Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ironmugen

Project DOOM: Bio Hazard

(Skip that part if you are not interested in my life :P)

Well, 10 years ago I had those programs to create maps for DOOM... I tried but never got something decent... Duke Nukem 3D 's Build was easier to use.

Around 1 year ago, I got that JDoom with 3D models, I thought it was cool, but I got bored, and returned to my 2D-fighting game engine.

Not so long ago I decided to search for some videos of peoples playing in Nightmare mode, I thought it MUST exist, that's how I discovered the speedruns. Then in searching I discovered DOOM Legacy (even though it's "old"), and CopeImp Doom builder, which reminds me a lot Duke Nukem 3D 's build.

========

Anyway, since I finally "can" make maps for DOOM, I'm starting a project of 32 levels for DOOM2: "project DOOM: Bio Hazard". For now I have 6 maps done, but I'm still a beginner, plus I'm not using the awesome stuff that Legacy allow us to create (2 floors).

Anyway, the maps are inspired from the Capcom game "Resident Evil" (or Bio Hazard in Japan). I won't make the levels as hard as the Plutonia Experiment, but I'll try my best to create some challenging maps, and interesting multiplayer stuff too.

If you guys are interested to follow and/or beta test my maps, you are welcome. I have 2 testers, but they are friends, and not really DOOM-experts (one of them never plays in Ultra Violence).

By the way, I'd like to know how to take screenshots using Legacy without using the console (and without HAVING the console in the screens).

-sorry for the long and crappy text, I had to introduce myself =P-

Screenshots are usually taken with the "Print Screen" Key (next to F12), or at least in other ports. Check your options to see what key it is assigned to.

And this seems interesting. I look forward to seeing what you can do.

Ah! Thanks a lot, it worked fine in ZDOOM.
Too bad it looks darker than in Legacy (without those light effects).

Anyway, let me introduce the 6 finished maps followed with one or more screens:

MAP01: Forest
That's where everything begins. Not an actual in-game place in Resident Evil, since it was only in the intro, but I thought it would be cool to have it as "map1".

Don't underestimate this short level. You can get extra holes without knowing from where it came from.

MAP02: Entering the mansion
Wesker said "Wow what a mansion", later Jill said "something is wrong in this house". This 2nd map only shows approximatively the left part of the mansion of Resident Evil (just that part is big enough to make a level).

The hall
The infamous "meet the first zombie" scene was a zombie eating "Kenneth". Here it's just an Imp.

MAP03: Searching for an exit
In the game, you have to search for a backdoor somewhere, because the forest is too dangerous. Here is the right part of the mansion... More or less.

Pick the Super Shotgun and get a surprise. One of my friend didn't know that and transformed into a sandwish when he first tried the level.
No Giant Snake in DOOM, but instead, a good load of Baron of Hell and Hell Knights.
The pictures riddle room becamse the land of the switchs. Dare to press the wrong one and kill some monsters.

MAP04: Garden
The garden alone was too small to be a full map, so I borrowed parts of the Gamecube remake of Resident Evil to make it better (since I'm mostly inspiring myself from the PSX version).

Poor Lisa Trevor had to live in "this" before becoming a mutant monster.

MAP05: Guardhouse
Well, the guardhouse includes the -1 floor too, nothing from Gamecube this time. Also, the boss was replaced into a Spiderdemon.

Entrance of the house.
One of those 3 bedrooms.

MAP06: Cave
At the end of Map05, you go back to the garden, but the water-wall is gone and allows you to go to the cave. Like the garden, it was too small, so I borrowed the -1 floor or the Gamecube version (used as a teleport location in DOOM).

Follow the blood.
And find "Enrico" killed by a Baron... What?
The Giant Spider in Resident Evil didn't have a Chaingun at least.
A place borrowed from the Gamecube game.
The last exit... Until I make map07~32. There, you will go into the labs.

Tomorrow, I'll shall make map07, and I will upload the beta. I'm tired now, good night all. :P

DO NOT START BY MAKING A MEGAWAD. Please, do yourself a favor and just make a small mapset. You can spend more time on the levels and you don't need to feel like you have to cram 32 levels into a wad. Quality over Quantity.

If you know how, you should change the sky in the first shot to a starry night so that it makes sense for a open sky to be above it.

Scuba Steve said:

DO NOT START BY MAKING A MEGAWAD. Please, do yourself a favor and just make a small mapset. You can spend more time on the levels and you don't need to feel like you have to cram 32 levels into a wad. Quality over Quantity.

Listen to Scuba. He is a very wise man. 7 maps is a good number if you want to do a single episode set for Doom2, or you could just do one or two, or whatever. Everyone would much rather play one single perfect map than 32 mediocre ones. ;)

Thanks for your attention guys. ^^

Scuba Steve: Yeah, I know, but I'm already used to creations. :P In the 2D-fighting game engine, I was rather fast, and made stuff near perfection thanks to my beta testers (well, it's not the same thing though).

My friends are testing the maps while I create them, they brought me some feedbacks and corrected stuff, it's just that in anything I do, I don't waste time, and I know what I'm going to do etc.

Here is the link to the 6-levels PWAD: http://ccirocky.free.fr/ccidoom2.rar

Individual maps without new sounds and musics: http://ccirocky.free.fr/ccidoom2_bis.rar (no docs included)

Have a good test, and don't worry, I'm open to any kind of critisism and all. ;)

EANB: By adding texture in the WAD? I have seen something about having bigger sky in the Legacy official site.

Looks like the first DSV, which was one of my favourite wads ever (i think i'm on the 5th playthrough right now). If it has the same gameplay it's gonna be awesome.

But i would agree, don't start out trying to make a full 32 level megawad, if you must "tell a story" through several levels, just make enough levels to do so, don't feel like you need to fill all the 'slots' just becayse they are there.

Yeah, that was (sadly) my intention, mainly because merging Resident Evil 1 and 2 levels makes only 15 maps for DOOM. Plus it's been too much times since I played RE3 (but I still have the official game guide with maps).

Well, my main wish is to make the levels I always wanted to make (all RE1 and RE2 maps).

On a side note, DSV is a PWAD, right? (I really don't know anything about PWAD since I'm more into speedrunning the 3 original episodes of DOOM :P).

While it's true that starting off with a megawad can be staggering and sometimes self defeating, some good or excellent megawads were first wads. It's a reasonable warning to give, but not all need heed it, and some fortunately have ignored it.

Well, I'll make my 15 planed maps, and I will see once I'm done if I continue with the others R.E. levels and continue the episode anyway.
Since when I'll finish those 15 maps I will keep on creating.

I have more fun creating maps for DOOM than back in time when I made Duke3D maps.

I tried making an megawad once and I failed making megawads is serious buisness you really need to be prepared to spend hours days months and even an couple of years on it.

If you want something that good its going to take an lot of time, but in this case I think starting small would be the best option for you so an nice mapset would be an good start get feedback on it use all of the suggestions you recieve for your future work.

For future reference try to put your wads in zip files.

I'm playing it now...

Scuba Steve said:

He is right, I tryed the same when I was new to mapping, it becomes overwhelming, with or with out a team... Start small and build up!
Rome was not built in a day :)

rar and zip are like the same thing, just downloaded winrar lol.

RAR isn't allowed on the archive though, for future reference

esselfortium said:

Listen to Scuba. He is a very wise man. 7 maps is a good number if you want to do a single episode set for Doom2, or you could just do one or two, or whatever. Everyone would much rather play one single perfect map than 32 mediocre ones. ;)

yes, but this guy does have Build engine experience, so I think that its safe to start out a little ambitious... 5-10 maps seems pretty reasonable.

EDEdDNEdDYFaN said:

rar and zip are like the same thing, just downloaded winrar lol.

RAR and ZIPs are not the same thing, since in order to unpack ZIPs you can use WinZip and to unpack RARs you need WinRar.

And what is up with your name, I can't make anything coherent out of it.

A long week of work passed, so I used my Saturday to sleep. Anyway, I started working on the MAP07 during the afternoon, and now I got it "done". Still needs to be tested by my friends, but I have tested it in skill 2 and 3 (will test in skill 4 later).

Whole episode of 7 levels from RE1 with sounds and BGM: http://ccirocky.free.fr/ccidoom2.zip

MAP07 only (no sounds/BGM): http://ccirocky.free.fr/ccidoom2_07.zip

Note that it looks retarted when you open the Blue Door because you'll listen to the "you have to kill John Romero" voice... In the "episode" archive the voice has been replaced of course. So don't be surprised if you take the level only.

Enjoy. ^^

it has potential but:
-very simplistic detail (map 7 is better)
-many unalligned textures
-unpeg sidedefs beneath doors/lifts/crushing ceilings
-you should make a titlepic and edit the intermission text since you already went through the trouble of replacing music/sounds
-custom textures?
-there MAY be a couple new/edited monsters out there that would fit in this. [edit: for more challenge/ambience]
-map7: i didn't go back and check the yellow, but you do not need to get the blue key at all, since you can walk right between the bars and press the switch.
-some of the secrets are a little hokey, and i expected at least one moving-bookshelf-secret.
-WAY too easy
-WAY too much ammo and health (this is based on a survival horror game, you should give the player a reason to want to hold onto each and every bullet and to struggle to not get damaged.)

well, i played through the whole thing, so that should tell you something. although, i can see this being a lot more interesting if more work were to be done.

Ah! Thank you very much for the test. :D

1- By details, you mean something like I did in the map07 when I wrote "B1" and the others?
2- Argh, I'll have to check then again. Thanks.
3- ?
4/5- I plan to do the graphical part... Later, when I'll have more time. :P But yeah, I planed to make a new title pic, and new sprites and all.
6- Also wanted to edit the zombies to act like in Resident Evil. Though I don't know if it's possible to load them from a WAD file (only used once dehacked, and it changes an EXE).
7- Oh shi-. Haven't even tried to see if there was such a bug. My bad. ;p
8- What do you mean by hokey and bookshelf? (sorry, I still need to practice my English :P)
9- Ah. Even in skill 4? Do you think it needs more monsters? Or more traps?
10- I admit the 2nd and 3rd MAPS have way too much ammos and life compared to... map06 and 07.

Before making MAP08, I'll recheck all the levels. I also have not really cared enough of the ammos/lifes in the different difficulty levels (worked on it for the monsters but not for the ammos).
I'll probably start the graphic part after September.

Thanks again for the test. :)

ironmugen said:

On a side note, DSV is a PWAD, right? (I really don't know anything about PWAD since I'm more into speedrunning the 3 original episodes of DOOM :P).

Well, when people mean it needs more detail, I advise you to go to play some PWADs... especially ones that are less than 5 years old (http://www.doomworld.com/11years / http://www.doomworld.com/12years / http://www.doomworld.com/13years are good places to start).

After playing some of these maps you might be able to see how... spacious/empty the rooms look. Don't get me wrong I think you've done a very good job so far (it's not as if I personally could do any better), and the original doom levels aren't THAT much better themselves, but things have moved on since the original levels. If your looking for perfection then this is just constructive criticism.

Otherwise I wish you good luck :)

Antidote said:

RAR and ZIPs are not the same thing, since in order to unpack ZIPs you can use WinZip and to unpack RARs you need WinRar.

And what is up with your name, I can't make anything coherent out of it.

Then just download winrar :(. It is not quite large and it can uncompress both zips and rars.

ed edd n eddy fan, old name that i've been using for a long time and been meaning to change but far too lazy to do so.

Ah yeah, I get what you mean by details. Now that you mention it, when I did the "last" room of map07 (with the Cyber Demon, and the triggering bomb to destroy the labs) I did more details than I planed to do like adding UAC boxes, something that looks like an helicopter on the sky...

When I made my first training maps (which are 2 deathmatch maps) and the 3 first maps of this episode, I had troubles with sectors and the facing of the lines. Now I can handle DOOM maps creation way better than I did when I started, that a good thing I guess.

I hope I get more free times before I go on vacations... :P