Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kill6775

Tom and Jerry

Anyone still wacth that?Most of you are problry to old for it but i still enjoy it.I set my VCR back up so i could wactrh it

That's proper fucking telly, not this spongeomon or pokey squarepants crap the kids are into these days...

yes it did but DOOM ROCKS!!No one can beat the classics.Sorry about my bad english my fingers hurt like hell.I triped and nearly broke them so sorry. ^^(btw im using firefox)

Used to watch it when I was smaller, but I'd still say it looks better than most of those other cartoons that are on now.

I guess i never really noticed some of the harsh things that happened. (A cat getting run over by a bus? Ouch)

deathbringer said:

That's proper fucking telly, not this spongeomon or pokey squarepants crap the kids are into these days...

Spongebob is an awesome show

My dad was born in 41 so he grew up watching probably every cartoon and that was when they still ran as serials on the silver screen. Naturally I was raised on TV and had the privilege of growing up with these gems and still watch them today.

Mind you this was back in the VCR days and a hefty bulk of cartoons at those times were still in public domain and very easy to obtain. Hell I have a few 90 min tapes with 101 cartoons on them.

Those were the times....before parental censorship and political correctness... Now they are afraid to Show most Tom and Jerry cartoon because they are afraid that some one will be offended by the Black house keepers feat. And when they do show them they re-recorded her dialect so she no longer has the southern black accent.

Technician said:

Those were the times....before parental censorship and political correctness...

yeah, I know. I saw one episode of T&J that my little bro was watching and one of the gags involved them running in the back yard. jerry runs past a bird bath, but tom slams in to it, the bowl flys up, lands on his head, squishes him, and then he pops up with the bowl on his head and acts "chinese". obviously that was too offensive and they cut it at the point where the bowl squishes him.

this reminds me of a conversation I had with a friend the other day about another cartoon that I would love to see again. I forget the title, but it's a bulldog doing "the barber of seville" while a cat, using a stolen magic wand to screw with the dog, is conducting. there were a couple of point where he changed him to chinese and tribal african, along with making rabbits pop up on him and other things. it also had one of the greatest sight gags in a cartoon I can recall. I don't know if you guys remember how a hair would sometime get caught in the projector and dance around in the corner as the film rolled, well this toon had that hair and part way thru the bulldog stops singing, plucks it out, and tosses it away. I LOLed everytime I saw it. if anyone know this toon I would love to know that title.

OmegaJ4 said:

It's wierd. But Tom and Jerry seems funnier now that i'm older.

Probably because of the somewhat harsh violence and blatant racism. I'm a big fan of getting messed up, watching old cartoons and having a laugh.

VileSlay said:

this reminds me of a conversation I had with a friend the other day about another cartoon that I would love to see again. I forget the title, but it's a bulldog doing "the barber of seville" while a cat, using a stolen magic wand to screw with the dog, is conducting. there were a couple of point where he changed him to chinese and tribal african, along with making rabbits pop up on him and other things. it also had one of the greatest sight gags in a cartoon I can recall. I don't know if you guys remember how a hair would sometime get caught in the projector and dance around in the corner as the film rolled, well this toon had that hair and part way thru the bulldog stops singing, plucks it out, and tosses it away. I LOLed everytime I saw it. if anyone know this toon I would love to know that title.

Magical Maestro

I watched a few episodes but didn't watch it religiously.

Tom and Jerry and Looney Tunes seems much funnier now that I'm older.

Ichor said:
Magical Maestro

Indeed.

Would have thought of it sooner... What threw me off was the "Barber of Seville" part which got me thinking of the old Looney Tunes cartoon "Rabbit of Seville".

EDIT: A very funny sidenote (to me, anyway) is that the producer of the cartoon was called Fred Quimby. :-)

Oh yeah, i remember when i was young watching cartoons because "real people" shows bored me, but that was the only reason. Then when i was about 15 me and my cousin saw a Bugs Bunny where the redneck guy is ranting at him and bugs holds up a sign saying "he isnt very clever is he?" or something, we where rolling...

Heh, that was a neat cartoon. Yeah, the gag with the hair was great.

One of my favorite cartoons was this Looney Toons where this guy comes home to his wife and is complaining about about his day and wondering why dinner isn't done or something. So then the wife tells the husband about her horrible day and it ends with her clubbing him on the head with a rolling pin. Heh, an early example of feminism I guess.

The best part in it though is when she goes into a hair salon and parks her car at a parking meter. Then while she's in there these guys come by and replace the parking meter with a fire hydrant. So she comes out and a cop is writing her a ticket. She says "but officer, it wasn't there when I got here!" and the cop responds sarcastically "Oh sure, someone put it there just to annoy ya." I don't know why I always thought that was so funny.

I always liked T&J, I remember when the cartoon network was first on cable, it was great, but I can't stand the new cartoons nowadays. I don't even have the cartoon network programmed into my telly anymore.

Anyone old enough to remember the cartoons made during WW2? Bugs bunny blowing up Nazis and Japanese. They were all banned from broadcast in the early 80's I think, by MGM and Warner Brothers.
You can get them on Ebay in DVD boxed set though.

Funny, I used to associate Warner Brothers so strongly with Bugs Bunny, that to this day I am a little disappointed when their logo comes up at the start of a program and it just turns out to be some damned film instead of a cartoon.

And yeah, Quimby. That reminds me of a game of Rude Scrabble years ago, where the winning score was achieved with QUI_ on a triple word bonus.

To be honest, I've never liked Tom and Jerry. Every episode seems essentially the same. Cat chases mouse, mouse finds some way to mortally wound cat, laughtrack, the end. :\

Bugs Bunny, though, had lots of great cartoons.

I love 1990s and early 2000s cartoons as well, though. Things like Rocko's Modern Life, Invader Zim, Spongebob, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Dexter's Laboratory (pre-Ego Trip, at least), Futurama, Home Movies, etc. were most excellent.

:|

OmegaJ4 said:

It's wierd. But Tom and Jerry seems funnier now that i'm older.

Tango said:

Used to watch it when I was smaller, but I'd still say it looks better than most of those other cartoons that are on now.

Big reason here is that the cartoons weren't just made for kiddies, and in fact adults were a major part of the audience. You don't see enough of this anymore. It's either all for kids or all for adults. Except in certain cases, which is why The Simpsons is so successful.

leileilol said:

You sure they don't air on Boomerang?

Currently not un-edited. The version on there is the ones I spoke of. Edited and some dialogue re-recorded to remove any political incorrectness. Some of the cartoons on Boomerang also have allot of airbrushing to remove cigarettes and any "un-childish thing" But I always laughed at the fact that the kids are currently inhaling second hand smoke from their parents in the living room.

I believe these cartoons should be left un-edited and available as book ends for an era. I mean really it's historic.

As for most banned cartoons on the net, no. WB had a huge fiasco when some one uploaded "Coal Black and de seben drafts" on you tube and went on a killing spree removing all their "dirty secrets" and especially the tabooed "Censored eleven" which haven’t seen the light of day since 68"

Of course these cartoons are in public domain and can be found on old "and friends" VHS'.

thank you Ichor and Kristian! thats the one. I know that they would never air that in full again unless it was on turner classics. it sucks that "political correctness" has rendered some of the funniest cartoons stunted for fear of offending someone.