Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

using a sky texture on a wall.

In Doom and Doom2, you would often see a large background or a sky texture in the background (the red sky in the hell levels, for example).
But the thing is if i use anything else then the plain F_SKY texture, the texture just looks like a solid image in game. Is there some trick needed here or something, i have opened some of the doom2 levels in doombuilder without finding anything useful.

You do not apply the sky textures to the wall, do what I tell you and you might understand how to apply the effect you want to walls and other stuff.

Make a sector inside of a room, in which its ceiling flat is F_SKY1, than lower the ceiling of the new sector to the floor, so that the floor height and ceiling height of the sector are the same. So far it should look like a textureless pillar in the middle of the room (With exclamation marks on its walls if your using Doom Builder's 3d mode.) If you play the level and look at the pillar, you will see that it seems like your looking at the sky in the middle of the room.

Im sorry if you do not understand my directions, i'm not always good at explaining myself.

F_SKY is what designates it as the sky texture. You'll want to alter it with XWE or Wintex or something along those lines. You can find tutorials on changing sky textures through a search.

lupinx-Kassman said:

You do not apply the sky textures to the wall, do what I tell you and you might understand how to apply the effect you want to walls and other stuff.

Make a sector inside of a room, in which its ceiling flat is F_SKY1, than lower the ceiling of the new sector to the floor, so that the floor height and ceiling height of the sector are the same. So far it should look like a textureless pillar in the middle of the room (With exclamation marks on its walls if your using Doom Builder's 3d mode.) If you play the level and look at the pillar, you will see that it seems like your looking at the sky in the middle of the room.

Im sorry if you do not understand my directions, i'm not always good at explaining myself.

ok got that but is there any way to change THE SKY ITSELF (i mean choose
a another sky texture)?

no, it's locked for each episode, in modern ports that support the mapinfo lump you can change it (and animate it too)

That depends on the source port you are using. Some allow specifying the sky per level, others don't. And each one is doing it differently...

Graf Zahl said:

That depends on the source port you are using. Some allow specifying the sky per level, others don't. And each one is doing it differently...

I wander if skulltag can do that, i think skulltag can even make the sky
scroll!

hardcore_gamer said:

I wander if skulltag can do that, i think skulltag can even make the sky
scroll!

Sure. Skulltag can. Since it is based on ZDoom it can use all of its features.