Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

What lump do i have to replace to rename my level?

So what do i have to do to make a name of my chose appear at the start of a level? I know how it works with Doomsday but not with basic wad editing.

Write a text in Paint, then load it into a WILVxy (doom.wad) or CWILVxy (doom2.wad, ...) lump.

For Doom 1, substitute x for episode number minus 1, and y for level number minus 1 (by default WILV25 reads "MT. EREBUS" in big white rounded letters). For Doom 2, substitute xy for a two-digit level number minus 1 (so by default CWILV06 reads "DEAD SIMPLE").

printz said:

Write a text in Paint, then load it into a WILVxy (doom.wad) or CWILVxy (doom2.wad, ...) lump.

For Doom 1, substitute x for episode number minus 1, and y for level number minus 1 (by default WILV25 reads "MT. EREBUS" in big white rounded letters). For Doom 2, substitute xy for a two-digit level number minus 1 (so by default CWILV06 reads "DEAD SIMPLE").

why cant i just type the numbers?

are you using Doomsday or are you just comparing to Doomsday?

ZDoom has a feature where you can replace that via a MAPINFO lump.

hardcore_gamer said:

why cant i just type the numbers?

It's an old story, but to make it short, every word you see written in "big rounded letters" is actually a pre-rendered bitmap, not a text string. This includes all menus and level ending/entering texts. The only exception are the times and percentages shown at the end of a level, which use bitmap numbers but are sort of changed "real time".

So, if you want to change any of these, explore the "graphics" lump of an IWAD, and see which one(s) you need to change. The advantage is that you can make them as complex as you wish, since they are bitmaps. You can of course generate them by copying/pasting "letters" with an image editor to form a specific word.

The only text that's relatively easily changeable, is the map level info text (the one that shows you the name and number of the level in map mode).

That IS a text string, and can be changed through a DEHACKED lump. Notice how it uses the smaller font used for messages etc., not the big one used for menus.

When I openned the DooM2.wad on a XWE there was a text wich have all the levels names. Maby when you make your own pictures of them you can use all fonts and funny graphics on your level tittles.

There is no such text in Doom2.wad, at least not in the form of a lump containing strings. Never been, never was.

On the original DOOM, the level names which are displayed on the automap are stored in the .exe file, and sometimes they can be different from what you see on the level completion screen.

E.g. "CIRCLE OF DEATH" becomes "'O' OF DESTRUCTION!" in the automap.

The only way to change automap level names, is via a DEHACKED patch. That's also why some early (before DEHACKED came out) TCs and replacement episodes like "The lost episodes" contained new level names for the level completion screens, but not for the automap: there was no DEHACKED yet to make that possible without manually editing the doom.exe or doom2.exe file.

Steeveeo said:

are you using Doomsday or are you just comparing to Doomsday?

ZDoom has a feature where you can replace that via a MAPINFO lump.

How? is there just a simple lump that i can replace or something?

Load this in your map using XWE name it CWILV00 and this name will appear on map01.

http://www.stefan-pettersson.nu/site/bmpfont/ I use this program to make new map names.It doesn't come with the doom font but it should be availible somewhere I got this from an thread someone posted here an while ago.

I got all of it from this thread:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38651&highlight=bitmap+font+writer

dutch devil said:

Load this in your map using XWE name it CWILV00 and this name will appear on map01.

http://www.stefan-pettersson.nu/site/bmpfont/ I use this program to make new map names.It doesn't come with the doom font but it should be availible somewhere I got this from an thread someone posted here an while ago.

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38651&highlight=bitmap+font+writer

uuuuuh...None of the names for anything appears for any source port.
The image you showed my works in the wad editor but not in game. This upsets my couse none of the Doom1 and Doom2 names are show in any level even if i don't use a costom wad and it is like that in both skulltag and zdoom! Did i do something rong?

Just open your map in XWE click load and load in your CWILV00 image, thats all you need to do nothing else.

Yes you did something wrong btw make sure its in .bmp format, if you can see it in doom builder then you have added it to the texture1 lump and you shouldn't have done that.

dutch devil said:

Just open your map in XWE click load and load in your CWILV00 image, thats all you need to do nothing else.

Yes you did something wrong btw make sure its in .bmp format, if you can see it in doom builder then you have added it to the texture1 lump and you shouldn't have done that.

You got it rong, i am not just talking about my own wad. I mean none of the names for anything (doom,doom2) show up in any the levels and that includes costom wads.

dutch devil said:

You mean you don't see any map names on the intermission screen?, or the little ones you see when viewing the automap.

No i mean when a map starts no name is shown at the top.....ever!
Not even for doom or doom2. Both in skulltag and zdoom. Even without using custom wads.

Oh you mean the name of the map you see at the top of the screen at the start and slowly fades away in doomsday sorry for not understanding, yeah not every sourceport does that and if you ask me its not all that important to get this working in other ports.

dutch devil said:

Oh you mean the name of the map you see at the top of the screen at the start and slowly fades away in doomsday sorry for not understanding, yeah not every sourceport does that and if you ask me its not all that important to get this working in other ports.

It only does that in doomsday? Oh! that explains it! But are you sure it is only doomsday?

dutch devil said:

how did you make the text fit into the blue background? If i save the text with the font program and upload it with slumped, then the it will have a white background with it! I don't have any fancy programs on my pc like photoshop.

By the way, does the photo have to be in bitmap format i think skulltag supports png images(my titlepic is a png image and it works just fine).

EDIT: your image has a blue background in game.

EDIT: If i fill the background with black in paint only the letters them self are shown in game, thank you for your help!

hardcore_gamer said:

It only does that in doomsday? Oh! that explains it! But are you sure it is only doomsday?

I think Risen3D does this as well.

how did you make the text fit into the blue background? If i save the text with the font program and upload it with slumped, then the it will have a white background with it! I don't have any fancy programs on my pc like photoshop.

By the way, does the photo have to be in bitmap format i think skulltag supports png images(my titlepic is a png image and it works just fine).

I use windows paint to give it an cyan background I'm quite sure you have that on your computer :p, if your titlepic shows up fine then I see no reason why the map names shouldn't work in png format only one way to find out is just try it to see if it works if not use bmp format.

EDIT: your image has a blue background in game.

Thats weird it displayed just fine when I used it with zdoom.

I have this program "DoomWord" on my computer. Don't know where it come from or where you can download it though... you can make both small messages (like pickup messages) and big ones (map names) in different colors. Cool. Makes all this stuff alot easier. You don't need to use paint at all. Try Google it!

OobyDoo said:

I have this program "DoomWord" on my computer. Don't know where it come from or where you can download it though... you can make both small messages (like pickup messages) and big ones (map names) in different colors. Cool. Makes all this stuff alot easier. You don't need to use paint at all. Try Google it!

bah! I could not find it so i will just stick to that other program since i have goten things to work now. Unless somebody can give my a link to this doomword program.

can anyone upload doomword someplace else so i can snag a copy? the link at the plas site doesn't work anymore.
thanks.

thanks. btw, i did search on google for a good hour for it. the only thing i found was the original site with the broken link. and i haven't used any other search engines in so long that i pretty much forgot they existed. ;P