Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AndrewB

Recurring dreams

I'd say that a dream qualifies as recurring if you can remember having it on three or more occasions.

I'm quite proud to say that have only two recurring dreams. It makes me feel superior for some reason. One is a bad dream in which a baseball team of which I'm not a fan shatters the runs-scored record with like 62 or 189 or some runs in a game. The other is a neutral dream in which I enter a public washroom that has dozens (maybe hundreds) of urinals and stalls, grids and halls and corridors of them, most of which are clogged and unusable.

I've had a couple of recurring dreams as well. the first I had several times between my junior high and post high school years. it involved a man who kills the ones I loved and eats their hearts. each dream he became more distorted and demonic. it was like having my own personal freddy kreuger. I stopped having the dreams after I turned 23.

the most recent recurring dream I've had involves a girl from work, who is not my fiancee, walkin on the beach of a tropical island. a volcano erupts. we run but are soon cut off by all these chimera (mixed up animals) running out of the jungle and in to the water or sprouting wings and flying away. one tells us that we'll be ok since we have each other. after it leaves we strip naked, kiss, hold each other and allow the flames and lava to consume us. I've had this dream four times already.

I can't remember having any dream more than once.

I'm a very innovative dreamer.

I never have recurring dreams. I have some recurring themes though. One is that the setting for like half my dreams is either at a school, at a mall, or on the street I grew up on. Also, since graduating high school I've had occasional dreams of having to go back to school again (maybe it has to do with the fact that I actually missed the credit requirements by .5 but they gave me my diploma anyway). Armageddon is also a recurring theme, and often I'm leading a bunch of people after said armageddon. Also having sex with women, which is weird cause I'm a virgin. Once I had a dream where I was having sex with a particular woman that happened twice in one week, and both times she was pretty much raping me. I'd almost say that was a recurring dream, but both were in totally different settings. One was in a school, and another was in some spaceship/office building and she was some pirate/overlord. I guess the closest thing that really counts as a recurring dream is that I've twice dreamed I was being chased by a sandworm from Dune, and both times I realised after a while that I was running from nothing and ended up on the playground at my old elementary school.

So yeah, not really. I was drunk when I wrote this, so excuse the rambling.

Having sex with a pirate/overlord in a spaceship/office building? That's nothing. I've dreamed of having sex with the Fibonacci number sequence (that sequence simultaneously being Natalie Portman).

Fredrik said:

I've dreamt of having sex with the Fibonacci number sequence (that sequence simultaneously being Natalie Portman).

That's a lie and you know it. You just wanted to somehow tie mathematics into your sexual fantasies. :p

I'm like Dan and have more recurring themes than dreams. Most of my dreams are about being in a world that feels familiar and comfortable in the dream but isn't when you wake up. Things like WWI in an alternate universe with armored war trains, arrow shaped jet planes and androids. I've also had dreams about games I really wish existed.

If it's a lie then I at least didn't make it up now. I also mentioned it in #zdoom the day after I had the dream.

I have had several recurring dreams. Over a span of my life time. Sometimes they get mixed up in new and or different dreams. And these are the dreams I remember most. Oddly enough.

Jeeze... I had a ton of recurring dreams. Haven't had any lately, however. But I dream about a lot of wierd shit practically every night so it's kind of excpected.

AndrewB said:

I'm quite proud to say that have only two recurring dreams. It makes me feel superior for some reason. One is a bad dream in which a baseball team of which I'm not a fan shatters the runs-scored record with like 62 or 189 or some runs in a game. The other is a neutral dream in which I enter a public washroom that has dozens (maybe hundreds) of urinals and stalls, grids and halls and corridors of them, most of which are clogged and unusable.

Haha, I wonder what those could mean. :D

I can't remember much of my dreams because I forget pretty much all of them about a few seconds after I wake up or if I stop focusing on them. Though I do remember having a few similar dreams about Sonic the Hedgehog, which was awesome. :D I always have dreams about Jaleel White voicing him again, because he was the greatest voice ever. :D

I might have had a few realistically-related reoccurring dreams but I can't recall any specifically. :D That and I often mix up what I dream and what really happens, as sometimes they are pretty realistic and don't involve Supersonic hedgehogs and/or anti-gravity time travel Godzillas. :D

I don't have recurring dreams, but rather recurring dream locations. As I get somwhere in the dream and go "hmm I've been here before in another dream"

I've had a few "recurring" dreams, "recurring" in quotes because I am never in the same place, but the exact same thing happens each time...

For some reason I constantly have dreams about seeing a plane flying slightly lower than normal (like its coming in for a landing), and all of a sudden it either stalls, flips up, or banks hard, then crashes into the ground not to far from me. Ever time it happens I somehow think its real, but then I wake up with a start and realize its all a dream...then I go "what the hell" and fall back asleep.

Another one is where...no matter where I am...a tornado just decides to drop out of the clouds and starts tearing up everything. Most of the time whilest Im outside (one time I was under a jungle gym).

Aircrashes and tornados....weird huh?

Also, some other recurring dreams have to do with the main chick character from a somewhat-well-known anime Eureka Seven....heh...

The motifs and events of my dreams upon waking inmediatly feel as if I had dreamed of them before. In some cases, these are dreams I have proof existed prior to the recollection..in other cases, I'm not so sure. I could say all my dreams are recurring ones, but if one can dream such thing as a deja vù, then my claim is groundless.

Same here. I always think I've had a certain dream multiple times after I wake up, but then I realize that I haven't and then I don't dream again for a month. A dream a month is pretty normal for me.

I haven't really had any recurring dreams (although I do get bizarre feelings of déjà vu a lot) but the weirdest dream I can remember having involves being at a house in the middle of the woods. On the outside it looked like a mansion but inside it had sheets and cardboard for most of the walls, and some walls that were nice looking, painted or wallpapered etc. Inside it a small quiet gettogether with several people was going on, so I go check it out. Inside I meet some girl I acted in a play with in high school that in the dream I hadn't seen in a while apparently. We talked for a bit and next thing I know she invites me to bed... so I follow her and we get to a room and start going at it. Right here things get really interesting. As we go at it all of the sudden my viewpoint changes to a third person view... I'm watching myself and the girl have sexual relations (yet feeling like I'm right there), all in a mansion with both fancy and ghetto walls... and it wasn't long when suddenly, I spontaneously changed gender. Next thing I know I'm also a woman like her and we are going at it like lesbos. Finally we finish, I go back to a man, and we return to the party. After a bit she finds me again and asks me to bed again but that time it was more 'normal'. After that, I wake up.

That dream (from like 4 months ago, so its not even that old) is somehow permenantly embedded into my memory, along with a nightmare I had as a child where I got sucked into a tornado. (And that dream was normal... no weird crap at all, I just got sucked into a tornado.)

I have had both recurring dreams and recurring themes, when I sleep.
One of the recurring dreams is as follows:

I'm 6, I'm in my old house's backyard. I walk toward a broken swing set. A plane passes overhead. I fall upwards. I grasp onto grass, trying to hold on and get my self to the swing set. I fall up, and almost hit the plane. I say almost because I wake before I smash.

Another recurring dream involves me turning into tanooki Mario to eat the magic school bus to unlock a bonus level where all machines have gone berserk and are trying to kill people. Oddly enough, I could make a level in doom that looked exactly like it. I had dreamed in 2.5 D.

Some basics for understanding:
1. I've been driving for 2 years now.
2. I am allergic to penicillin.
3. I don't like the police.

This is my recurring dream:

I wake up and start my day like normal. Take a shower, get dressed and hop in the car to go to school. As I am driving, and nearing the major street a block away from where I live, my brakes are no longer functional. And I go through the busy intersection without stopping at the stop sign. Luckily I do not hit anyone, but a cop care had to stop hard to prevent an accident from happening. He puts his sirens on and chases me down the street (this whole time I can't stop because my brakes don't work, I am even standing up on my brakes and nothing happens. Going through this residential area while being chased by this cop, I pass by a police station, and a cars start pouring out of there like milk in a pitcher. The second this happens, my brakes start working, and I come to a stop. The police surround me and take me to the police station. I am then told that my car is going to impounded. I can get out of this by taking a shot of penicillin, why I don't know. So they impound my car and I wake up. I don't know why I have this dream once a week, but it just happens.

This dream is not frightening (as in the case of a monster or something), but it is nerve wracking. I am sort of afraid of my brakes no longer working.

I had another dream multiple times when I younger, but I forgot what I did in it. All I know is that it was a gigantic adventure and the story of how stuff happens in this dream unfolds within the dream as I enter a new place and learn news things about what is going. I do not recall any specifics.

If recurring dreams freak you out so much, take sleeping pills.

I actually remembered the recurring dream that prompted me to post this thread. I forgot about it before posting, as it turns out.

This one is a bad-ish dream. I'm playing poker with a bunch of people and we're all dealt like 26 cards each. Of course, I realize "Hey, I could make a royal flush out of this." I then proceed to fumble around for minutes upon minutes as I find the necessary cards to make the A-K-Q-J-10 suited. I eventually locate the cards, but then turn helpless as the cards fall out of my hands, mysteriously change into other cards, etc. I guess the underlying emotion is that I feel like an idiot while making others wait for me to play my stupid cards.

I'm sure I've had this one at least three times.

Not recurring dream, but a recurring thing in my dreams. Since I learned the formula:

Xc =    1
     -------
     2pi f C
it keeps showing up in every dream. I don't even like it.
Capacitance formula ftw! Reactance for homos... wait, does this mean I'm gay? :O

My dreams are usually pretty random.

Although the dreams I've been having lately have been uncomfortably vivid.

Going out, only to realize I'm naked when it's too late. The rest of the dream has me fleeing from visual contact with people.

Recurring reaction when I wake up: noticing that I forgot to notice that it was a dream so as to have a lucid one.

Fredrik: you sound stupid in your attempt to seem pretentious :P

Lamneth said:

Antidote: If your normal brakes don't work pull the e-brake.

Reasons why I never do that:

A. I never think of it.
or
B. I usually don't have all the control.

Oh man, I've had the car control dream. What happens is my brakes will put me immediately into a skid, and I'll end up keeping momentum in the same direction no matter what, while the car rotates here and there, until it's traveling the same direction facing backward.

I have similar dreams. I'm driving in a car then I have to make some semi-complicated maneuver then realise I'm kind of sitting sideways in the seat, doing half-ass driving and I can't get to the right pedal, so I end up flyiong through stoplight or something. In one, I was just sitting there, eating a sandwich.

Dan actually reminded me of another one. (Gee, I guess I'm not so superior after all.) On a few occasions, I've had a dream where I'm driving through the city, typically after midnight or some non-busy time of day, and I just can't get the brakes to work. I feel as though I need to exert extreme physical force on the brakes to get the car to stop, but I just don't have it in me. Inevitably, I run several red lights, though never get into an accident.

The dream is met with feelings of guilt for running the red lights, yet helplessness for not really being able to do anything about it.

Edit: Wow, I guess it's obvious I didn't read other stories in this thread. Everyone has the "brakes" one.