Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
deathbringer

EDGE Roadmap

Over at the EDGE website, ajapted has posted a "roadmap" of planned future developments of EDGE. The major items include LAN multiplayer, a new scripting language, and slopes. Read it here.

There was a build over on the zdoom forums two years ago or so that added drivable objects, however it was fairly hackey and was ultimately never anything more than a test binary.

Hopefully edge finds a graceful solution to vehicles. I'm also interested to see how the lua support pans out.

How do you plan to visually represent a vechicle in the DOOM renderer using sprites? Or are the plans for vechicle support more along the lines of a simple player class system with variables controlling physics (and thus vechicles can be drawn using a skin system)?

DaniJ said:

How do you plan to visually represent a vechicle in the DOOM renderer using sprites?

Being inside (or on top of) the vehicle will be done by creating a special kind of weapon, very much like Aliens TC did with the walking-cage thing.

Outside, the vehicle is just another Thing. When you enter the vehicle, that thing more-or-less becomes the player's new avatar, so the properties of the vehicle thing are used for the physics (size, mass, speed, view-height, etc).

Transitions when entering and leaving will be tricky, I agree that models are better suited to vehicles than sprites, nevertheless I'm more interested in the fun aspect rather than the realism aspect.

Ghostbusters Doom cars don't look too bad, and a cyberdemon-sized robot to drive would work very well. Lorries and Buses on the other hand would just be wierd and buggy, as things have a cylindrical collision box. Helicopters and small boats would be merely OK. Though it would be possible to get underneat those and look up in multiplayer which would lead to some wierd effects

Either way it's nice to see somebody implementing features for the "fun" or "cool" factor rather than worrying about practicality or "There wouldnt be a car in hell"

This all sounds good, vehicle support especially! :) Any chance you guys might refine the sound engine some more, too? After downloading RC#6, everything sounds grainier than I remember. Even increasing the mixing rate and size has no effect on quality. Frankly, it just sounds awful. :/ Maybe I'm using the wrong sound driver, though?

You could try specifying the SDL audio driver with new
-waveout,
-dsound and
-audiodriver options.

The -audiodriver option is followed by the driver name.

Snarboo said:

After downloading RC#6, everything sounds grainier than I remember. Even increasing the mixing rate and size has no effect on quality. Frankly, it just sounds awful. :/ Maybe I'm using the wrong sound driver, though?

I haven't noticed any obvious degradation. Does it really sound worse than Chocolate-Doom?

Ajapted said:

I haven't noticed any obvious degradation. Does it really sound worse than Chocolate-Doom?

I don't know, to be honest. I've never used Chocolate Doom :/ I guess I'm just spoiled by ZDoom...sorry! It's also been a few months since I've used EDGE, so my memory is a little hazy.