Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Started on a project for the ultimate doom

I have started on a project for the Ultimate doom that i call:
Part1: Beginning of a new nightmare! I am not making it for any port. This is pure Doom format and has vanilla doom level of detail. I am planing on making a 8 level episode.

Screenshots: (click on them to see a larger image).

Just two shots and feeling a bit Doom-1 already!
Kudos for mapping for Ultimate!

Looks interesting. I like more classic feeling WADs. The only thing to worry about with Ultimate Doom is it's a bit harder to keep encounters interesting with significantly less monster variety.

RoneKyakone said:

Looks interesting. I like more classic feeling WADs. The only thing to worry about with Ultimate Doom is it's a bit harder to keep encounters interesting with significantly less monster variety.

You just have to put the right monsters on the right spots, and you have
an interesting encounter right there :)

ellmo said:

Just two shots and feeling a bit Doom-1 already!
Kudos for mapping for Ultimate!

This is what wikipedia said kudos means:

Kudos (IPA pronunciation: ['kju:dɒs]['ku:dɒs]), from the Greek κύδος kydos (literally "that which is heard of") means fame and renown resulting from an act or achievement; by extension is often used as a praising remark. It entered English as British university slang in the early 1800s. Frequently used by Time magazine,[1][2] it came to Africa in the 1920s and 1930s.[citation needed]

See also Props.

Why do you keep using that word?

Kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos

dutch devil said:

Kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos kudos

yea hahahahaha insanely funny.

Props to all logged in hardcore_gamers!

This looks like a good start. From what I can see in the screenshots, I have a couple of suggestions.

1) In shot 1, you might want to increase the brightness level of the sky-ceiling sector. In addition to just being somewhat more realistic, it'll make for some nice contrast with the dark room around it.

2) In shot 2, the ceiling lights don't match the classic style that the rest of your map seems to fit pretty well, from the small bit of it that I've seen. Classic maps rarely had small lights sticking out of the ceiling like you have; try integrating them into the architecture more. Take a look at the first ceiling lights you see in e1m2, as an example of what I mean.

It's hard to judge your map too much from those two screenshots, but it looks like you're making good progress so far. :)

hardcore_gamer said:

Why do you keep using that word?

hardcore_gamer said:

(...)as a praising remark.

Guess that's why.

deathbringer said:

Make sure you test it in v1.9 Ultimate Doom under DOSBOX, or Deathz0r won't be happy!

Sorry! No dosboxe's allowed in my sight!:)

deathbringer said:

Make sure you test it in v1.9 Ultimate Doom under DOSBOX, or Deathz0r won't be happy!

Are you retarded

I thought you didnt like it when people made wads "for the ultimate doom" but only ever tested them in Zdoom

deathbringer said:

I thought you didnt like it when people made wads "for the ultimate doom" but only ever tested them in Zdoom

i use prdoom+ to test it. Not Zdoom.

deathbringer said:

You seem to be missing the point.

I just finished level number4. And i want some feedback, but i don't want to release what i have made to the public yet. Can anyone test this
for me and give me some feedback?

hardcore_gamer said:

i use prdoom+ to test it. Not Zdoom.

Use "Doom95 -emulate". It's as close to Doom as easily possible.

hardcore_gamer said:

I just finished level number4. And i want some feedback, but i don't want to release what i have made to the public yet.

Why not release parts of it to the public you get more feedback on it and more different opnions about your maps, some people might come up with stuff that others don't mention and to have only one person giving you feedback is good of course but more form different people is even better.

So maybe you could release one map publicly and wait what people have to say about it and use all of the info you get on improving your other maps.

TheDarkArchon said:

What about Chocolate Doom?

Yeah yer right. Forgot about that I. Chocleet Doom then.

dutch devil said:

Why not release parts of it to the public you get more feedback on it and more different opnions about your maps, some people might come up with stuff that others don't mention and to have only one person giving you feedback is good of course but more form different people is even better.

So maybe you could release one map publicly and wait what people have to say about it and use all of the info you get on improving your other maps.

i have taken your advice. This is the first map and is a short E1M1 like level.

http://files.filefront.com//;7829763;;/

Bless you good sir, I mean, awesome.

Ok, a few things, there's tutti frutti in a few places, on the door behind you at the starting room, the computer panels in the second room, and another computer panel in the 3 imp room. If you want a look at it use Chocolate Doom or the original .exe. As far as bugs go I think thats it. The map is simple anyway, so I wouldn't expect heavy bugs.

As far as gameplay goes I have a few complaints. For starters its an extraordinarily short level, even e1m1 is longer. Please make it longer. Getting 100% kills is a bit arse as well, its not that easy to hit the monsters in the slime pit area you don't visit. Speaking of that, the map needs to make acquaintance with difficulty, the bridge over the slime pits, and the room after, are twice as hard as the rest of the map. Thats not to say the map itself was hard at all, but the bridge area was a bit annoying.

Anyways, I like what I see so far, I just wish there were more of it more than anything else.

EDIT: Oh and one more thing, work on your texture alignments. There are plenty of places throughout the level where I was struck by a poorly aligned texture.

There are quite a few sectors which you can delete/join without any problems, texture misalignments and some rooms just look plain weird especially around the windows.

I would increase brightness in the outside areas, no exit sign at the exit switch and no way to retrieve the ammo from the troopers on the other side maybe make an hallway leading to that area or an secret teleporter to that area and tag it as an secret cause I think putting at least one secret in your map will make it more interesting and people might play through it an couple more times to find the secrets.

The size of the map could be larger its very small just an couple of minutes of playing time, gameplay was easy I think that could be improved alot more no real tough traps, no other things in the map apart from 3 barrels/monsters/3 dead bodies some more decoration here and there couldn't hurt it looked empty.

dutch devil said:

The size of the map could be larger its very small just an couple of minutes of playing time

So was E1M1 in Doom.

[i] gameplay was easy I think that could be improved alot more no real tough traps, no other things in the map apart from 3 barrels/monsters/3 dead bodies [/B]

Duh! There is not allot of room for many monsters in a map so small, and i don't remember any traps in E1M1. I don't like crusher traps anyway.