Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MegaZzZeux

"I Give Up on Trying to Map 1" by MegaZzZeux (Finished!)

Why hello there! I just decided to make this topic because I am working on a wad, which I hope to finish. The name of this wad comes from the fact that I have not finished a Doom level since mid-2004, So it's been about 3 years since I have. I have started at least 50+ other wads, and just think they suck, or think everyone else will just say they suck, and never finished them...

Well here it is, first map in 3 years:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AHVWCPRB

EDIT: Here are some pictures of the level.

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/3807/igivup1ya4.png

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/2059/igiveup2ll4.png

http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/369/igiveup3tm6.png

50+ maps thats alot I hope you didn't delete them cause that would be an waste and I think there should be an couple maps inbetween those which can be fun and look good.

Take the first half of one of those unfinished ones, take the first half of the other, rotate it, replace the "entrance" door with an exit switch, remove the other player start, join, release.

Oh you might wanna even out the textures in DB3D, and put some tough monsters towards the new "end"

50? I must have 500 unfinished, crappy wads. More power to you if you finish this.

You won't reach perfection on map #1. Make a map, complete it, release it, make the next one better. You'll likely get some constructive feedback as well.

And yeah, I actually lost most of the ones I did have, because most were made before I had my own laptop, so my brother decided to delete most of them. I do have like 10 or so still.

Well, the pictures are up on my first post, so feel free to take a look.

Very nice work with the borders/trims you put in there on the floors and walls. Make sure you stick some lights in there and I think you'll have a fine wad.

Hey thanks.

...and yeah, I got like 2 lights so far, and I'll be adding a lot more along the line. Still thanks for the feedback!

Why not just post the actual wad/ can't tell much from pictures. I think the best general design rule, based on observing my favorite levels, is basically making seperate areas that are mostly relatively large and relatively circular (with any number of different ideas based on this basic loose rule) (because enemy AI is simply 'head directly toward the player' and a large area maximizes everyone aiming at you). Thin little mazes makes for linear gameplay. Also monsters fighting other monsters needs to be accounted for as part of the necessary carnage. And rooms should maybe be forced to enter multiple times (ie have to exit room a and b to get key in room c but have to return to a to use key on blue door, so if you run by some monsters they'll still be there.) I suck at making levels so far though and focus on weird intricate stuff.

Heh, trust me... I'll upload my wad when it is finished. I just think posting the pictures here and stuff will actually encourage me to finish it.

That's interesting stuff from what I see in the screenshots! :) Keep up the good work! ;)

Well, if you call like 3 rooms enough for an exit. . .

EDITed: And anyways... doubt I'll end up getting this done anytime soon, even though it will be like a 2-Minute-Walk-Through-Wad.

I have a tendency to make long complex levels. I meant to make an episode of 'short' levels for boom (ultimate doom), and for level 3, I ended up with 6 danged keys!!!! never mind the yet to be completed level 4 which makes level 3 look small...
If this fails, try to remake a doom2/doom map.
EDIT

MegaZzZeux said:

Well, if you call like 3 rooms enough for an exit. . .

And anyways, I will have this wad done tomorrow probably. It really IS short as hell, but oh well.

Oh...
Well if your city/town/village is obliterated in the meantime...

Heh. Well yeah, I was actually tryin to do my own rendition of E2M3... but then I just shoved it aside.

With my "IGIVEUP.wad"... I just need to get something out, so don't try to have some high expectations of it.

What's sad is that I am actually working long and hard on a level that in all honesty has terrible game play, not that great looking, and will be ridiculously short... but I am still gonna finish it.

MegaZzZeux said:

What's sad is that I am actually working long and hard on a level that in all honesty has terrible game play, not that great looking, and will be ridiculously short... but I am still gonna finish it.

Welcome to my world. :D Well, sort of.

MegaZzZeux said:

Eh, Spork... Your stuff is good.

So is yours, so shut up. :P

AgentSpork said:

MegaZzZeux said:

Eh, Spork... Your stuff is good.

So is yours, so shut up. :P

QFT and for Great Justice! :)

Your screens look fine to me I know the feeling when you play maps from other authors and then you start to dislike your own work.

Well thanks. But yeah, I seem to have the most negative view of anything I do/am. Trust me, My attitude is not just about my Doom levels.

This level is really taking me too long for a sub-par level that will last about 2-3 minutes MAX... But oh well. Getting to the 90-95% mark so far.