Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DJShrimpy

Wad refuses to load in vanilla/Doom95

Alright, my wad is refusing to load with vanilla/Doom95, and the map format is plain Doom, so no ZDoom/whatever features are used. I go to Doom95 to load it up, and all is going well until it decides to fuck me with:

I had no idea what the fuck a "GSTFONT2@" was, so I sent the wad to a friend to try it out in vanilla, and he got the same error. Ran the error checker in Doom Builder and there some overlapping objects but that's it.

Suggestions? :(

GSTFONT2 is that green marble texture with the blood pouring out. Not sure why a patch in it would be missing, unless you've been changing stuff in a lump editor.

That @ isn't supposed to be there. Is this a wad you're making? The editor (or some tool) may have corrupted it a bit.

from the console messages,one can see that your iwad is the one of dooms shareware version. As Doom95 is a commercial Doom Sourceport,it's authors (some Microsoft dudes in this case) would not allow pwads to be played with the shareware version of doom,so that's were your problem lies.

I assumed that you want to play a custom wad with doom,is that right?

EDIT: Damn,I just saw it says "Not Shareware" -> me dumb :)
EDIT2: Is the pwad for Doom1 or Doom2?

The IWAD is full Ultimate Doom, the map is for E1M1. I don't see how a friggin pwad is going to currupt a texture. The error just seems really random.

DJShrimpy said:
I don't see how a friggin pwad is going to currupt a texture.

The texture used is just a name associated to a line, that then references the TEXTUREx list, so it likely says GSTFONT2@ instead of GSTFONT2 for some sidedef(s). If this is the case, you'll be able to see the error(s) on the SIDEDEFS list lump for the level, if you open the wad with XWE or a similar wad browser. You can edit that list so you should be able to fix any such errors there.

DoomBuilder did this to me back when I was working on Jägermörder 2. It couldn't search for the lindef texture due to the non-standard ASCII characters (i.e., not 0-9, a-z, A-Z, _). I used XWE's lump editor to fix it.

Edit: Ok, I'm still not getting this. I just searched through the SIDEDEFS lump, four times, and did not spot a GSTFONT2@, and Doom Builder did not find GSTFONT2 or GSTFONT2@ anywhere in my map.

Do you mind posting the WAD in question?

Also FYI: You might consider trying Chocolate Doom (use the SVN build though, 0.1.4 is very outdated) to test if your WADs are compatible with vanilla Doom. You can be more certain with Chocolate than you can be with Doom95 :p

DJShrimpy said:

Edit: Ok, I'm still not getting this. I just searched through the SIDEDEFS lump, four times, and did not spot a GSTFONT2@, and Doom Builder did not find GSTFONT2 or GSTFONT2@ anywhere in my map.

The problem is not in your map. Your wad must have new textures in it, and the problem is there. If you didn't add any new textures, then open the WAD with XWE or WinTex and make sure it has no lumps called PNAMES, TEXTURE1 or TEXTURE2.

Yes, I am using custom textures. When running the wad in Chocolate I got "[...Error: W_CacheLumpNum 1346981970 >= numlumps"

The pwad is here, as you requested.

Ok, I renamed the top entry to AASTINKY and I'm getting the same error, except it can't find "GSTGARG". I also tried AASHITTY and I get the same thing.

Edit: Now I'm just screwing with the patches and TEXTURE1 and I always end up getting an error for a missing patch, specifically one in the iwad.

Right, thanks for the support esself. Apparently vanilla Doom pwads won't run correctly unless all the flats from the iwad are placed in the pwad, for some reason. Custom flats apparently don't like vanilla, so I ended up having to replace them over iwad flats. It loads in Chocolate as well. The lesson to be learned here is that Doom 95 is a piece of shit.

DJShrimpy said:
Apparently vanilla Doom pwads won't run correctly unless all the flats from the iwad are placed in the pwad, for some reason.

Use FF_START and F_END as the flat markers and they'll work off the bat.

myk said:

Use FF_START and F_END as the flat markers and they'll work off the bat.

:O

Good to know. I tried helping him earlier but I did not know this part :(