Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Shadow Dweller

Heretic lagging problems

Ok, i recently found Heretic. started playing it and i instantly notice that whenever there is activity on screen (sounds,monsters,items;etc) the game starts lagging. also, the background music doesn't work either. is there a fix to this?

...wow...

Ok, basically, you posted this in the wrong forum (Classic Doom covers all the Doom engine games) and it goes into the Catergory of "OMG DEWM WONT RUN ON WIDOZE XP" The solution : get yourself a source port.

You can get a list of source ports in the Forum's FAQ

Coopersville said:
I thought Heretic used the Doom engine?

Yes, BBG's post is from before I moved the thread.

Apart from some slight engine adjustments, Doomsday is the closest stable port for Heretic (JHeretic). I like it much more than JDoom.

JDoom is crap.

Dude, at this time, I'd recommend ZDoom because it's the most stable and feature-rich port out there. Eventually, Eternity Engine will fully support Heretic, so if you're looking for an old-skewl flavor, when EE gets Heretic support, I'd whole-heartedly recommend that.

OK, port bashing/fanboyism ends here, please. Recommendations with reasons are fine.

There is also Dosbox, if you do want to run original Heretic exe outside a DOS environment. Increase the setting for the number of cycles (or use the auto setting) to improve performance.

ok, i'll try it.

thanks again, guys

so far i have only changed the configuration settings. it runs a little faster as long as the in-game sound is turned all the way down.