Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lizardcommando

Doom Wad Station shutting down

Unfortunately, the Doom Wad Station will be shutting down soon due to lack of financial support and other things:

ON or just before July 1, 2007 this site will be down permanently. Due to lack of financial support and other obligations I will no longer be able maintain this site. Please enjoy what is here until that time. Thanks for a great nine year run.

So go download whatever you want over there before that time. RIP Doom Wad Station: May 25, 1998 - July 1(?), 2007

EDIT: Or not.

A unique site? I would hardly go that far. Only-positive reviews, half-baked ideas of what it means to be an archive mirror and other useless junk being run by a self-centered prick.

Mancubus II said:

A unique site? I would hardly go that far. Only-positive reviews, half-baked ideas of what it means to be an archive mirror and other useless junk being run by a self-centered prick.

I love you.

As much as it sucks that it's going down, I can't say I'm going to miss it. Most of the stuff he reviewed were old, and half the TCs on that site were just randomly generated slige level with sprites thrown in.

well, that sucks. doom2.net seems to be down (anyone know what happened to it?) so DWS is the only place to get the absolution TC.

dethtoll said:
doom2.net seems to be down

I'm pretty sure it's down temporarily. It's happened before.

As for this site, I don't think it's bad news. The hosted sites should be able to find other places, or at least upload their stuff somewhere, the host still has his own site and stuff (which is what should matter most to him) without the burden of the rest, and the controversial things, like the mishmash and slidge wads, are gone.

Mancubus II said:

Unique Creations, not unique site. The DWS has some wads that can't be found in any archives of on /idgames, thats what I liked about it.

It's certainly sad.

I've never used the site really, but the biggest shame is really the loss of all the hosted content, even if it may be a lot of crap.

I suggest someone download every last drop of wad there and soak up the non-crap into the /real/ idgames archive.

doom-wad-station had an idgames archive...I assume it is not the same as that found on cdrom.com...

ah, doom wad station. home of the very first wad i ever downloaded, doom7734. good times.

Mancubus II said:

Only-positive reviews

if wads were complete shit he wouldn't even bother to review him. he only reviewed stuff that was half decent, and was kind of a softy, so the reviews tended to be positive.

I'll miss DWS, its where I cut my baby-doomers teeth

this is IT guys... the long, enormous collapse of doom sites...

if such a large site like this could shut down... just imagine the downfall of doomworld at some point...

amnesia said:

if such a large site like this could shut down... just imagine the downfall of doomworld at some point...

You're totally right man, Doomworld is going to die any day now! RIP DOOMWORLD :(((

amnesia said:

Not quite following the rationale here. Just because one Doom site is closing down, it doesn't mean they all will. Sites close all the time, it's really not a huge drama. Also, websites and content can easily be moved to another host, so nothing needs to be lost if it's worth keeping.

Quickly!!!!
Archive the site someone with a ridiculously large hard drive!!!
I never used it yet somehow I am greatly depressed...

amnesia said:

I can hardly wait! Let's speed this shit up, already.

haha.

more than likely, one doom site will remain... i think doomworld will. planetdoom and newdoom suck