Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lord FlatHead

More Trent Reznor rumours

Let me pull a Dima here by quoting and linking to the following page : http://www.macworld.com/2002/02/macbeat/reznor.html

And here's the quote from the Man himself :

Reznor: I've been discussing things with Id Software for Doom III. It's not formalized at this point, but it's something I really want to do. When I did Quake, we were still questioning if the audio was going to be streamed off of CD, which if it wasn't was incredibly limiting. But with as interactive as things are now, and as immersive as the engine they've been working on is graphically, and some of the program is so moody; it's like scoring a film. Yet it's much more intense than a film because it doesn't always go the same way, it has to be interactive. Plus the mood of the game is so dark and evil, it's interesting to me.

*whimper*

Bah.

I'm certain ID would find some real soundtrackers if they just looked.

Hopefully that's why it's not finalized yet: they're still looking.

Then again, if ID pays a shitload for Reznor to get some real producers and performers, it could be decent.

SOundtrack? We don't need no stinking soundtrack! Ambience is the way to go, especially with a game pushing realism as Doom 3 appears to be.

stop worrying about reznor, you can always turn the music off and listen to gunfire and growling demons, which is music in it's own right:)

Ambience is the way to go, especially with a game pushing realism as Doom 3 appears to be.

No, they just need a better method of incorporating music into the game that goes beyond a background track playing.

Heh. That would could be sweet, but most ambient things Reznor does tend to suck. Quake, Pigface, Tapeworm. All lame.

Reznor: I was also using a Commodore 64 for MIDI.

ROFL...I used to have one of those POSs.

Reznor will do a good Job, as he did with Q1.
The Music WAS dark and so it will be in Doom 3!

If he goes with that same "Monotoneous-boring-artificial-humming-whispering-rubbish" then I'll be seriously pissed (note: This is a gross understatement!).

Most of Q1's music didn't even sound scary - sounded way too artificial.
Nah, I'd prefer some orchestral music - either that or something with really cool sounds (like e.g. a deep mettalic clanking sound a la Terminator 2) and NO, Q1 did *not* have cool sounds imho.

No music in Doom 3???
DELETED (greetings to dsm ;))

Uhmm...a good athmosphere also can be created by ambient sounds. Ambient sound coul'd also mean some kind of music. There are enough films making a scary athmosphere only with some strange noises in the background.
I got the 'music idea' more like something "play the song and repeat it"
Intelligent use of ambient noises would be much better in my opinion. Remember Quake 3, they're playing some kind of music at different locations, I don't think something like that would be wrong...
IF there is music, it should be no song that you want to hear when you're not playing Doom because it should only fit to the specific map in Doom. Otherwise it misses its goal.
Sorry if I hurt your personal feelings dsm, but its just MY opinion !

The only two things I hate about Reznor/NiN:

1. Trent Reznor's horrible voice.
Well, I guess he won't "sing" anything if it's a game soundtrack, so the worst bit is automatically gone there :)

2. Constant background noises that cause headache.
Used as "ambient sounds", why not? But they better not be constant then.

I can't really see why Reznor would be a bad choice, THOUGH there are definitely people who could do it better.

Uhmm...a good athmosphere also can be created by ambient sounds. Ambient sound coul'd also mean some kind of music. There are enough films making a scary athmosphere only with some strange noises in the background.
I got the 'music idea' more like something "play the song and repeat it"
Intelligent use of ambient noises would be much better in my opinion. Remember Quake 3, they're playing some kind of music at different locations, I don't think something like that would be wrong...
IF there is music, it should be no song that you want to hear when you're not playing Doom because it should only fit to the specific map in Doom. Otherwise it misses its goal.
Sorry if I hurt your personal feelings dsm, but its just MY opinion !

You know, I ought to give you an apology for reacting so aggresively. Guess I was having one of my fits again. Anyway, yes I believe you're right that intelligent use of sounds could do the trick. It's just that I've come to love games with good music - it does SO much to add to the game imo. But for those of you who don't want to listen to music while playing, there IS some sort of "turn off music" option in all of Id's games and I can't see why there wouldn't be such an option in Doom 3.

Anyway, I'll apologize for my bad behavior and delete my aggresive post.

I can't really see why Reznor would be a bad choice, THOUGH there are definitely people who could do it better.

He'll probably not seem like a bad choice to those who liked Quake 1's soundtrack.
I thought that Q1's soundtrack was the worst game soundtrack I had ever heard, and seeing as Q1 has a very demonic theme, like Doom, and as it's the only game soundtrack done by Reznor which I've heard, I just can't help worrying that he'll turn the new Doom's soundtrack into something "abominable".
It also bothers me that Id have announced that the music will only be ambient.

Granted, ambient music has to be in focus for such a scary game and ambient music, when done right, can really sound cool, but it'll get repetitive if all music tracks are ambient. The old Doom had a nice variety of music, so the most "true-to-Doom" soundtrack would be one with mostly ambient, but with a few metal/industrial(/other genre) tracks as well.
Well, maybe the good Mr. Reznor will surprise me positively, but I must say that I have my doubts.

These are my opinions on the matter.

But for those of you who don't want to listen to music while playing, there IS some sort of "turn off music" option in all of Id's games and I can't see why there wouldn't be such an option in Doom 3.

That's right, there would be such an option, but I don't think that there could be both : good music AND good ambient sounds.
I think if there is music, ambience would be a bit too secondary....

Anyway, I'll apologize for my bad behavior and delete my aggresive post.

Thanks :). The last that I wanted is to think that you suck !

That's right, there would be such an option, but I don't think that there could be both : good music AND good ambient sounds.
I think if there is music, ambience would be a bit too secondary....

Hmm, there's something about that.
Maybe they could make the music stop on occasion and have some good ambient sounds as well.
I'm all for ambient sounds, but I'd hate if the music was left out, so the best solution would be some sort of "middle-way" - as long as it isn't like Half-Life.

If you ask me, RtCW was done well, although scare-factor wasn't that much into focus. It has good ambient sounds some of the places (although there could've been a lot more) and good, varied music (ranging from scary ambient to adrenaline-pumping music).

I'm all for ambient sounds, but I'd hate if the music was left out, so the best solution would be some sort of "middle-way"

I agree...

If you ask me, RtCW was done well, although scare-factor wasn't that much into focus. It has good ambient sounds some of the places (although there could've been a lot more) and good, varied music (ranging from scary ambient to adrenaline-pumping music).

Hmm, haven't played it yet. I should do that...

Hmm, haven't played it yet. I should do that...

It's mostly in the crypt levels and towards the end of the game (the x-labs might also be interesting in this aspect as well). The rest of the game isn't in the least geared towards scary, ambient sounds.

I like the sounds that the undead typically make before they burst through the floor/walls.

Quake's soundtrack was supposed to be alien, not scary. Quake was more about alternate dimensions, not a bad replica of "Hell".

The one thing I hated about the Quake soundtrack was that Reznor would carry one sound for over a minute, which can get genuinely annoying.

The one thing I hated about the Quake soundtrack was that Reznor would carry one sound for over a minute, which can get genuinely annoying.

That's excactly why I hated the Quake soundtrack so much!
That and the really weird artificial sounds in the music.

That's excactly why I hated the Quake soundtrack so much!
That and the really weird artificial sounds in the music.

A matter of tastes then.

I liked the Quake soundtrack. It was awful like a nightmare. It suited the game perfectly.

I liked the Quake soundtrack. It was awful like a nightmare. It suited the game perfectly.

I admit the music was somehow "fitting" to the gloomy, brown environment, but that was the only good thing I could find about it. I've tried to listen carefully to the soundtrack and attempt to "appreciate" it, but I just find it utterly impossible to enjoy.

You're right, it's a matter of taste. I used to prefer metal music (I still love metal music, provided that it's done well), but I've begun to appreciate good ambient music (The best I've heard so far is in RtCW's crypt level, when the music changes to the very spooky music track).

Anyway, I hope that the "Reznorites" are right when they say that Trent Reznor'll surprise us doubters and provide a good Hellish soundtrack. (I'd prefer a few metal tracks fitted into the game as well, but that won't happen)

I've never found a good reason to judge persons based in their past records in the gaming industry. Developers and companies make hits and flops continually.

THe Quake sountrack was like the visual aspect of Quake: Cool at first, but it can get annoying after a while.

On that note, my friend and I are starting an industrial band. He says he wants to do some ambient stuff. Oh well...

I dont mean to get off topic, but what IS excactly industrial music? What makes it different from metal?

Industrial uses a lot of computer effects...use these bands as reference:
Nine Inch Nails
Skinny Puppy
Ohgr
Pigface
Tapeworm
KMFDM
MDFMK

Reznor: I've been discussing things with Id Software for Doom III. It's not formalized at this point,

The McWorld Demo was about a year ago. One year later Id is still negotiating the music / sound effects / soundtrack. I can understand that the sound is one of the latest stuff to implement because the music creator needs to know, what kind of action he has to emphasis.

So, I guess Doom3 wil be released before christmas 2002

So, I guess Doom3 wil be released before christmas 2002

As far as I know, Doom is still in the research and planning phase. Seems to me that it'll still be a ways off. I doubt that it'll be released before halfway through 2003.