Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've read that the three remaining episodes of Doom weren't likely to be reimagined due to copyright issues, so why is it okay to reinterpret Doom 2?

GoatLord said:

I've read that the three remaining episodes of Doom weren't likely to be reimagined due to copyright issues,

They are unlikely to be done due to lack of manpower.

Nightmare Doom said:

What about Doom II: Hell on ZDoom?

Not to be confused with "Doom Z: Hell on ZDoom" ;-)

@GoatLord: I never heard it's prohibited making new maps/episodes that *look like* the original ones, and in fact there are multiple "episode replacements" or "reintepretations" especially of Doom 1's episodes (all three), mostly because the majority of the Doom community feels the original Doom levels were much, much better than Doom 2's. What IS prohibited, is using any of the original levels (even E1 ones) as a base for modification (as a result, "masterpieces" like DMINATOR.WAD or pre-BSP E1M1 modifications can no longer be found on official idgames mirrors).

There's no copyright issues with remaking the other episodes or games similar to what was done with KDIZD.

Graf Zahl said:

They are unlikely to be done due to lack of manpower.

If that's the case, why not try to ask forum lurkers to draw maps either on paper or actually, and send them to you (the real team) to finish them? It could save a fraction of time... And time spent on graphics and sprites would be significantly less than for KDiZD (Z1) too.

Dunno your objectives, but a revamped babel-tower, mystery-fortress, Cyberdemon, Spiderdemon would shake the community somewhat. KDiZD is a dream come true, after all it has shown -- map motifs, detail, monsters, expansions, continuity, e1-style encounters --, I admit it's true... Whatever I had imagined would appear in a Doom 1 mod, HAS appeared here, so... please don't listen to those who still have got the tainted impression that detail kills gameplay and makes all rooms look equal...WHICH IS WRONG. Gameplay depends solely on the skill and time of the designer.

And a lot of the assets from KDIZD (new sprites, weps, codes) could be carried over in sequel fashion, so it wouldn't entirely have to be built from the ground up; i think.

That can be done - but what delayed KDiZD for so long was that nearly all mappers jumped ship so at the end there was one person left to finish the maps.

There's Flashback for those who want more episodes.

And there's one or two upgrade mods being made for Doom2 aswell.

daimonreloaded said:

Oh, really? At me looks stucked from the last time i've entered to see the progress...

We have our own forum now the thread on zdoom forums is not being used by us no more.

I personally won't play any major role. KDIZD was fun, but I'd rather do more original work now instead of more reinterpretation. That said, I'll probably get sucked into doing another INTERMAP if the rest of the project does get off the ground.

If a child had been born on the day Mordeth episode 2 was announced it would be awaiting it's first year at secondary school now...

On the other hand, does anybody have a release date for Securitron 3?