Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
sleepy_boy

Why Religion Can Suck

Here we go again...

I'm damn opposed to the closed-mided people who insist upon circumsision. People should make the choice themselves.

The whole "what would Jesus do" phrase doesn't work. Have you ever seen those jesus freaks get their asses kicked? The theory of peace doesn't work.

Religion is so closed-minded. What if your religion turns out to be the wrong one in the end? You're screwed! Best to stick to atheisem. (did i spell that right?)

Mark 5, verse 3 describes me.

I'm into the paranormal. Read the book of Ezekiel and tell me if it sounds like an alien encounter!

Prophets are stoners. Visions, hah! more like halucinations!

ever seen that picture of Jesus and two guys walking through a forest to a city. and if you look at Jesus, the whole picture brightens up?...

...like religion, it's an illusion.

thank you for your time...

I'm damn opposed to the closed-mided people who insist upon circumsision. People should make the choice themselves.

Maybe you should refer to it as foresight instead? I'm happy as hell I got it done back when I wouldn't be able to remember it.

Anyways, news flash of the day: people get circumcized regardless of race or religion. It's a health/cosmetic concern, not some kind of offering to God.

The whole "what would Jesus do" phrase doesn't work. Have you ever seen those jesus freaks get their asses kicked? The theory of peace doesn't work.

What about the skinny goth raver punks hoping for the death of all humanity who get the shit kicked out of them as well?

Religion is so closed-minded. What if your religion turns out to be the wrong one in the end? You're screwed! Best to stick to atheisem.

If it turns out to be "the wrong one", you goofed. It's not any religion's fault for how people misuse it.

(did i spell that right?)

No.

Don't know it.

I'm into the paranormal. Read the book of Ezekiel and tell me if it sounds like an alien encounter!

Perhaps these alien encounter stories of yours were based off this book? I'm certain of which story came first.

Prophets are stoners. Visions, hah! more like halucinations!

You're right, visions ARE hallucinations.

ever seen that picture of Jesus and two guys walking through a forest to a city. and if you look at Jesus, the whole picture brightens up?...

No...?

No problem.

The whole "what would Jesus do" phrase doesn't work.

Like I always say...WWYD

What about the skinny goth raver punks hoping for the death of all humanity who get the shit kicked out of them as well?

Its not being peaceful that gets you beat up. I've always been kind of a hippy, and I've never been beat up. THe only people that get the crap kicked out of them are the ones who are looking for fights.
Embrace peace, stay alive.
Practice war, kill yourself.

Its not being peaceful that gets you beat up ... The only people that get the crap kicked out of them are the ones who are looking for fights.

Well, the people looking for fights have a habit of picking on the peaceful types.

I've already mentioned this in another thread, but I'll repeat it again.

We all have some sort of belief (Religion = belief), whether we believe in Gods, spirits, profets or science.

You may refuse to believe this, but both science and atheism are religions - at least that's what I've been told.

Atheists don't believe in Gods or anything like that, but they typically believe in science, which is actually a religion (IMJack can explain this much better than I), due to the fact that none of the so-called scientific "evidence" is one-hundred percent certain. This "evidence" only supports a theory until a new, "better" theory, backed up by more "evidence", is found.

I once believed in God, but I've always "trusted" science a bit more than the myths. I've later stopped believing in God, but I started believing that there is a Fate controlling events in the world. I've always believed that the whole universe is controlled by something undefined (like time), but I've never been sure what it was - my belief in Fate as the "controlling factor" is merely yet another theory until I find a better one.

(Religion = belief)

No, belief = belief. Religion is based around specific sets of beliefs, but that doesn't make it synonymous with belief.

No, belief = belief. Religion is based around specific sets of beliefs, but that doesn't make it synonymous with belief.

Whatever...

Yes, the whole "what would Jesus do?" attitude of some people annoys me.

Example: You're stuck on a desert island, with two loaves of bread and a cup of water. What would jesus do?

Well, he'd either make the bread and water last until however long he's rescued, or just walk over the sea until he finds land.

I'd like to see anyone else try doing either of these things.

But seriously, you should be guided by your own sense of morals and ethics, not be governed by some book for which all we know was simply made up by a bunch of people wanting to cash in on the "Jesus phenomen" all those centuries ago...

I do believe in god BTW, just not in the way the Catholic and Protestant churches, and others, would like me to.

I'd like to see anyone else try doing either of these things.

But seriously, you should be guided by your own sense of morals and ethics.

That's the thing: Jesus' stories show examples of these morals and ethics in practice. When the WWJD thing comes up, it means morally and ethically, by the standards set though his examples, not what he would supernaturally do. Things any person could grasp. Probably the same general productive morals you'd expect any person to have if they're to be a good/helpful person.

What Would Jesus Do?

As you politely to stop calling and stand on your own two feet for a change. :)

I do believe in god BTW, just not in the way the Catholic and Protestant churches, and others, would like me to.

I'm the same way. While most of my beliefs come from Catholic tradition (most, not all) and I am a practicing Catholic, I still speculate on some facets of the universe. Most modern religion isn't the mind control some folks make it out to be. I'm a product (victim) of Catholic education, and my teachers didn't have any problems with what anyone's beliefs were.

Religion is so closed-minded. What if your religion turns out to be the wrong one in the end? You're screwed! Best to stick to atheisem. (did i spell that right?)

Anyone who believes that there is one "true" faith that will get you into paradise has a trip through the hot-oven coming to them. These close-minded nincompoops make me sick.

"The man had been dwelling among the tombs, and no-one could restrain him any longer, even with a chain." Cool!

Check verse 9 of that same chapter. They did an episode of Red Dwarf with that quote. "I am Legion. For we are many."

Its not being peaceful that gets you beat up. I've always been kind of a hippy, and I've never been beat up. THe only people that get the crap kicked out of them are the ones who are looking for fights.

No, they're the ones who did the kicking. One problem with private school, the real assholes get sent there because their parants hope to "clean them up." Doesn't work terribly well.

I agree. My theory was that a "religion" was a set of defined beliefs, coupled with some form of promoting or "worshipping" said beliefs. A belief, in and of itself, doesn't necessarily constitute a religion.

Well, the people looking for fights have a habit of picking on the peaceful types.

Actualy, they tend to pick on the other fighting types...then the loser of the fight is the one that gets beat up.

Anyone who believes that there is one "true" faith that will get you into paradise has a trip through the hot-oven coming to them.

What about us atheists that don't want to get caught up in these 'holy wars'? What is our fate according to your belief?

Revelation 1, verse 8 describes me.

Anyone who believes that there is one "true" faith that will get you into paradise has a trip through the hot-oven coming to them.

What about us atheists that don't want to get caught up in these 'holy wars'? What is our fate according to your belief?

It's my belief that "bad" people somehow get punished after their death (or in their life) and that "good" people are somehow revarded. But it's always difficult to define what excactly a "bad" or "good" person is. IMO a "bad" person is selfish and doesn't give a rat's arse about other people's feelings and lives. So according to my personal belief, something good will happen to you Danny as long as you care about other people (or at least try - accidentally harming other people isn't necessarily something you deserve to get punished for).
Your intention is to avoid war - seems like a good intention to me.

Actualy, they tend to pick on the other fighting types...then the loser of the fight is the one that gets beat up.

So very wrong.

I believe a person's faith (or lack thereof) has absolutely nothing to do with their final fate. The question is: Are you living up to your own standards?

It's my belief that "bad" people somehow get punished after their death (or in their life) and that "good" people are somehow revarded. But it's always difficult to define what excactly a "bad" or "good" person is. IMO a "bad" person is selfish and doesn't give a rat's arse about other people's feelings and lives. So according to my personal belief, something good will happen to you Danny as long as you care about other people (or at least try - accidentally harming other people isn't necessarily something you deserve to get punished for).
Your intention is to avoid war - seems like a good intention to me.

Yay...Yaweh won't banish me to Hell. Or something...

I believe a person's faith (or lack thereof) has absolutely nothing to do with their final fate. The question is: Are you living up to your own standards?

Yes. I havn't done any major religion-bashing for a while. That was back when I was more full of rage...I apologize. But if anyone tries to convert me, they better just watch your back!

But personal standards have much to do with it as well.

What if my "personal standards" are to kill as many people is possible? That might happen if I'm a maniac. Will I get to heaven if I live up to my standards?

What if my "personal standards" are to kill as many people is possible? That might happen if I'm a maniac. Will I get to heaven if I live up to my standards?

This is exactly what I meant :)

Do you know better? Do you have no regrets? I'm sure St. Peter would consider that after you're executed.

Do you know better? Do you have no regrets? I'm sure St. Peter would consider that after you're executed.

Again, let's say i'm a fucking psycho. I don't know better. I have no regrets. I actually enjoy killing people. I believe that killing people is good. I killed lots of them, thereby living up to my standards. Will I get to heaven?

Again, let's say i'm a fucking psycho. I don't know better. I have no regrets. I actually enjoy killing people. I believe that killing people is good. I killed lots of them, thereby living up to my standards. Will I get to heaven?

You wouldn't be able to appreciate heaven. You might get a commission as a low-tier demon in hell, tho. They'd turn you loose on people who deserve it. If killing is what you do best, killing is what you might be doing for the rest of eternity.

I believe in a "personalized afterlife". Because frankly, sitting on clouds and playing harps just doesn't appeal to me. ;)

(Don't hold me to any of this, BTW. I'm no theologian. Check my sig.)

Here we go again...

Yep a closed-minded thread by a no-minded person.

Exactly.

Yes it does. It depends on how you use/misuse it.

Have you ever seen those jesus freaks get their asses kicked?

Actually, some of those Jesus freaks could dish out some whup-arse of their own.

The theory of peace doesn't work.

That would probably be true. Of course, I wouldn't know, seeing as I'm not a hippie.

Religion is so closed-minded.

You sir, are the one who's close-minded. This thread proves that.

What if your religion turns out to be the wrong one in the end?

To each his own, I say.

You're screwed!

With -73 posts and a title of LOSER, you can bet you are.

Best to stick to atheisem.

Sigh...

(did i spell that right?)

No, you didn't.

It so happens I have read that book, and true, it does sound like an alien encounter. Or was Ezekiel describing something else....?

Prophets are stoners.

Reminds me of you. You're not a prophet, but you sure do act stoned.

Visions, hah! more like halucinations!

/me sighs again

halucinations

/me mumbles something about a "dumbass" under his breath

Once more, it depends on how you look at it.

If it's an illusion, then why it is seen and heard throughout the world, smart guy?

Go crawl back into your hole and have some more shrooms.

Yes it does. It depends on how you use/misuse it.

I still say: What Would You Do? Think for yourself. If you don't you're being mind-controlled.

Have you ever seen those jesus freaks get their asses kicked?

Actually, some of those Jesus freaks could dish out some whup-arse of their own.

What the Hell are you talking about? Both of you! Make sense!

The theory of peace doesn't work.

That would probably be true. Of course, I wouldn't know, seeing as I'm not a hippie.

Too bad, peace is fun, and being a hippie is pretty neat too.

Best to stick to atheisem.

Sigh...

I don't get it, why is sleepy's statement wrong (besides the horrid spelling)? Argue, damn you!

If it's an illusion, then why it is seen and heard throughout the world, smart guy?

Bad analogy. Mirages are also illusions, and they are seen the world over. Not to mention any hallucinations one might have. Damn, just look through any optical illusion book. 90% of all people on Earth will be able to see most of these.

Bad analogy. Mirages are also illusions, and they are seen the world over. Not to mention any hallucinations one might have. Damn, just look through any optical illusion book. 90% of all people on Earth will be able to see most of these.

Good analogy, dan. Mirages are images that you can see and quite possibly hear. Religion is different. It's a mirage as you can see it and hear it, but where it stops is when you feel it(if you're a religious person), and practice it, if that's your bag.

It's a mirage as you can see it and hear it, but where it stops is when you feel it(if you're a religious person), and practice it, if that's your bag.

What?

Apparently my philosophical side has gotten carried away with me again. /me grabs Lament in a headlock and forces a gallon of Mac's "Special Brew" COFFEE down his throat
Don't act like you don't know what I'm saying, you fool!

In regards to religion...Who cares...If they aren't shoving it in your face, just shrug your shoulders...if they are, dislocate THEIR shoulders...that's all there is to it :P