Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
june gloom

KDIZD secrets! (spoilers, obviously.)

well i spent about two nights putting this together: a complete listing of secrets in KDIZD. some of the secrets are easy to find, such as any of M1's, and some have people searching for HOURS, such as the secret exit in M3. so i figured i might as well type up a list and present it to you.

thanks to GZ for helping me find some of the harder ones.

NOTE: i make use of directions such as "north" and "south". this assumes you don't have "rotate automap" on.

Z1M1

1. Near the first green armour, if you look out the central window and turn left, you'll see a discoloured wall. Open it and you can go outside and get a shotgun.

2. Across from the first red door you discover is a hallway, ending in a dead-end with intestines spilling out. Look for a button near a depression in the wall for some goodies.

3. When you walk outside past the red-lit room, walk around the otherside of the building across the way for a box of ammo.

Z1M2

1. From the start point, head right and look for a discolouration in the wall on the east side of the central structure. The classic backpack room remains a secret here.

2. In the slime room past the red door, look for a POISON sign. Beneath the surface of the slime is a tunnel; swim until the wall changes, then surface and get yourself some goodies. It might help to bring the yellow key along, as there is a locked door here, beyond which you can get a soulsphere. Otherwise, continuing down the tunnel will take you to the zig-zag room.

3. In the dark section full of computers, directly across from the forcefield in the east end of that section is a hidden room; the green key is here.

4. Returning to the starting area, head back to where the forcefield on the other side of the central structure was, and pick up your brand new chaingun.

5. Also in this area is a green door; beyond is a way to the outside area near where you got the red key, where a few items, notably a soulsphere, are available.

6. Look closely along the rocks in this area- there's an open pass east of the blue sphere that has a couple of ammo boxes waiting for you.

7. At the far western end of the computer section is an open entryway with sparks flying. This tunnel will lead you to the chainsaw room. On the way, just past where the forcefield is, open up the wall with the glowing green bottom edge for some goodies.

8. In the zigzag room, on the western side, you can clearly see a tunnel. Swim under the fence and the tunnel will take you up to walk ON the fence, so do a tightrope act until you get to the green armour. Take note that the secret will not take effect unless you actually GRAB the armour, so don't go looking for this secret with >100 armour.

9. Eventually you'll wind up in an outdoor section where you can climb the rocks a little (and imps will be taking potshots at you.) Use the rocks to climb up onto a low wall on the west side of the area, where you can drop down into a hole into a secret area.

Z1M3

1. In the yellow key area, look for three computers with security monitors. Use the ones displaying red and blue lights, then use the third one. Now, go to where the hatch opened up, and pick up the tiny crate on a nearby ledge (by "using" it). Now return to the ledge beneath the hatch, and use the crate for the extra height boost needed to get into the hatch. Beyond is a hidden area; the big door will lead to the soulsphere.

2. While in the first room of the previous secret area, the hallway opposite the big door has a switch that you can throw. This will open up another area on the other side of the yellow key room. In that area are some items, but also a river of slime along the edge of the room with two tunnels on either end. The eastern tunnel leads to a hazard suit and a backpack; using the computer past the white-lit entryway nearby will open up a door, which will take you back to the switch that opened up the yellow key room.

3. The western tunnel, on the other hand, leads to a small, mazey section of slime-flooded tunnels. Consult your automap. One deadend has another suit if you need it. On the other side of the maze is a dry area with a broken door and a bunch of barrels off to either side. Shoot the large collection of barrels to the left side of the door, and step through the resulting hole. Beyond is another hazard suit, plus a very nuclear secret ;) Blow up the barrels to get access to the green key.

4. Past the yellow key room switch is a room with a row of computers on the west side and a ladder on the right. Use the middle computer (the one with the red map on the monitor) to reveal a backpack.

5. Next, climb the ladder for some goodies and a switch. Make sure you throw it.

6. When you reach the circular bridge through the slime, take a dive off the western side of the bridge and look for a tunnel; swim through it until you can surface. Grab the rocket launcher; that's what the switch was for.

7. In the mines you'll come across a bridge over brown water. Take a dip, and look for the wall with electronic circuits set into it. Press the green button, then QUICKLY swim towards the tunnel before the bars that block it come back down. Beyond is the silver key.

8. Near the bridge is a room that's half-constructed, with loose tiles everywhere. Examine the tunnel in one corner of this room for a backpack.

9. If you walk over the slimefall there is an outdoor section. If you climb the rocks a little you can get a Terrorsphere. No message telling you you got a secret appears, but it still counts.

10. At some point in the mines you'll across a big door with crates on either side. Climb the crates on the left to get into the alcove for some items, including a berzerker.

11. Nearby are some small, glass-enclosed vats with circuitry at their bases. Look for the green circuitry, and "use" it. Then go into the opposite hall and throw the now-revealed switch. This opens up a secret area with several items and a switch. You need all six keys before you can throw the switch. The switch itself will open up the big door nearby, which leads to the secret exit to Z1M9, where you can grab the only rifle that isn't a secret. (Though, I guess it is, sort of?)

Non-secrets:

A. Past the blue door is some slime, with tunnels leading to other pools. East of this pool is another pool with a slimefall pouring into it. At the bottom is a chainsaw.

B. In the mines, near the elevator is a little dead-end choked with bare roots. At the end is a little floodlight and some items.

Z1M9

1. In the initial 9-section area (think of a 3x3 square) in the northeast corner of the southernmost section, as well as the southwest corner of the eastern section, you can ride a hidden lift down to a pit of sludge and some items on a little island, as well as some armour bonuses nearby. The secret will not be triggered until you climb on the island.

2. Also in the eastern section, there are some crates in the northwest corner. Going behind them and picking up the double-barrelled shotgun triggers a secret.

3. In the huge outdoor area with lots of bare ground, look for the two big metal panels with UAC on them near the way you came into this area. The one on the left can be reached by standing on the top step and jumping onto the ledge, then jumping again onto the higher ledge, then opening up the panel. Rocket jumps also work. Beyond is a soulsphere.

Z1M4

1. In a hallway just northwest of the central blue key kiosk, with two large fans in the ceiling, check the flat, blast-door type wall just before the hall reaches a dead-end overlooking the large room that formerly was just outside the original E1M4's start room. Beyond are some rockets, stimpacks, and a berserk pack.

2. From the north entryway at the central kiosk, if you go straight instead of turning right, look for a break in the pattern of the wall. Inside you'll find some items.

3. When you throw the switch that lights up the mines a little, check the bottom of the wall for the tell-tale yellow and black stripes. Open up that section of the wall for some items.

4. Do this and the next one BEFORE you throw the switch to lower the blue key. When you reach the room with a narrow vat of slime and a bridge going lengthwise across it, one of the rounded corners just past the east end of the bridge has a misaligned texture. Open up that section for a radsuit.

5. Now jump into the slime and look for an alcove with an SSG and some shells.

6. When you reach the room with the big Doom 3-style UAC logo and stacks of computers in the back, jump between the two taller stacks to reach the backpack that you can see but not reach from the floor.

7. When you reach the end of the map, return to the beginning and the yellow door will be open. Check your automap for a section of the storeroom beyond that won't appear (there are two dead Marines sitting up against crates right in front.) Use that section of the wall for a fishy cameo and a megasphere.

Z1M5

1. In the room near the beginning with a big letter A in a circle on a glass floor looking into some sludge, use the computer with the black fronting to open up a secret behind you.

2. In the big circular room with a vat of slime you can swim in, and windows overlooking an outdoor area with some buildings across the way, two lifts will lower when you walk past them. One of these lifts has a secret door in the wall at the top. The circuit board beyond is another door. The hallway beyond that has some green armour and a door leading back out into the room just beyond the red door.

3. In that same secret, in the green armor hall right by the circuit board you opened up, is a switch. It doesn't seem to do anything, but return to near the beginning, just after the bridge over sludge between some big holding tanks, and go through the secret entrance and ruin any chances of Torment n' Torture ever finishing. :)

4. In the room shortly before the silver door with a blue floor and strobing lights, look for the section of the wall that is entirely lit up from top to bottom. Beyond is a chaingun and some ammo.

5. Beyond the silver door is a room with three alcoves with strobing lights. You can use the nearby crates to get into one of those alcoves

6. Behind the building across the open area is a berzerker.

7. In the yellow key room, look for a computer panel with red lights, just across from the yellow key. Open it up to get the grenade launcher and a bunch of rockets.

8. On the western end of the final dark room is a part of the wall that's slightly lighter than usual. Inside is a pair of light-amplification goggles.

Z1M6

1. At some point you'll come across a huge spanse of sludge with no safe way to get across save carefully inching along a narrow ledge. There's a big sludgefall across the way. Dive in and wade towards the waterfall until you can swim down; follow the short pipeline to a soulsphere.

2. In an outdoor area with a huge canyon, you can see a ledge below a walkway, with glowing blue computer panels. Jump the fence and do a running jump off into the canyon to land on the ledge.

3. In an underground section with a silver door nearby, you can jump the low walls to walk on bare cavern floor. In one corner is a tunnel leading to a deep pit; you can reach this tunnel by carefully inching along the narrow ledge to a wider ledge in a corner, which you can use to start a running jump. You can alternatively crawl through a window to get to that wider ledge, and then jump.

4. Once you've placed the battery into its slot, QUICKLY run into the nearby alcove with a switch. This will open up a door in the outer section nearby. Alternatively, you can ride the nearby elevator to the upper area, then jump through a broken grating and down a vent. But it's a long drop.

5. Near the elevator, in the cavernous part, is an alcove (consult your automap, as it may be hard to see in the dark.) A quick jump will net you a bunch of health bonuses and some light amp goggles.

6. Past the silver door is a bridge over some slime, and a hazard suit in an alcove. Open up the wall behind it for some rockets, health, and green armour.

7. Past the big metal master-locked doors is a walkway surrounding a large pit. If you jump on the railing, then jump off into an alcove. The black wall in the back of this alcove opens up to reveal a megasphere.

Z1M7

1. In the brightly lit hallway with a red floor early in the map, across from where you come into the complex, some exposed circuitry hides a grenade launcher.

2. In the small maze lined with circuitry and mechanical bits, seek out a brown panel set into the wall. This takes you to the complex' "main entrace" that was unreachable from the start point.

3. Examine the wall where the two short passages come together by the red door. There is a slight discoloration at the end of the central wall. Inside is a blue armour.

4. After the silver door you'll at some point come across a path that dead-ends in a small vat of sludge (well, small compared to the much larger vat that comprises most of the first room beyond the silver door.) Take a dip and find the half-submerged tunnel nearby. Throw the switch you find within (it's under the sludge.) Now return to the room before the silver door with circular red computer structures. A door has opened, and there's plenty of things to find.

5. In the red key room, find the computer displaying a blue UAC logo and use it. A secret door will move away at the beginning of the hall you came into this room from. A lift will lower you down to a secret ledge, and you can grab a rifle, one of only 3 in game.

6. On the way back from shutting off the red forcefield that guards the green key, a small room will have opened near one that had opened earlier. The circuit panel is really a lift that will take you up by the slime vat near the soulsphere trap.

7. Swim under the bridge, and on the other side, climb onto narrow ledge on the western end of the bridge (across from the passage that takes you back to the main stairwell) Open up the secret passage to get the most powerful weapon in the game.

8. The passage that takes you back to the main stairwell counts as yet another secret.

9. Once you've got the green key, go back to where the forcefield was and jump up on the ledge. Do a running jump onto the sloped ledge across the slime. Don't do this anywhere else as you'll hit your head on the ceiling and fall. Work your way over to the skull in the wall, and open it up to get a berzerk pack.

10. Grab the hazard suit near the green key and swim down the nearby channel to where you could see a megasphere from the window.

Z1M10

1. As soon as you step out of the building you're in take a dive under the pipes to your left. Beyond is some stuff, including a rocket launcher.

2. When you get to the bridge over the slime, jump off towards the exposed roots on the other end. Grab the green armour.

3. Once you enter the sandy-floored room beyond the door that you had to operate a red and blue computer to reach, go around the big central pillar and find the darker-coloured section of the wall between two windows. Now go back and step into the newly-revealed teleport.

4. In the middle of the crate maze is a big metal panel with UAC on it. Open it up for a blur artifact.

5. Past the red door, when you throw the switch that lets you outside, lower the pillar to the right of that switch. The teleport will take you to a secret.

6. The switch in the previous secret will open a door near the slime bridge, for the third and final rifle.

7. Across from the yellow door, in the "hand" cave, is a small area with a red button. Open it to get a soulsphere.

8. Also in the hand cave, just beyond the bars that you raise, and just before the big arena battle for the yellow key, there's a small cavern that some imps will ambush you from. Open up one of the stone walls for some goodies.

9. In the final area, look for a red button along the outer walkway. This opens up a secret area in the north, which you can reach by first climbing on the rocks nearby then jumping onto the corner.

Z1M8

1. In the sludgey area after the cacos and zombies ambush you, press the POISON sign just to the side of where you can fall in to open up a secret area.

2. Past the blue door, head left and look for a green button on the wall. It'll open up a secret.

3. Past the door that requires the red, blue and yellow keys, immediately turn right and open the wall closest to the door for a soulsphere.

dethtoll said:

Z1M3

10. At some point in the mines you'll across a big door with crates on either side. Climb the crates on the left to get into the alcove for some items, including a berzerker.

Are you sure the crates can be "climbed"? I looked for any way to get to the top so that I could jump into the alcove, but there is always at least one 64-unit high crate that one needs to get atop. [ZDooM max jump height is 56 units, I believe.] In the end I decided that the authors wanted the player to rocket-jump to the window or to the top crate. I tried it a couple of times, and it worked both times. Of course, the player needs to find the rocket launcher in the secret area first.

But staying on topic, good job on the exhaustive list. I'm embarrassed to say this, but I probably will need to refer to your secrets guide from time to time. I managed to find all the secrets in Z1M3 mostly on my own, with a little help from the hints in the forums. But it took me a frustratingly long time. At this rate I'll get done playing KDiZD sometime in 2008.

ReX said:

Are you sure the crates can be "climbed"? I looked for any way to get to the top so that I could jump into the alcove, but there is always at least one 64-unit high crate that one needs to get atop. [ZDooM max jump height is 56 units, I believe.] In the end I decided that the authors wanted the player to rocket-jump to the window or to the top crate. I tried it a couple of times, and it worked both times. Of course, the player needs to find the rocket launcher in the secret area first.

I remember I did this without any "special tricks". It's possible to just jump from crate to crate to the top.

Delvin said:

I remember I did this without any "special tricks". It's possible to just jump from crate to crate to the top.

I went back into the map and tried repeatedly to jump to the top crate or the window ledge, and I found every path to be too high. Can someone from the KDiZD team please confirm this, one way or the other?

You can get up there by jumping from crate to crate. No special tricks necessary.

Yes, no tricks needed!
It's easier to get up into the alcove though, if the barrels in that area are still intact and you can jump onto them.

If you jump on those crates near the secret exit door, you can run and jump to the higher crates. After that, you can jump to those little crates next to the alcove.

Ichor said:

If you jump on those crates near the secret exit door, you can run and jump to the higher crates. After that, you can jump to those little crates next to the alcove.

Thank you for the tip. I had to try a few times, but I managed to jump across from the crates on the other side of the door (as you pointed out).

A very clever jumping puzzle.

Vader said:It's easier to get up into the alcove though, if the barrels in that area are still intact and you can jump onto them.

At HMP skill level I didn't see any barrels.
[EDIT: I just opened up the map in an editor and noticed that the barrels are present only in UV/NM skill level]

well, I never even found an alcove. On the right side of the crates I was able to jump into some kind of alcove way high up-- but there was nothing in it :(

I then went to the left side and could not, like the other poster, get up there because of the 64 high crate.

Also, I did not find a rifle at the end of Z1M9-- I did find one on the secret level tho.

Z1M9

Right before the imp-cage area, on the left wall of the hallway you come out of is an inconspicuous switch next to some pipes. Flip it to hear 2 mad remixes of the E1M9 tune.

Hellbent said:

well, I never even found an alcove. On the right side of the crates I was able to jump into some kind of alcove way high up-- but there was nothing in it :(

I then went to the left side and could not, like the other poster, get up there because of the 64 high crate.

The alcove on the right side only contains an item meant for co-op mode. Therefore it is not designated as a secret area.

To get to the alcove on the left you need to climb onto the crates below the alcove on the right. If you find the right crate to start from, angle yourself correctly, and launch yourself at the right time you'll get to the top of the crate near the door. You may fall off because of the momentum, but if you don't, make the next jump to the top of the high crate closest to you. This one is easy. And from there the rest is straightforward.

Speaking of the first Z1M3 secret on your list...

Haha, that was so funny to read after playing the level first on my own. I did see that small box, yeah. I would never ever have thought about picking it up because that's just not how Doom objects behave. After thinking about it for a while, I ended up picking the good old jump height increasier (read:Rocket launcher), and flew the last few inches in :D And that Soulsphere cleared the damage loss nicely enough to make it feel almost intentional. That would've nicely completed the "find as many secrets in the level as possible to reach the secret level" -theme, since the rocket launched required already two secrets of its own.

I believe it causes enemies to run away from you instead of chase you. They'll still attack occasionally, but not nearly as often.

Ichor said:

I believe it causes enemies to run away from you instead of chase you. They'll still attack occasionally, but not nearly as often.

That's precisely what it does.

Ichor said:

Also, enemies with projectile attacks can (and do) still attack from a distance. The terrorsphere has a limited radius of influence, so enemies outside that radius will attack/approach as normal.

It'll be interesting to see how the terrorsphere affects bosses such as the cyberdemon at close range.

dethtoll said:

Z1M3

7. In the mines you'll come across a bridge over brown water. Take a dip, and look for the wall with electronic circuits set into it. Press the green button, then QUICKLY swim towards the tunnel before the bars that block it come back down. Beyond is the silver key.

Is this actually possible without strafe running?

LogicDeLuxe said:

Is this actually possible without strafe running?

As I don't quite know how to strafe-run and I made it into the secret, I imagine it's possible. [I had to try a few times, however, and perhaps I did a strafe run without meaning to.]

dethtoll said:

Z1M7
6. On the way back from shutting off the red forcefield that guards the red key, a small room will have opened near one that had opened earlier. The circuit panel is really a lift that will take you up by the slime vat near the soulsphere trap.

I believe you meant to say "... forcefield that guards the green key ...."

i did, but i was tired and red forcefield makes my brain say "red key". fixing.

What the *^% is up with the blue area and keycard in Map02 (z1m2)? The OP didn't cover it and what's strange is that the key is on the opposite side of the locked blue door, and the entry way where the door is has a teleport linedef in the hallway. I had to noclip around to try and make sense of it. Unfinished area? It seems really weird to me.

You almost beat the bump record but you're off by a few years.

Come to think of it where is that thread that got bumped from like 2003 in EE?

SavageCorona said:

You almost beat the bump record but you're off by a few years.

Come to think of it where is that thread that got bumped from like 2003 in EE?

Maybe was it this one on Doom General?

While you're technically right, it was a different one in EE. I forgot what it was about though. I might even be thinking of the wet dream thread from 2010.