Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Can you view this video?

I am trying to help this one guy that wants to learn how to map, so decided to make some video tutorials for him! :)

I made this one video and i think it is working but just make sure i want to post it here so that you can tell my if it really works.

For some reason the link won't appear as a link so just copy the URL:

file:///E:/ni%F0urhal/tutorials/how%20to%20create%20a%20new%20map/how%20to%20create%20a%20new%20map.html

hardcore_gamer said:

Hey sorry! just thought it was a link ok (don't ask my why)

I will upload it on youtube.

Thanks for the update.

Cor' blimey, Jolly good guvnar!!!

That was the most pathetic excuse for a "video tutorial" I've ever seen. Low resolution, no audio comment (except for That One Thing...) and all you could see was a nervous, epileptic-like jerking of the mouse cursor over the map's name textbox.

BTW, wtf it took you 40 seconds to write a map name and jerk with the mouse over it?

Plus, the "next step" in building a map is setting the paths??? And wtf is that BELCHING heard at 1:13??? Also more mouse jerking at that point...geez...

If you want to make serious application video tutorials, there are programs like the older Lotus Screen Cam which build stand-alone .exe files with great compression and full desktop resolution, so that texts are actually readable.

I will make more tutorials in anything i know in the future!

Jesus Christ...

Maes said:

Cor' blimey, Jolly good guvnar!!!

That was the most pathetic excuse for a "video tutorial" I've ever seen. Low resolution, no audio comment (except for That One Thing...) and all you could see was a nervous, epileptic-like jerking of the mouse cursor over the map's name textbox.

BTW, wtf it took you 40 seconds to write a map name and jerk with the mouse over it?

Plus, the "next step" in building a map is setting the paths??? And wtf is that BELCHING heard at 1:13??? Also more mouse jerking at that point...geez...

If you want to make serious application video tutorials, there are programs like the older Lotus Screen Cam which build stand-alone .exe files with great compression and full desktop resolution, so that texts are actually readable.

Jesus Christ...

Hey what is your problem! Yes the low res window sucks but tell my something...other than youtube is there a internet service that allows
you to upload hi-res videos in a big window and at same time does not
charge for it....I looked for one....and i didn find one. So instead of turning into a crybaby and talk about how sloppy, lousy or bad this
video is why not just say thank you for AT LEAST TRYING to be usefull, something you are clearly not.

hardcore_gamer said:

Hey what is your problem! Yes the low res window sucks but tell my something...other than youtube is there a internet service that allows
charge for it....

The whole idea of making a video tutorial of high-res application using compression methods and resolutions intended for real-life video is plain f*cking wrong since the beginning. As I said, there are specialized applications which only store e.g. mouse and window movement and recreate a crystal-clear playback in the form of a stand-alone .exe or .swf file, the typical lossy compression video used at youtube or similar services is just NOT CUT FOR THE JOB.

hardcore_gamer said:

...talk about how sloppy, lousy or bad this
video is why not just say thank you for AT LEAST TRYING to be usefull, something you are clearly not.

The video pretty much comments itself, and if it has some sort of esoteric usefulness, I obviously am not sensible enough to see it.

It DOESN'T teach you how to make a map with Doombuilder, it just shows how you need 40 seconds to type a map name, and how you move your mouse in jerky, epileptic motions, while belching. There are already plenty of videos of people taking a dump on youtube...and this is in the same league.

Edit: this looks good....and I mean the mac53 and matbratt11 kind of good...knowhatumsayin'?

No, in fact I'm not blaming you, since I got a couple of nice, big, fat laughs out of it.

What you did now was just showing that you learned how to use your screen capturing software, something which should have never left your HD...ideally, as it's nowhere near "polished" and, unfortunately, nowhere near "useful".

You say I'm not constructive...here goes: if you're serious about making video tutorials in the future, you should at least master some basic video editing techniques such as cutting, clipping and zooming into clips to show important detail, and using audio and subtitles to stress important points. Then you will have something worth watching that will be actually teaching something.

I'd love to bash this failed attempt even more, but it gave me a huge, huge headache so I'll just say:

Fail.

Maes said:

You say I'm not constructive...here goes: if you're serious about making video tutorials in the future, you should at least master some basic video editing techniques such as cutting, clipping and zooming into clips to show important detail, and using audio and subtitles to stress important points. Then you will have something worth watching that will be actually teaching something.

No. I think plain text tutorials would be just fine. Why go complicated with a video, when you know that it's going to fill up the screen and take obligatory time to watch? A text can even be printed.

hardcore_gamer said:

charge for it....I looked for one....and i didn find one. So instead of turning into a crybaby and talk about how sloppy, lousy or bad this

Put the resolution of your monitor down (eg. to 640x480). It's impossible to see anything. Whining about there not being any hi-res videos sites is irrelevant and misses the point.

There is already a fairly useful DoomBuilder video tutorial out there. I forget who was making it, but I remember there being several "episodes", all with audio commentary explaining everything that was going on. The only downside was that they were pretty low-res.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? I can't find the thread.

Oh wow. Now I know how to make a new map! It's a borderline impossible task without a video tutorial with awesome sound. Thanks! :D

Shaviro said:

Oh wow. Now I know how to make a new map! It's a borderline impossible task without a video tutorial with awesome sound. Thanks! :D

Shaviro siting!

Heh I haven't seen you post here in a while.

* yawn *

i got distracted during the video. i ended up watching some naughty paris hilton video instead.

Janitor said:

* yawn *

i got distracted during the video. i ended up watching some naughty paris hilton video instead.

Is Paris Hilton famous for anything else than acting like a total fucking idiot? Couse she is not a singer or a movie star or anything. Does she even have a job? Why did she get famous in the first place?

hardcore_gamer said:

Is Paris Hilton famous for anything else than acting like a total fucking idiot? Couse she is not a singer or a movie star or anything. Does she even have a job? Why did she get famous in the first place?

She actually is a singer and an actress and much more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_Hilton

No wonder she's more interesting and famous than your tutorial ;-)

hardcore_gamer said:

Why did she get famous in the first place?

'cause she *didn't* try to do a doom map editing video tutorial.

Jodwin said:

'cause she *didn't* try to do a doom map editing video tutorial.

She could try belching though, that would make her even more famous.

And... hardcore_gamer ?