Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

How can i use new monsters with doom builder?

So i just picked up the monster resource wad.
How do i get the new monsters to show up in the editor? (I am using Doom builder) and do the monsters only work with zdoom? Couse i would like to
them to work with plain Doom format.

They are ZDoom only, though if someone pulled off the Afrit in vanilla they would be my hero.

They should show up in the DECORATE item submenu if you are using one of the ZDoom configurations I think.

Lamneth said:

They are ZDoom only, though if someone pulled off the Afrit in vanilla they would be my hero.

They should show up in the DECORATE item submenu if you are using one of the ZDoom configurations I think.

Where do i have to put the files to make the monsters show up in the DECORATE item submenu? Can't the monsters be used with skulltag to?

If you edit the codes for the ST monsters, then yes, but otherwise if Belphegor, Abaddon, Cacolantern, Hectebus and Blood Demon are on the pack, then change original code or the monster pack code or else you can't play your wad...

<edit> The Decorate sub should be there when you have custom monsters.

Mithral_Demon said:

If you edit the codes for the ST monsters, then yes, but otherwise if Belphegor, Abaddon, Cacolantern, Hectebus and Blood Demon are on the pack, then change original code or the monster pack code or else you can't play your wad...

<edit> The Decorate sub should be there when you have custom monsters.

ok, but people are yet to tell my WHERE to put the damn monster wad files for them to work! I have tryed some stuff and none of it has worked:(

hardcore_gamer said:

ok, but people are yet to tell my WHERE to put the damn monster wad files for them to work! I have tryed some stuff and none of it has worked:(

...merge to your own wad, perhaps?

Jodwin said:

...merge to your own wad, perhaps?

I mean how to make them show up in the map editor. Choosing the wad as a extra flat wad at the start does not work (monsters are not flats after all).

...obviously you don't need to choose it at all when you've merged it into your own wad with XWE/something similar.

Jodwin said:

...obviously you don't need to choose it at all when you've merged it into your own wad with XWE/something similar.

That ain't true, last time i checked you do have to place the monsters into your level in order for them to be there, if this is not the case then tell my. I don't beleve that these monsters just replace the old ones but are brand new.

When i say APPEAR in the editor i mean the ability to place them into your levels.

Yes of course you place the new monsters in the editor the same way you do the regular ones. They just show up in a different part of the 'edit thing selection' menu if you have Doom Builder set up for editing ZDoom. If your trying to use the Cacolantern, like I just checked out, it appears in the 'health' menu beneath the ZDoom menu. I was wondering where the hell it was myself..... O_o

Doom Dude said:

Yes of course you place the new monsters in the editor the same way you do the regular ones. They just show up in a different part of the 'edit thing selection' menu if you have Doom Builder set up for editing ZDoom. If your trying to use the Cacolantern, like I just checked out, it appears in the 'health' menu beneath the ZDoom menu. I was wondering where the hell it was myself..... O_o

When i look for the new monsters i can't find any in the editor. I have never placed a custom monster on a level before (other than those that come with skulltag) so i don't know how. Can anyone give a step by step
guide how to do that? I have the wad files that the monsters are in, now
what do i do with them?

hardcore_gamer said:

That ain't true, last time i checked you do have to place the monsters into your level in order for them to be there, if this is not the case then tell my. I don't beleve that these monsters just replace the old ones but are brand new.

When i say APPEAR in the editor i mean the ability to place them into your levels.

Oh Jesus Christ, do you even know what wad merging means? It means taking the files (in this case, mostly decorate lumps, sprites and audio) from the monster resource wad and adding them to your own wad so that you don't need to load the monster resource wad separately into ZDoom/Doom Builder/etc because the files are already in your own wad.

Got that? Or is it still going over your head?

Then when you've merged the monsters into your own wad, open that wad in Doom Builder using one of those nice ZDoom specific configs. When adding a new thing, the treeview in the thing properties dialog should have a new part in the bottom called "DECORATE." If it doesn't, you screwed up the merging part (which is a mean feat). If it does show up, you'll find your new, blatantly ripped monsters right there.

I remember ages ago getting extremely bored one day and replacing a load of monsters in THE deus vult level (map 5, the big one) so that all monsters were variations of imp or baron. Yes it did take friggin' ages and yes I know I'm sad but using Doombuilder...
I think I just loaded Deus Vult Map 5, then where it says "Additional Textures and Flats from WAD file" just put in the location of the Monster Resource Wad.
Then when putting in a Thing the monsters were divided between the "Health" and "DECORATE" sections and voila.
The monsters are all there but they appear in the editor as grey circles (which I remember means something like Doom Builder doesn't actually know what they are). When you load up the level though the monsters were there and they worked.

Any DECORATE thing you create (Which you can't make in Doom Builder) will appear under DECORATE in the things list, unless you specify what category you want it to be under.

Alternatively you could place an Imp or something, then edit it's thing number to the number of the custom monster you want (which will be in the DECORATE code and should really be in the text file of the wad the monster came with too)

Lamneth said:

Doesn't Scythe 2 have a dehacked version of the Afrit?