Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

New (Old) Doom Tunes

John Romero of long pretty pony hair fame (as well as some sort of role on Doom, I forget) has posted a blog update talking about rooting through the Doom development data and coming up with a whole bunch of unused Doom MIDIs created by Bobby Prince back in the day. Says he:

There's a reason these weren't released - they're not very good, at least not as great as the music we actually shipped with the game. Some of the songs are just repetitive riffs.

So yeah, go listen or something.

un19 - alice in chains - dam that river (?)
un20 - alice in chains - man in the box
un23 - stone temple pilots - sex type thing
un31 - soundgarden - rusty cage
un45 - alice in chains - god smack

Un41's intro is Rooster by Alice in Chains. Actually, a lot of these are AIC ripoffs.

Well, I recognize a few of them, anyway:

un52 - "South of Heaven" by Slayer
un51 - "Walk" by Pantera
un18 - "Silent Scream" by Slayer
un17 - "Raining Blood" by Slayer

Like I said in the other thread, a number of them actually say what song they are based on in the MIDI title. TiMidity displays these (I don't know about other MIDI players, but in any case you can open the files in a text editor to see the title).

ok awesome, now i have to do more opl2 recordingness :(

but hey, the previous news story he interviewed Al Pacino, cool stuff :)

Well, he was certainly right when he said that they're not very good. Most of these are pretty terrible, in my opinion. It seems like the only ones that are even remotely decent are the ones that are complete ripoffs of other songs. Still, it's pretty interesting to see these.

The more clear ripoffs do seem more refined, but also less fitting in the game.

The intro track, which eventually became the music for Map30, seems rather long...

Maybe initially they were going to use that music for the whole intro loop, but eventually used a shorter one plus the tracks that go with the levels, in the demos.

I'm 100% certain that un31 and un32 are in Road Rash, un31 is even played during the opening video.

Edit:un32 is Sound Garden-Outshined

RTC_Marine said:
now should I bother figuring out the rest

Well, the one you did figure out has the name and band written on it.

un19 - Alice In Chains - We Die Young
un20 - Alice In Chains - Man in the Box
un21-f - Stone Temple Pilots - Dead and Bloated
un23 - Stone Temple Pilots - Sex Type Thing
un28 - Alice In Chains - Them Bones
un31 - Soundgarden - Rusty Cage
un32 - Soundgarden - Outshined
un36 - Soundgarden - Outshined
un37 - Soundgarden - Outshined
un39 - Alice In Chains - Rain When I Die
un41 - Alice In Chains - Rooster
un42 - Alice In Chains - JunkHead
un43 - Alice In Chains - Dirt
un44 - AC-DC - Big Gun
un45 - Alice In Chains - God Smack
un46 - Alice In Chains - Angry Chair
un48 - Slayer - Behind The Crooked Cross

According to the names of the first tracks of the songs listed. All the others are empty or "Created by Power Chords 1.0"

omg this is great. mediocre, ripoffs or not this is great!!

un15 sounds 'bto - let it ride'-ish, however it was later recycled for blake stone with the obvious 'led zeppelin - immigrant song' vocal track

I think I've heard a variation of un39 used for another game. I'm not sure if it was in MIDI for at Bobby's site or in MP3 format at the MP3.com page, nor what game it was for (could have been Duke3D, or some other).

myk said:

I think I've heard a variation of un39 used for another game. I'm not sure if it was in MIDI for at Bobby's site or in MP3 format at the MP3.com page, nor what game it was for (could have been Duke3D, or some other).

That sounds like a mixed version of another Doom track to me, not sure yet which though. EDIT: e1m9 - Military base. Well it's reminescent antwat.

Whoa, some of these are much heavier than the standard stuff.

i like un09. but it wouln't have fit well.

edit:oh, and un51 sounds like Walk by Pantera
editx2:un16 sounds like sod's Speak English or Die

The man loves is chromatic scales... and blatantly ripping off 80s thrash metal. No wonder these were scrapped, very predictable and boring.

Good stuff. I hope there's more of this precious material in Romero's archives waiting to be showed to the comunity.

Heh, this could fit nicely as the sound track for "The Lost Episodes of DOOM", or XDoom (that DOOM bible recreation that I didn't hear about in the last years).

This is one of the more intriguing news posts I've seen in a long time. The release of these midis is in the same vein of awesome as the release of the Doom alphas. Definitely deserves more attention.