Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Is SNES doom bad?

SNES Doom is by far the greatest console port so far, unlike most other versions it includes all the weapons and monsters.

DJShrimpy said:

SNES Doom is by far the greatest console port so far, unlike most other versions it includes all the weapons and monsters.

Then i wander why the guy said it was awful. I hope it will drop on the wii shop channel soon. Well unless those idiots from nitendo decide not to :(

I played it a lot, but now I know that its low resolution, about 15 frames a second(maybe), no floor or ceiling textures etc. But as someone said the music kicked ass. I had fun with it.

DJShrimpy said:

I forgot to mention that id Software publicly claimed that they are not supporting the Wii, so sorry.

Support it? Its not like it would be TO hard to put the thing on the wii shop channel, i mean, They did put Doom on xbox live.

SNES Doom is good if you consider the system its on and the hardware limitations.

The music is indeed great, too.

I remember borrowing my cousin's SNES and renting Doom from EB for 3 days. We where very hyped about having Doom "in our own home to play when we want!", for 3 days. Because my friend had it on his PC otherwise, and he had no soundcard (when he did get one i was a bit dissapointed). After this we finally got PSX Doom, which has cool sounds but the music is... well, awesome but not really music as such.

PS-Anybody think SNES E1M1 sounded a little like PC E1M9? I have E1M9 mp3 version on my ipod but if anyone knows where to get SNES E1M1 i'd like to make a comparison...

Oh yeah, if i remember rightly you have to play on UV to play the whole game, as Skill 1 ends at the end of episode 1 and Skill 2 and 3 end on episode 2. I also seem to recall my brother saying there was a cheat where if you got full ammo for one weapon, used it all up, auto switched to the pistol and fired a shot you'd get the next weapon up. IE use up all your shells, fire the pistol and get the chaingun. But i suspect this to be BS...

Oh, and also apparently the Cyberdemon is rather more difficult and fires rockets at the speed of chaingun bullets, and has a melee attack too

It was kinda horrid, it put fun on Doom to shame...Doom 64 was better then Snes Doom anyway...The Cyber Demon had a melee attack? I didn't relise that on Snes, but if the cyberdemon on Doom for Pc had a melee, would make it interesting.

Mithral_Demon said:

...Doom 64 was better then Snes Doom anyway...

Doom 64 is a completely different game on a completely different system. Comparing it to a port of the original version of Doom to a system not designed for the new genre of FPS games, also on hardware released a year or two prior to Doom's release, is pointless.

DJShrimpy said:

I forgot to mention that id Software publicly claimed that they are not supporting the Wii, so sorry.

What are you talking about? Just a couple months ago they talked about putting one of their "brands" on the system.

And if they don't...
I already thought of how the controls for wii-doom would go!!! (zdoom-> wii) And with the SD slot, it would have support for PWADS!!!! YAY!!!!

Nevertheless, SNES doom reminded me of wolfenstein 3D.

I have played it, and I would say it is pretty bad. If you're looking for a console port of Doom, download the Xbox Live version. It has better graphics, and online multiplayer.

SNES Doom is like a very simplified version of its true self along with some previously mentioned flaws and an annoying splash damage bug.

The music makes up for most of this some if you don't mind some choppiness due to engine latency and some instrument channels cutting off (and staying off) if there is a lot of sound channel usage.

i think the usual horrible samples that Sculptured Software uses in all their SNES games put me on the edge more than anything in SNES doom

SNES doom isn't too bad for a port for a common popular system back then, however it arrived a bit too late

DJShrimpy said:

No spectre.

I will probably just buy Doom3 collectors edition for my xbox 360. It comes with Doom1 and Doom2 AND has a slit-screen co-op mode i think.

hardcore_gamer said:

I will probably just buy Doom3 collectors edition for my xbox 360. It comes with Doom1 and Doom2 AND has a slit-screen co-op mode i think.

I have the Collecter's edition, and I play the Co-Op sometimes with my friend. It's pretty fun.

Da_Shankster said:

I have the Collecter's edition, and I play the Co-Op sometimes with my friend. It's pretty fun.

I mean i heard there is a co-op mode for Doom1 and Doom2, is that true?

doom2day said:

Vanilla Doom? Or SNES Doom?

Personally, SNES doom was better than 2600 Doom.

It's certainly better than Tiger Handheld Doom.

I remember I used to play Doom (the original DOS versions on my cousins PC). Then my dad got Ultimate Doom when I was in Elementary School) but being a kid I never really could tell the difference (except I knew there was the Doom95 launcher but I just took that into stride as being Doom). I never had any consoles though but my two best friends at the time (they were twins) had an SNES and we would play Donkey Kong and Star Wars games and stuff, and then, lo and behold they also had Doom. And I totally forget about that until someone brings up SNES Doom, but I used to play it as a kid sometimes at friends houses. Let me put it this way, I could never tell the difference as a young kid, although the differences were no doubt there.

doom2day said:

Vanilla Doom? Or SNES Doom?

Personally, SNES doom was better than 2600 Doom.

I mean the copy's that come with The collectors edition of Doom3 for the xbox.

Da_Shankster said:

hardcore_gamer said:
I mean i heard there is a co-op mode for Doom1 and Doom2, is that true?

That one comes with up to 4-player (splitscreen) co-op/deathmatch. With Doom 3 co-op you need a seperate Xbox/TV.

If you call the 2600 hoax a "Doom version", you certainly should mention the C64 version as well, which in contrary to the Atari version actually exists:

Eventhough it looks more like a rather low resolution Wolfenstein engine, it's still quite impressive seeing this on a plain C64. (For you younger guys: The C64 has merely 64kB RAM, 1 MHz CPU and 16 hardcoded colors)

SNES Doom doesn't hold a candle to the PC version, but I had fun playing it, unlike the Wolfenstein 3D port to SNES, which had no redeeming qualities at all. I never did get to play the Playstation port of Doom though.