe Covert Ops, but that doesnt work with current versions) is just a wad you can run, with your own controls

Antidote said:

I'll look into it.

I didnt realise EBDOOM was like that so my bad, i wouldnt go near anything like that anyhow.

deathbringer said:

...except maybe Covert Ops, but that doesnt work with current versions...

Works for me on RC5! What error is it giving you?

deathbringer said:

EBDoom.wad has a load of worthless fucking bullshit configurations which "set themselves" to "help" you because the 'creators' of this wad are total morons- judging EDGE by EBDoom would be like judging Zdoom by DRE. Any other EDGE wad worth talking about (except maybe Covert Ops, but that doesnt work with current versions) is just a wad you can run, with your own controls

PM me (or post here) some worth mentioning EDGE wads for me to try. A website with some (or one) would suffice.

Antidote said:

PM me (or post here) some worth mentioning EDGE wads for me to try. A website with some (or one) would suffice.

Off the top of my head these come to mind:
http://www.doomworld.com/covert/
http://www.newdoom.com/hosted/goldeneye
http://www.doomworld.com/immoralconduct
http://www.doomworld.com/fanatic/qdoom.htm

Also at the EDGE web site you can see some screenage of other EDGE projects (completed and WIP)

Works for me on RC5! What error is it giving you?

Ah, on 1.28 all the guns made dog noises, i guess backwards-compatabilty is better now, or they have uploaded a fix.

Looks like Lobo has mentioned all the good ones (i never said there was a lot of good EDGE wads, just some). But if i must blow my own trumpet...

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=12713 - Better than DRE in 3 weeks
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=14481 - An EDGE wad with no new weapons! the "storm demon"'s lighting doesnt sound very impressive in RC5, a fix is coming when i can be arsed

And this has charm:
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=12211
Just follow the advice in the review and edit the DDF to make the monsters vanish after they die, otherwise it slows down way too much