Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
funduke

Vavoom Version 1.24 Released

The Vavoom makers celebrated the seventh birthday of their port on 14 June 2007, by releasing version 1.24.

It brings multiple enhancements to the VavoomC scripting language, adds support for sprites with 16 rotations, has internal blockmap builder, adds support for compressed GL-nodes and several other improvements and bug fixes.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone actually use Vavoom?

(And for the record, I'm not trying to start a flamewar or a huge debate over the merits and flaws of the various ports - I'm just interested in whether it's actually seeing any real use or not.)

Yes, there's people who use it. Korax Heritage for instance is made using the engine. And I've played a few really nice wads on it. It's a really under-appreciated engine IMO.

the 14th of july 07? did i fall into a coma for a month?

Ouch! Just tried to run it using the launcher without selecting any options (including IWAD - my bad) and it froze - creating a big black rectangle to the top left of my desktop, stole my mouse cursor - making it hard to figure out what I was doing, refused to shut down with a Ctrl-Alt-Del, kept re-stealing focus despite the fact it was apparently doing nothing and eventually, when I finally persuaded it to quit by shutting down and forcing an end-program, it left me with a 16 colour 640x480 desktop.

Bravely, I tried again (setting things up properly) and it seemed to work quite nicely. I'm just not a huge fan of how it looks or feels.

Schneelocke said:

Me

Vavoom is really powerful, it's just that too many are blind to make something awesome with it.

Vavoom's prog system is incredibly customizable which i am a big fan of. However, you need more than a few tutorial to familiarize yourself with it.

Problem is it has a few bugs (like what enjay experienced) that hinder it from being a solid port. I'm also not a big fan of how vavoom handles slopes.

Schneelocke said:

(And for the record, I'm not trying to start a flamewar or a huge debate over the merits and flaws of the various ports - I'm just interested in whether it's actually seeing any real use or not.)

I made about 4 projects using the Vavoom engine. Look at my homepage to check out some of my work.

I'm sure you could find a lot better hosting for that website of yours.

Sites that host Doom community sites from the top of my head:
Mancubus.net
Doomworld.com
DRDteam.org
Slipgate.org
despayre.org
Newdoom.com

Kristus is right, you really should move. Those bloody adverts are annoying.

I hope folk are not scared of doing vavoom stuff in case the zdoom zealots tear their work to shreds on the forums, like used to happen to legacy stuff so often

Plonker said:

I hope folk are not scared of doing vavoom stuff in case the zdoom zealots tear their work to shreds on the forums, like used to happen to legacy stuff so often

As if zdoom stuff never gets torn to shreds. ;)