Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Touchdown

Unused DOOM tracks

Romero just posted a collection of tracks that never made it into DOOM. Some early versions, some new. I think at least some of them are (again) based on real songs but I'm not sure.

http://www.rome.ro/

It's interesting, the track numbers go to 52, but 22 of them are missing. I guess those are the ones that made it into the final game.

I've actually been thinking about asking Prince about this lately. This is absolutely amazing!

Oh, and I like un36. :P

Heh, a lot of these are more covers.

EDIT: Posting comments on each one.

opening - this one became the map30 music, Opening To Hell, of course.
un08 - early version of the e3m8 music.
un09 - sounds like this may have been another candidate for e3m8 music.
un12 - another e3m8 candidate maybe, or just a really heavy track.
un13 - john wasn't kidding. this song is repetitive as hell.
un14 - a basic rock track.
un15 - this sounds like a more laid back version of e3m8. the chord progression is the same.
un16 - another really heavy one!
un17 - the guitar riff in this is kinda reminiscent of The Demon's Dead from Doom II. goes into a fast heavy rhythm in the second half.
un18 - cover of Slayer - Silent Scream.
un19 - a nice rockish track. one of the notes in the main riff sounds kind of weird to me, but otherwise i like it.
un20 - the main riff doesn't have much going on in it, but 3/4 of the way through the song the chord progression changes and it suddenly
gets a lot more interesting. :P
un21-f - the refrain of this one sounds sort of familiar. maybe it's a cover i'm not recognizing. probably not.
un23 - another rock track. not much to say about it. gets more interesting towards the end.
un28 - an early(?) version of Bye Bye American Pie from Doom II, which is a cover of Alice in Chains - Them Bones.
un30 - heh, a funky track with some piano chords.
un31 - fast-paced rock track with an interesting guitar riff. like un19, some of the notes sound kind of weird, but it wouldn't be a bad
track if they were fixed :P
un32 - hahaha, it's another slow version of e3m8. the chord progression is the same, and it's got the exact same riff at the end of the
progression. it's interesting to hear these different variations of it.
un36 - john says he hated this song. i don't hate it, but it definitely doesn't sound doomish.
un37 - early version of e3m2. progression is slightly different, and it lacks the other guitar part.
un39 - a very short unfinished orchestral track.
un41 - starts out as a cover of Alice in Chains - Down in a Hole, and oh wow, it goes into a cool heavy rock thing after a few
seconds. very neat. then it..uh. abruptly jumps back to Down in a Hole. very awkward.
un42 - cover of Alice in Chains - Junkhead, but with a different-sounding progression towards the end.
un43 - cover of Alice in chains - Dirt. goes into its own sort of weird thing, then brings in some strings later on.
un44 - early version of e2m1! this one sounds a lot more like AC/DC - Big Gun, which it was suspected to be based on.
un45 - this one's got a very awkward-sounding guitar riff. sounds like he's hitting some sour notes again. it goes orchestral around 01:25,
but due to the crappy midi strings it sounds more like bluegrass fiddles or something :(
un46 - early version of Adrian's Asleep from Doom II, which is a cover of Alice in Chains - Angry Chair. not much interesting
difference to speak of between this and the final version.
un48 - early version of e3m3, which is a cover of Slayer - Behind the Crooked Cross. sounds about the same as the final one, just
shorter i think.
un49 - e1m2. i think this is the same one that was in the final version of the game.
un51 - cover of Pantera - Walk.
un52 - early version of The Demon's Dead, with a different guitar riff. cover of Slayer - South of Heaven.

esselfortium said:

un21-f - the refrain of this one sounds sort of familiar. maybe it's a cover i'm not recognizing. probably not.

According to a friend of mine it's a cover of "Dead and Bloated" by Stone Temple Pilots.

edit: un23's Sex Type Thing by Stone Temple Pilots, apparently.

edit 2: un31 - Soundgarden - Rusty Cage

Awesome, I really wanted to hear these!

Curiously, Romero mentions there are "map source files" for DOOM (supposedly kind of like in Quake).

Awesome indeed. I didn't know they even existed, but they're an interesting (and entertaining) part of Doom history. Now I wonder if we can use these tracks in PWADs...

myk: DoomEd didn't actually create .wad files, that was the job of idBSP, which would read the map source file created by DoomEd and turn it into the finished product. At least that is my understanding of it.

myk said:

Curiously, Romero mentions there are "map source files" for DOOM (supposedly kind of like in Quake).

You have never seen one of those? Yes, it's true. Id's node builder took a completely different text based format that knew nothing about sectors and compiled the map from it.

Yeah, I've seen the map files... I was just suprised (though, yeah, it was predictable) to see the same procedure, being used to editors that directly produce wads.

I doubt there would be any problems if we were to use then in PWADs. The only issue, that they are mostly based on commercial tracks, is already shared by many of the tracks in the DOOM games themselves.

Esselfortium, you can complete some of the song bases using an app that displays internal MIDI titles, as some of the tracks show what songs they are offshoots of.

myk said:

There's also a free map editor that works with this approach, WadC 1.1 by Wouter van Oortmerssen. I don't know if there's any notable map made in this way, though. I guess "function based" editing has its charm, too ...

About the unused tracks...well, they were just not...*cough cough* "meant to be" ;-)

These are seriously awesome.

UN17 is a cover of Slayer's Raining Blood.

edit: UN20 is a cover of Alice in Chains's Man in a Box.

edit edit: The middle section of UN51 (based on Pantera's Walk) follows the same chord sequence as the end of D_COUNTD (map03 etc., not sure what the real name is)

TheDarkArchon said:

MAP31 or 32 (can't remember which) was made in wadC (Hexagons)

I see what you mean...it must be great for certain kinds of complex prefabs.

Heh, it's not a joke about how simple or repetitive the Wolfenstein levels are, but that a level by the same author as the editing tool in the 10 sectors contest was made with it.

I've never seen the original map files or even really heard about how DoomED worked, where are you guys getting this from?

Linguica said:
I've never seen the original map files

That's normal, I meant (and so must have Graf Zahl) that I saw the ones for Quake or similar games.

John posted about DoomEd at his forums. Try a per post search for DoomEd there under his user name (The Romero).

myk said:

Awesome, I really wanted to hear these!

Even they probably appear quite primitiv compared to DEU and Deutex, I'd say id's original tools belong into the historic archives. These midi's do as well, of course.
If you want to see a source file, E1M1 is included with id's BSP source. http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=157

Ah, thanks. So there was an available Doom level source file, after all.

LogicDeLuxe said:
I'd say id's original tools belong into the historic archives.

I think Romero was willing to perhaps release the DoomEd source eventually, for such purposes.

Pretty cool, even if the maps themselves weren't really designed as sequences of ascii instructions. It's also a quite "lower" or "direct" map description than WadC, which can use quite complex functions to describe doom maps.

Hmm...I wonder if coding a fractal map in WadC would be possible, or writing complex functions that make prefabs like castles, extremely complex objects etc.

Add some randomization -> Super Slige ;-)

Listening to it right now, un13 specifically.

Speaking of which, un13 is a dead ringer for (I Hate) Everything About You, from Three Days Grace. It's a cover from the future!

Edit: un20 is a cover. Of what, I'm not sure, but I KNOW it's a cover.

Edit: Sh*t, maybe I should read the thread first. Zarkyb beat me to it.

Most of these are really great, and I was surprised by the aggression of the thrashy tracks (un09, un12, un16, and un18), which all sound like Slayer covers, probably from Reign in Blood and possibly Hell Awaits. The "funky" or "sour" sounding notes are the result of the limitations of midi guitar; there's weird chord structures that sound unlfattering on that kind of synthesizer, that sound "proper" on a real electric guitar. Additionally, slides and bends sound weird in midi format. Along with afermentioned tracks, un14, un20, un23, un41, un42, and un52 all would have made wonderful additions to the original games. I can't imagine why they were taken out.

GoatLord said:

Most of these are really great, and I was surprised by the aggression of the thrashy tracks (un09, un12, un16, and un18), which all sound like Slayer covers, probably from Reign in Blood and possibly Hell Awaits. The "funky" or "sour" sounding notes are the result of the limitations of midi guitar; there's weird chord structures that sound unlfattering on that kind of synthesizer, that sound "proper" on a real electric guitar. Additionally, slides and bends sound weird in midi format. Along with afermentioned tracks, un14, un20, un23, un41, un42, and un52 all would have made wonderful additions to the original games. I can't imagine why they were taken out.

un52 made it into Doom II, as D_SHAWN ("Shawn's Got The Shotgun"), but with the guitar changed to less resemble the song it's based on, "South of Heaven" by Slayer.

I assume un42, un41, and probably some of the others which might be covers that I don't recognize, weren't used because they wanted to have fewer obvious covers. Also because un41 is awkward as hell when it transitions from calm to rocky and back.

I like the most un39, that Very Short Orchestral Track. It sounds so mysterious and sentimental. I think tt should have been finished, and been set to the music of Fortress of Mystery, secret level of Shores of Hell.