Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Making a wad co-op compatable?

I beleve i know this but just to be safe, what do i need to do to make a
wad playable for 2 players in singe player? Other than just adding a player start 2?

You might want to add more monsters and items to pick up (giving them a MultiPlayer only flag so they don't show up in single player mode).

Additionally, make sure that any sections that close up can be opened from earlier parts of the level, because if that is not the case and such a section closes, and the players die and have to respawn, they can't progress anymore.

The main thing other than player starts and extra items is just making sure you can't get stuck. Co-op plays differently in that you can't actually "lose". When you die, you just start back at the beginning.

This causes problems, for example, if you have a trap that prevents the player from exiting an arena until they've dealt with a certain threat. If the player(s) die during that challenge, or only one gets in before the trap is set off, you have to make sure that they can get in from the outside in order to continue the level.

If you have regular parts in the level where you block the player from retreating back, it might be wise to include teleporters to the current area the players are in. That way, any players who die and have to go back to the beginning can immediately jump back into the action. This also works for really large maps where it's frustrating to run all the way back to the rest of the players.

EDIT: myk beat me to it.

Be sure no vital areas of the map are blocked off:
- Closed doors should be allowed to be reopened from the player start side.
- Appropriate teleport lines should have the repeatable attribute.
- Lowered or raised platforms blocking a vital area should be reverted back in some fashion.

There should obviously be enough ammo for both players also.

Yes all of that is just common sense but what i wanted to know what is needed for co-op TO WORK with the wad, other that just adding a player start 2.

nothing,except maybe player starts 3 and 4 and,if you're using zdoom or a derivate of it (such as GZdoom and skulltag) player starts 5 to 8.

farhaven said:

nothing,except maybe player starts 3 and 4 and,if you're using zdoom or a derivate of it (such as GZdoom and skulltag) player starts 5 to 8.

Ah! Thats good to know. I will do my best to make my project co-op friendly!

hardcore_gamer said:

Yes all of that is just common sense...

It may be common sense, but it's often much harder to do than you might think.

Its always best to have 4 players starts, not just 2 player starts. I always put 4 player starts in my seriously attempted levels and at least 4 DM starts. With 4 player starts you can still play 2 players, but even 3 or 4.

pcorf said:

Its always best to have 4 players starts, not just 2 player starts. I always put 4 player starts in my seriously attempted levels and at least 4 DM starts. With 4 player starts you can still play 2 players, but even 3 or 4.

But a wad designed for 2 players would not work well with 4, not enough ammo and health, and if designed for 4 players then the ammo and health is to high for 2 players.

You should at least put the other two starts in the map in case someone wants to play it with more than two. That doesn't mean to have to balance it for all four.

RoneKyakone said:

You should at least put the other two starts in the map in case someone wants to play it with more than two. That doesn't mean to have to balance it for all four.

Good enough for me.