Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Vader

Shambler inspired drawing

I've recently had the chance to scan a few pictures I've made over the last year and I wanted to show off this one:

I have a few minor issues with it, but I think it turned out pretty good nonetheless. The picture is drawn with those standard crayons propably everyone has at home.

Comments/critics appreciated!

Wow, there's quite a lot of interest for this particular Quake monster. Great for a Quake classic-looking illustrated novel. Maybe a Quake 5 could come out. :)

Looks great. I like how you made the ends of most of the Shambler's limbs clean, rather than their usual complete bloodiness. The shading of the musculature stands out as really well done too. Hard to believe this is done in crayons, as that's not a medium that I generally equate this kind of quality with.

Nice job with the tools provided. I've made similar drawings with colored pencils but never ventured into wax crayon territory, mainly because I wasn't into sharpening crayons.

Note, though, that the original Shamblers have hooves looking like Barons', not elephant feet. I'd edit the mouth, it looks a bit annoying the way it does now.

nice how it seems to be coming at you. Makes it look like it's a first person perspective (like in the game itself).

Thanks for the replys everyone :D

MmM said:

Hard to believe this is done in crayons, as that's not a medium that I generally equate this kind of quality with.

I also never would have thought that it works this well, but it does after you get used to it.
The only problem is that those crayons don't really cover well,
so you have to redraw some parts to get the color as strong as desired!
Worst is red in this case, I've yet to find a good red pencil.

Printz said:

Note, though, that the original Shamblers have hooves looking like Barons', not elephant feet. I'd edit the mouth, it looks a bit annoying the way it does now.

I know about the hooves plus the original shambler also has only 3 fingers, but I didn't want to draw a 1:1 conversion of the monster, but more or less my own interpretation... that's why I wrote shambler inspired monster in the title ;)

Could you perhaps be more specific, what is annoying about the mouth?

Are we talking about 2 different types of crayons here? Most people are under the impression it was done with Crayola Wax Crayons, and it doesn't look like it was done in that medium. Nice work if it was, but it looks more like coloured pencil or conte crayon.

Well, colored pencils then I guess, nothing to do with wax... as I said it was made with that kind of thingy every kid draws with.
My dictionary translates that as crayons :P

Of course there're differences in quality among those colored pencils too, but it was nothing special I used!

That clarifies it. I'll take it this is a case of Language confusion. In American English, a Crayon is most commonly associated with Crayola type wax crayons that children use. Coloured Pencils are the term US English speakers are familiar with. In any case, it looks like a nice sketch. I just started back with Coloured Pencils again and had forgotten how much I like the outcome of them as a medium.

That is cool, could you expand the background to a 4:3 ratio? It would make a great wallpaper.

Vader said:

Could you perhaps be more specific, what is annoying about the mouth?

It looks too skinny and shiny, kinda reminescent to a prepuce. It gives the impression it can be moved forth and back... I'd make it bulkier. No offence, okay?

Ah, so it was colored pencil, not wax crayon, that makes more sense. I've messed around with wax crayons many times in the past, but could never get very good results with them--the colors don't blend all that well with each other among other things. Conte crayons are pretty good though.

@Vader did you ever made any doom drawings before I would really love to see that, I think I've never seen any doom-ish stuff from you before :)

I think I've seen an Revenant drawing before but I'm not sure if you were the one who made it, anyway keep up the good work you have many skills.

Heh, when the image was first loading, it was all pixelated and I thought it was a screenshot of Quake or something. It's pretty good.

I wish I could draw stuff like that with crayons. -.-

First impressions: Nice Job! This kid has a lot of talent! (most likely compared to me you are a kid, i.e. anyone under 30 years old) Nothing personal.

I hope you continue to cultivate that talent throughout your life, no telling where it might take you. Keep it up. I'm sure we would love to see more.

He's a lefty : )

I do a fair amount of pencil art myself, but I never get around to coloring anything. It's one of my slightly...undesirable traits. I haven't drawn anything in color for years.

The Shambler from quake is the most lovable quake monster and I think the reason for that is because he's like a big teddy bear. LOL

Awesome sketch. the background is perfect, I always imagined those things living in caverns. my only nit pic is that only one hand is bloody. I can only imagine they would use both hands to rip people apart. I don't know about hooves, it wasn't very clear in the game. I always imagined it having elephant like feet. I think hooves are an illusion created my the boxy low polygon models.

now make a feind :)

That looks very cool. Nice use of colored pencils!

Coopersville said:

The owlbear?

Hmmm if it had a beak and feathers maybe you could say that. :p