Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CodeImp

Current lack of progress on Doom Builder

EDITED since Doom Builder 1.68 release;

Doom Builder's development is currently on low priority due to another project that requires my attention. This doesn't mean I'm giving up the project, it only means that updates will appear less often than usual.

TheDarkArchon said:

Yay. At least it isn't a crippling WoW addiction. :)

Yeah, but randy finally managed to stop this finally ;)

...though, it's a very sad thing, because the latest DBs are very unstable. How long will that take CodeImp?

Tormentor667 said:

Yeah, but randy finally managed to stop this finally ;)

...though, it's a very sad thing, because the latest DBs are very unstable. How long will that take CodeImp?

How long will it take before kdizd is finished? I bet the answer is the same.

Mancubus II said:

How long will it take before kdizd is finished? I bet the answer is the same.

Good point, but we can already say something about an estimated developement time left, and maybe CodeImp can tell me something similar... in months or weeks.

It's a matter of months, but I can't tell exactly how many, since I have no clue how long I will be working on my other project. The latest DB (1.67) is indeed unstable, but version 1.66 is pretty stable, thats why I uploaded that one.

well im glad we got some sorta info on this. planning on returning to doom map makin once you make another release

hope its sometime before this summer

the first post of in this thread was at the begining of feb, it is now mid may

thats almost 3 months, what work has been done in that time :)

This post is not invalid since I have started development of Doom Builder 2. Unstickied.

A wad configuration called "Bloodmasters"... ?
You're going to have to be more specific than that, I have no clue where you could have seen that name (unless ofcourse you were actually looking at Bloodmasters).

Anyway, It is too early to say what will and what will not be in Doom Builder 2. I'm not even sure if it will be there at all since I ran into a few bumps in the road. Have patience, when it is there, you will hear about it.

The very first Doom Builder 1 version(s) didn't have everything Doom Builder 1 has now. And because it has those features now, it's code has become cluttered crap because it wasn't meant for these features. When I re-design the program from the ground up, I can keep all these things I have learned in mind and design a better one which allows me to make features that are no longer possible in Doom Builder 1 and it also makes for some nice and clean object oriented source code... if everything works as I want it too, but right now it seems drawing 33656 lines on the screen (vrack3's linedefs and normals) is a little slow, while in Doom Builder 1 this was lightning fast :\

What are you coding it in? C#? I remember from looking in the Doom Builder 1 source code that you did the drawing by directly accessing the memory of VB bitmap, or something. If you're struggling to achieve the same kind of performance in .NET it might be worth checking out the source for Paint.net, as I believe it uses a lot of techniques for optimised graphics in (mostly) managed code. Just a suggestion.

Yes that is how DB 1 does it. It has a 256 color bitmap that is directly modified. Lines are drawing using a bresenham line algorythm. I'm using DirectX in C# for Doom Builder 2, but I think that due to all the features and the whole graphics pipeline which DirectX has it just slows down my line draws unnecesary. I will definitely have a look at Paint.net, perhaps they give me some new ideas, thanks!

CodeImp said:

A wad configuration called "Bloodmasters"... ?
You're going to have to be more specific than that, I have no clue where you could have seen that name (unless ofcourse you were actually looking at Bloodmasters).

Anyway, It is too early to say what will and what will not be in Doom Builder 2. I'm not even sure if it will be there at all since I ran into a few bumps in the road. Have patience, when it is there, you will hear about it.

One of the .cfg's that come with the source code of doom builder is this:

Bloodmasters.cfg

/*************************************************************\
	Doom Builder Game Configuration for Bloodmasters
\*************************************************************/

// This is required to prevent accedential use of a different configuration
type = "Doom Builder Game Configuration";

// This is the title to show for this game
game = "Bloodmasters";

// Map format determines the way the map will be loaded
mapformat = 2;

// No generalized types