Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sporku

AgentSpork is up to no good again! :D

As you may or may not know, I haven't mapped in quite a while. The last time I seriously worked on a map was sometime in March, I believe. Since then I've gone on to cancel my megawad, Ultimate Simplicity, and have cut a lot of my ties with the Doom community. Essentially, I've lost most of my interest in the game in addition to what little interest I had in mapping for it.

So, what the fuck is this thread about, then? Well, I'll tell you! Some mystical force has compelled me to once again pick up mapping. Why? Hell if I know. What does this mean for you? Well, I can tell you already that I have no intention of finishing Ultimate Simplicity (completely disregard the fact that it's floating somewhere around 93% completion). Disappointed? I know I'm not! However, there's one map from the megawad's third episode I feel is worthy of being salvaged from the wad's wreckage and have decided to finish it.

It's just some semi-large map inspired by Espi's Suspended in Dusk, with some plutonia influence thrown into the mix. It'll probably be nowhere near as impressive, but it's not like I really care. Oh snap, have some screenshots!!!!:

Woah, an outside area? Shocking!
Gasp, a hallway. AgentSpork sure does like making those a lot.
Some kind of sewer area! Wowee!
I can't think of any witty description for this screenshot!
AgentSpork using height variation? IMPOSSIBLE.
Wow, look at all that symmetry!

Also, I was thinking about releasing the other 4 maps I finished from Episode 3 in a separate WAD as well. Why spend all that time working on crappy Doom maps only to leave them sitting there being used for absolutely nothing?

Boy, I sure am sarcastic.

EDIT:
Go here, since all of the screenshots linked obove are broken. :D

Awesome architecture, can't wait to see your enemy placement.

Good to see you back, Spork.

However, sadface that you aren't going to finish USimp.

AgentSpork said:

Well, I can tell you already that I have no intention of finishing Ultimate Simplicity (completely disregard the fact that it's floating somewhere around 93% completion). Disappointed? I know I'm not!

Oh dude... why can't you just finish Ultimate Simplicity if it is almost done?! I love it, like almost everyone does and it's just a bad feeling if I have lying around something so unfinished :( Do us - those who admire your work - a little favor and finish it :( Please, I beg you!

AgentSpork said:Suspended in Dusk[/B]

Ahah!!!!
That's the name of the wad! (Thank you so very much)
93%? What's still to be done on ultimate simplicity?

Tormentor667 said:

Oh dude... why can't you just finish Ultimate Simplicity if it is almost done?! I love it, like almost everyone does and it's just a bad feeling if I have lying around something so unfinished :( Do us - those who admire your work - a little favor and finish it :( Please, I beg you!

This is probably going to be my last map for a while. I'm not doing any more work on Ultimate Simplicity, aside from getting what I have done prepped and uploaded to the archives. Sorry.

doom2day said:

93%? What's still to be done on ultimate simplicity?

The last 4 maps of Episode 3 and a secret map, all of which were already being worked on at the time I cancelled the project.

Looks good, and I wish there was an easier way to map so that you could make more maps more often, and not have to stop when you're almost done *cough*

AgentSpork said:

Also, I was thinking about releasing the other 4 maps I finished from Episode 3 in a separate WAD as well.

If you do plan on releasing some of the Simplicity maps, why not pack them all up together with Episodes 1 and 2 and call it Ultimate Simplicity anyway? It's not the number of maps you had originally planned on doing for USimp, but it's certainly better than nothing.

AgentSpork said:

This is probably going to be my last map for a while. I'm not doing any more work on Ultimate Simplicity, aside from getting what I have done prepped and uploaded to the archives. Sorry.

The third episode would be fine with 5 maps as well and I'm sure nobody would complain. Why don't you integrate this last map into the episode to have a good ending and release that?

AgentSpork said:

...aside from getting what I have done prepped and uploaded to the archives.

ETA on release then? ;3

Graf Zahl said:

The third episode would be fine with 5 maps as well and I'm sure nobody would complain. Why don't you integrate this last map into the episode to have a good ending and release that?

I dunno, I don't think Episode 3 would fit in with Episode 1 and 2 without being completed. I was originally planning on having a final boss on the last map of the episode. Without one it seems kind of out of place, and I'm not about to add one in this map (I'm too lazy and I don't think it'd work well with that I had planned). I also don't think this map mixes very well with the other maps I have done from that episode. It doesn't help much that I already uploaded the 4 maps from Episode 3 to the archives, either. :P

I'll be uploading Ultimate Simplicity pretty soon, but it'll essentially just be the updated versions of Episode 1 and 2 and the Director's Cut episode. In my opinion, the updates made make it more than worth the download, especially in the case of Episode 1, where I pretty much scrapped the first 5 maps and remade them from scratch.

Don't question my plan, it's perfectly logical (not really). :D You see, I've salvaged what good is left in Ultimate Simplicity Episode 3 (this map that I'm working on now), and separated it from the trash (the first four maps). Then I went and separated Episode 3 from Episode 1 and 2 in order to keep all of the garbage (relatively) consistent. Why am I sorting garbage? Hell if I know, but it sounded like a good idea at the time. If I wanted to go even further than that, I'd probably separate Episode 1 and 2 because, quite frankly, Episode 2 just plain sucks ass, especially if you compare it to the first one. That might just be me, though.

Hopefully you've learned something about mapping in that time >:D

Use3D said:

Hopefully you've learned something about mapping in that time >:D

Barely. I've learned how to make layouts that don't suck so much anus. :D

AgentSpork said:

Barely. I've learned how to make layouts that don't suck so much anus. :D

^ Heh, I wish I could say the same.

If you've got a 90-something percent completed megawad i assume just a few more maps are needed, so just crap out some 5 minute jokemaps and make them the secrets. Or even slip a single SLIGE and OBLIGE one in there. Alternatively just release a 28-map wad of good maps... don't think anybody would hold it against you

Damnit finish those last few levels for USimp only 7% work is left to do it would be an shame to quit when you allready can see the finish line :p if there was 93% of work still to be done I could understand but 7% is peanuts.

Bweh its your call of course I hope it motivated you probably not but it was worth the shot.

its a shame spork, that you wont be mapping for a long while
i really liked your maps so much and as much as anyone did here

im disappointed that you wont be finishing Usimp, but im very glad your atleast making an effort to release the updated versions of the old simp maps, as well as what you finished in episode 3

btw, would you be so kind as to post the links to the maps you upload from your project on the archives? i missed those :(

AgentSpork said:

It's just some semi-large map inspired by Espi's Suspended in Dusk, with some plutonia influence thrown into the mix. It'll probably be nowhere near as impressive, but it's not like I really care. Oh snap, have some screenshots!!!!:

I looked at the screenshots and thought it reminded me of SiD, then read the post and saw this. I guess you're doing a good job. I loved SiD so I hope this will be good as well. Are you aiming to make this vanilla-compatible?

Hey, Agent Spork... if this can help and motivate you, I've just updated my web-site ("Outpost of Doom 2": http://www.webalice.it/sposito.lag) with a new review, that's about your "Temple of Chaos 2: Warped Reality", a very nice .WAD I liked very much! :) I'd really like to play and review the complete version of "Ultimate Simplicity"! =)

fraggle said:
Are you aiming to make this vanilla-compatible?

If doesn't look like it. The "sewer thingy" shot seems to show slopes and possibly translucency, and if it's a reworked Simplicity level it's likely still for ZDoom.

I could proabbly redo it and make the map limit removing compatible; it probably wouldn't require a lot of work aside from some retexturing. But of course, I'm lazy so there's a good chance it'll end up still being a ZDoom map. Still, there isn't really any logical reason why it should stay a ZDoom map, laziness aside. The only ZDoom features the map uses so far are a couple of decorative slopes, which of course don't enhance the map enough to even make it worth being ZDoom-only.