Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ReX

Running wads with DS DooM

I got an email from someone who is trying to run wads with DS DooM (which, I understand, is a port for Nintendo). I read somewhere that the wads need to be PR BooM compatible, so I assumed that wads for vanilla DooM would work. But they do not. Any suggestions?

I guess someone could check the source code, if it's available, but otherwise it's going to be hard for anyone to give suggestions without even knowing the conditions or results of attempting to load a wad (error messages, commands used, and so on).

Is there a configuration file option for loading PWADs (either specific to DSDoom, or PrBoom itself)?

I've ran DSDoom (the first version at least), and I don't think there's any particular way to load WADs dynamically; it somewhat annoyed me by the fact that I can't even load different IWADs at will in the same directory.

MikeRS said:

Is there a configuration file option for loading PWADs (either specific to DSDoom, or PrBoom itself)?

Is there no way to launch it using anything resembling a command line? Assuming there isn't, then I see from here that it uses a cfg file. Assuming there is a way to edit that, you can see if it includes a wadfile_1 line. If so, add the name of the pwad you want to load in there.

No, you don't launch it from any CLI of sorts (unless somebody made one for NDS programs, I guess, but even then I doubt it could receive parameters from it), just whatever UI you have on the DS.

Editing the config file would be as simple as using a text editor when your CompactFlash card is mounted on your PC.

If the CFG editing doesn't work (and PWADs can't be loaded), the user could merge a PWAD with a copy of the corresponding IWAD using DeuTex or something like that, and play that. And awkward solution, but better than nothing.

Grazza said:

... cfg file ... If so, add the name of the pwad you want to load in there.

If this works, then there may also be a simpler way. I had forgotten that this option (in prboom(-plus) at any rate) is also available in the in-game menus, and is saved from there into the cfg.

If the menus are the same, then it is in the second page of Options - General. Just put the name of the wad in there, quit the program and then restart.

No idea. I'm not familiar with this hardware, and don't know what capabilities it has or doesn't have. Thought I'd mention it in case it has some rudimentary way to enter text, however clumsy.