Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nightmare Doom

Video Games as a addiction?

Well it's not like alcoholism, which is a physical addiction. It would have to be purely mental, like gambling. People can get addicted to anything if they're of the right mindset.

Internet addiction is now recognized medically. I see no reason why video games can't be too.

Now granted it has to be really bad to be considered an addiction. It has to interfere with your everyday life. Like you're regularly staying home from work to play video games. That kind of thing.

They needed 111 more voting delegates to succeed in the name of the Beast. No quorum, no Hell for gamers.

And addiction is not so much too much of something as something you can't stop doing, that it hurts you.

By the look of things this would have been a "scientifically official" postulation of "gamers don't have a life".

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=14462

If you sit on your ass all weekend playing video games while you can be going out someplace it is safe to assume your addicted.

There's always a few nutcases in any activity that cast a negative stigma on the whole thing.
Normal, functional people don't get easily addicted.

Danarchy said:

Well it's not like alcoholism, which is a physical addiction.

A chemical inbalance in the brain to be the smartass, or so i read

Addiction is associated with cravings or feelings of withdrawal. A person can spend way too many hours playing games without craving them when not playing.

"A person can spend way too many hours playing games without craving them when not playing."

That varies very much from person to person though

fraggle said:

an

Thank you. That was bugging me. I assume this is a correction of the thread title.

Inferno said:

If you sit on your ass all weekend playing video games while you can be going out someplace it is safe to assume your addicted.

Oh dear :(

I play Phantasy Star Online, Doom, and other games enough to be considered "addicted" yet I stop whenever I want to, work, etc. Its not like cigarettes that actually addict you chemically. Its actually possible to easily stop playing.

People say I am addicted to the computer.

I say that is not true! I can stop whenever I feel like it!

...I just dont feel like it....

...Stop judging me!

I wouldnt worry about it, if its something we really like doing then there is some asshole expert who will say we are addicted and need to fork out 250 dollars and hour for therapy.

sex, chocolate, ice cream, booze, cigarettes, arguing in doom forums/chatrooms, masturbation, driving, watching movies, video games, basically anything thats fun or even boring crap like religion.

Some people have addictive personalities and genuinely become addicts but if they werent addicted to one thing it would be something else, they just habitually become addicted to stuff. The rest of us dont. No amount of therapy is going to change it.

Just a ploy to create a new avenue through which to restrict games and gaming, in my opinion. Glad that it didn't sail through so easily.