Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MmM

Look what the cat dragged in

This is an action figure of the Breath of Fire II (Capcom
SNES RPG) video game character , Katt, that I started sculpting/modeling on Tuesday (6/5/07) afternoon. It should stand about 8 inches tall when finished. Total articulation will clock in at around 58 individual joints (at this point it has 41). While a fairly impressive number, note that 15 of the joints are in the tail alone, and another 34 of them are in the hands/wrists (each knuckle is individually articulated on all 10 fingers). The head, body, tail, and arms seen here are mostly finished, although not fully assembled and in need of some more paint operations. Obviously, I still need to make the legs as well. In the accessories department, at the very least she will have a 8-9 inch long cat's paw adorned staff--maybe I'll make some healing/restorative items from the game too. I anticipate this will be finished sometime early next week (weather permitting, I'm planning on going fishing Saturday and Sunday, so I probably won't get much work done on it over the weekend).

It's looking very good, I'm probably most impressed with the detailing around the hands and gloves, very nice.

I finished her up Monday night.

For comparison purposes, below are four images of Katt from the Super Entertainment System video game 'Breath of Fire II'. The first is a facial shot of Katt taken from the status menu, the second depicts her overworld sprite, preparing to whack someone (which the short-tempered catwoman does often in the game), the third is one of her battle graphics, showing Katt spinning her staff, and the last is Katt's enemy battle sprite, taunting the hero, when you fight her as a boss character early in the game.

Completed figure:

Materials:
(Katt) Cardboard from a cereal box, newsprint, colored paper, a plastic broom bristle, Kleenex, wire twist ties, white/hot glue, and acrylic paint.

(Tigress Paw Staff) Newsprint, a wire twist tie, toothpicks, white/hot glue, and acrylic paint.

Dimensions*:
(*The numbers given are for the figure posed standing as straight as possible, hands at its' sides, tail hanging straight down, and without the staff accessory.)
22.8 cm/9.0 in. x 7.0 cm/2.8 in. (highest point x widest point)
Articulation:
Fifty-four points total. The neck has two joints; one at the base of the skull and another where it connects to the body. The waist rotates. The tail has fifteen jointed sections. The arms have fifteen joints each for a total of thirty; they move at the shoulders, at the elbows, at the wrists, and each finger is individually jointed at every knuckle. The legs have three joints each for a total of six; they move at the hips, knees, and ankles.
Time:
Approximately five days; construction ran from 6/5/07-6/11/07. I began this figure in the afternoon on the 5th; the first things I made were the head and hair. The next day, the 6th, I constructed the neck, upper body, lower body, and tail. On the 7th, I made the arms and hands, finished up the paint on the body and neck (mostly black stripes), and connected the head to the neck and the neck to the body via wire joints. I took a break and didn't do any work on this figure the 8th or 9th. On the 10th I created the legs and attached the hands to the arms, and the arms to the body, via wire joints. The last day, the 11th, resulted in the construction of the feet and Tigress Paw Staff accessory, as well as the connection of the feet to the legs, the legs to the waist, and the waist to the body, completing the figure.

Webpage with more information:

http://kramwartap.fortunecity.com/katt.html

As a brief aside, here's a photo of some leg bones from a Golden Axe 3 undead skeleton lizard warrior that I started prior to the Super Mario Land Batadon figure I made earlier this month. The skeletal figure wasn't developing the way I wanted it to, so I ditched the project and made the Mario flying Moai instead. The bones are a little worse for wear after suffering some abuse (having a cup full of nasty, at-least-a-month-old paintbrush rinse water accidentally dumped on them and being bounced around in my toolbox amongst other things).

Heh, that was a fitting way of showing the figure's approximate size (putting her on the cat, I mean).

Yeah, it gives a relative size idea, although that wasn't my intent--I just took it 'cuz it seemed appropriate, give the nature of the character. Of course, cats can vary quite a bit in dimensions [we've got five, the two males are huge, two of the females are what I'd call 'average' (one of which is the one in the photo), and the other female is quite petite].

nice. the pic on the cat is pretty damn cute. I love the cats paw staff. I like those bones for the abandoned golden axe figure. nice shape for those femurs.

Awesome. I second the cat pic it looks cute. Very posable figure and the staff looks pretty cool too. About the bones.. they still look pretty good imo.

The cat wasn't upset, although she did think I was trying to play with her at first and decided Ms. Katt was something to gnaw on. She got some cat treats for her troubles, so it was all good . . .