Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nick Perrin

Arachnotron Frames being doubled

Hey guys.
I'm curious - do the frames BSPIA1D1, BSPIB1E1 and BSPIC1F1 all exactly double for the D, E and F frames of BSPI? This must be the case, since those specific frames are nonexistent, but the rest of their angles exist.... in any case I've just learned something new about sprite naming.

Is there any change when they are reused for the D-F sprites (ie flipping, offsets, anything).
Thanks, any more info on sprite naming to define things like this would be awesome.

In a nutshell

For a sprite named SPRTaxby, when SPRT frame a rotation x is needed SPRTaxby is displayed and when SPRT frame b rotation y is needed, SPRTaxby is mirrored horizontally.

I've always wondered if there was an engine hack to make a "top" and "botton" rotation frame...

Since angles aren't calculated vertically in most Dooms, this is unlikely.

I think he means most Doom engine games, probably Hexen or something calculates them for some reason.

The Hellknight also has doubled frames when walking, which can be annoying if you are replacing it without really paying attention with a ripped pillar graphic from Duke Nukem and then watch it in game and notice the "light source" keeps shifting from side to side on a stationary object

It does not matter how you name a custom sprite. It does not matter how the original looked. You can use any rot combination you wish. For example, you can use BOS2A0B5, which simply means that frame A seen from everywhere is the same as flipped B seen from the back.

"Most Dooms" excludes 3d rendered variants, such as Doomsday, GlDoom, GlLegacy... Seen from above, monsters are made paper-thin, as watching a puppet theatre, quite weak I say. That's where pitch rots are advisable.

Hey guys thanks for the insights. I never realized Doom was capable of flipping the sprite like that... I think it was Ling who originally said "the engine never ceases to reveal its mysteries" or something like that. Good stuff.